What is Microsoft Doing? (Little to No Notable Exclusives)

#1 Posted by darkknight9174 (247 posts) -

I'm no marketing or business strategist, but it seems to me like Microsoft has almost no coherent strategy for the Xbox product. Other than Forza, Gears and Halo, I can't think of any exclusives they have or have lined up. Gears 4 was actually a good game, and Halo 5 was, except for the single-player, pretty good also; however, Halo 5 was 3 years ago and Gears was 2. There has been a drought of exclusives for 2 years now. Serious question: what are they doing?

#2 Posted by SecretPolice (33977 posts) -

Sea of Thieves and State of Decay2 launched this year... Sheeesh!!!

/thread..

Plus... System Wars is that-a-way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

#3 Posted by robert_sparkes (1497 posts) -

Forza Horizon 4

#4 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10112 posts) -

Wow TC, how hard can it be to look up xBox One games? And bringing this ignorance into the wrong board? What a fail

#5 Posted by phbz (3728 posts) -

Wrong board.

#6 Posted by SaltSlasher (429 posts) -

Assuming even an ounce of actual shits you care, that anything I could tell you could even remotely change your mind...Why does Microsoft Studios have to do what Nintendo and Sony does? Xbox has a fan base who likes certain games and Xbox gives it to them. If you don't like them, then that's your problem. Certainly there is something to be said about not having something all the Ponies and Nintendo fans want, but Xbox isn't a Japanese Waifu Box. Sony pushed out a couple solid releases, and people want Xbox pronounced dead, yet Sony is tapped out so much they can't even do a PSX cause they couldn't possibly keep this up. Days Gone will not be a God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn.

Answer I'd give someone actually curious:
They released Ori and Blind Forest, Super Lucky's Tales and Cuphead, some of the best platformers out there. They revived many Rare games with Rare Replay, along of bringing back Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust, along with countless 360 era games, including remasters of GoW1 and nearly every Halo game. They had amazing non-1st party exclusives like ReCore, Dead Rising 3 and 4, Titanfall, Quantum Break, Ryse Son of Rome, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Sunset Overdrive. Forza has been the absolute best racing games on the market that only got better. PUGB has been one of the best shooters in years starting the battleground fad. Killer Instinct hasn't been absolute best fighter but still a good fighter. Gears and Halo are their bread and butter, but have released quality "streamer" multiplayer like games with Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2. Yeah Xbox could have done their own GoW and HZD, but they didn't, plenty of 3rd party games make those games.

#7 Posted by Celsius765 (2322 posts) -

At the very least Japanese games on Xbox are on the uptick

#8 Edited by TurboGraphix (477 posts) -

@saltslasher said:

Assuming even an ounce of actual shits you care, that anything I could tell you could even remotely change your mind...Why does Microsoft Studios have to do what Nintendo and Sony does? Xbox has a fan base who likes certain games and Xbox gives it to them. If you don't like them, then that's your problem. Certainly there is something to be said about not having something all the Ponies and Nintendo fans want, but Xbox isn't a Japanese Waifu Box. Sony pushed out a couple solid releases, and people want Xbox pronounced dead, yet Sony is tapped out so much they can't even do a PSX cause they couldn't possibly keep this up. Days Gone will not be a God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn.

Answer I'd give someone actually curious:

They released Ori and Blind Forest, Super Lucky's Tales and Cuphead, some of the best platformers out there. They revived many Rare games with Rare Replay, along of bringing back Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust, along with countless 360 era games, including remasters of GoW1 and nearly every Halo game. They had amazing non-1st party exclusives like ReCore, Dead Rising 3 and 4, Titanfall, Quantum Break, Ryse Son of Rome, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Sunset Overdrive. Forza has been the absolute best racing games on the market that only got better. PUGB has been one of the best shooters in years starting the battleground fad. Killer Instinct hasn't been absolute best fighter but still a good fighter. Gears and Halo are their bread and butter, but have released quality "streamer" multiplayer like games with Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2. Yeah Xbox could have done their own GoW and HZD, but they didn't, plenty of 3rd party games make those games.

I raise my glass to you, that was beautifully written.

State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 4 + Multi Plats is more than enough gaming for this year. Come next year you got Gears 5, that's going to be another 250+ hours of my life like it was with the previous entry lol.

#9 Edited by Jendeh (44 posts) -

I feel like I'm one of those rare people that owns multiple consoles and really doesn't want one to be better than the other. I admittedly was more pleased with last gen XBox than this one, but overall it hasn't been bad. State of Decay was fun as was Sunset Overdrive. My biggest issue with the XBox is that I'm not the gamer this console is aimed at. I don't like racing games, thus Forza isn't great for me and I've never cared for Halo (sacrilege I know).

All in all, I'm a singleplayer fan, and Sony has met my expectations in that regard and is my favorite console this gen. However, I'm someone who supports games over consoles and think that one console winning over the others isn't great for the consumer. I'm hoping that next gen has the XBox catching up with 1st party exclusives. These guys need to compete for our business.