"The Orange Box", "Left 4 Dead 2" and more are now X-Enhanced!

#1 Edited by Alucard_Prime (9793 posts) -

Fantastic news for X owners, these titles became backwards compatible a few months ago I believe, but now they are also Xbox One X Enhanced!!

Confirmed by Xbox twitter:

Xbox wire article:

The Backward Compatibility program has quickly become a hallmark feature of the Xbox family, and we love seeing people discover (or rediscover!) games they may have missed the first time around. Gamers have played over 1 billion hours of Xbox 360 and Original Xbox games on Xbox One – and we think our new release is only going to keep that momentum going.

Starting today, four new Xbox 360 titles will be available enhanced for Xbox One X: the historic collection of Half-Life 2: The Orange Box, Portal: Still Alive, Left 4 Dead, and Left 4 Dead 2. Whether players are revisiting these iconic titles or experiencing them for the first time, they’ll see them with the stunning visuals only the Xbox One X can deliver.

Xbox 360 games enhanced for Xbox One X run at a higher resolution and 9X the original pixel count. The power of Xbox One X enables the Xbox 360 emulator to showcase the very best version possible with the existing assets—all without touching the game code. Today’s additions join the 17 previously released enhanced Xbox 360 titles like Red Dead Redemption and Skate 3 for a total of 21 Xbox One X Enhanced Xbox 360 games.

New Xbox One X Enhanced titles announced today:

•Half-Life 2: The Orange Box

•Portal: Still Alive

•Left 4 Dead

•Left 4 Dead 2

Compatibility is important to Xbox, to developers and their games, and our community. Preserving gaming classics is part of the Backward Compatibility DNA, which is why Xbox One is the only console designed to play the best games of the past, present, and future. We’ll continue to deliver on our vision of compatibility and grow our current Backward Compatible library, which includes more than 500 Xbox 360 games, 21 Xbox One X Enhanced Xbox 360 titles, and 32 Original Xbox games, delivering quality, legacy gaming content to Xbox One gamers around the world.

#2 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17725 posts) -

I was really hoping for this, since Half Life 2 is my fav game of all time... Just tried Orange Box, and it looks fantastic! So sharp and hardly any jaggies anymore. Awesome!

#3 Posted by Alucard_Prime (9793 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: Awesome to hear, I figured you might post here as I remember you were a fan.....I already have the Orange box but was busy with other games, glad I waited a little, now I get to play it for the first time with modern graphics I will definitely make a bigger effort to play it now soon

#4 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17725 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime: Yeah I'll have to play it again now, lol.

#5 Posted by Alucard_Prime (9793 posts) -

Definitely going to try out one of my favorite games L4D2 shortly but having too much fun in FH4 Spring season for now !!

#6 Posted by BigBadBully (1978 posts) -

Awesome, felt something was fishy when updating my games the other day and noticed left 4 dead 2 was a pretty big update. Love the game, left 4 dead series is great for co-op. Now i just need time to break away from Forza Horizon 4.

#7 Posted by SaltSlasher (429 posts) -

Enhanced HL2 and Portal 2 is buy the X territory, its the console that keeps on giving. Crysis 1-3 was quite the add-ons but this is incredible.

#8 Posted by phbz (3728 posts) -

As soon as I saw it on twitter I had to try it. Much sharper, just a shame that it can't be 60fps. But it's a good excuse to play HL2 again and damn... this game is a timeless masterpiece.

#9 Posted by SecretPolice (33977 posts) -

Fantastic, it's been forever since I played some HL2 so I think this weekend will be a great time to give it a spin..... X1X Enhanced to boot. :D

#10 Posted by sukraj (27803 posts) -

I think I might try HL2 on the mighty X

#11 Posted by Worlds_Apart (47 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I was really hoping for this, since Half Life 2 is my fav game of all time... Just tried Orange Box, and it looks fantastic! So sharp and hardly any jaggies anymore. Awesome!

This quote of """Half Life 2 is my fav game of all time""" has got my interest. I've never played Half Life 2 before or any game in the Orange Box. I have both a 360 and the original Xbox. Do you think I should get Half Life 2 on the original Xbox or spend a bit more and get the Orange Box? Are the games included in the Orange Box worth it in your opinion?

#12 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17725 posts) -

@worlds_apart: Definitely get the Orange Box... it's one of the best game bundles ever released. Not only do you get Half Life 2, you get Episodes 1 & 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2.

#13 Posted by phbz (3728 posts) -

@worlds_apart: Episode 1&2 are great additions to HL2 and Portal is a fantastic game, I would rate it almost as highly as HL2 and I'm also of the opinion that HL2 is one of the best games ever made (easily on my top 5). Team Fortress is garbage IMO, but it definitely has it's fanbase.

#14 Posted by Worlds_Apart (47 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: & @phbz

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely be getting the Orange Box. The last game I got from reading positive comments on gamespot was F.E.A.R., what an awesome game!

#15 Posted by phbz (3728 posts) -

@worlds_apart: Cool. I always worry about recommending older games because usually people just care about new stuff and show little tolerance for how some things might feel dated. But if you enjoyed playing FEAR probably your heart is in the right place. Would like to know your opinion later, even if you end up not enjoying it.

#16 Edited by Worlds_Apart (47 posts) -

@phbz: Sure thing. I'm not too sure when I'll play it but I'll remember to share my opinion on it.

About older games, I've been playing games since the early 90s. There came a time when I kind of, but not completely, quit gaming. This was the PS2/Xbox era to the early PS3/360 era. I got back into gaming in 2010 and while I do enjoy modern games my priority is now to experience the older games I missed out on while I was away from gaming. Every new game that comes out now is pushed back to the end of the queue/backlog behind the older games. Most of the time I browse this web site just to read people's views and opinions about the older games I've never heard of, and whether I'll consider purchasing them.

#17 Posted by DUSTYPIPE (5 posts) -

For sure

#18 Edited by uninspiredcup (28566 posts) -

@worlds_apart said:

@hrt_rulz01:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

This quote of """Half Life 2 is my fav game of all time""" has got my interest. I've never played Half Life 2 before or any game in the Orange Box. I have both a 360 and the original Xbox. Do you think I should get Half Life 2 on the original Xbox or spend a bit more and get the Orange Box? Are the games included in the Orange Box worth it in your opinion?

The Orange Box version slightly upgraded Halflife 2's Original release.

The Pc version has "Halflife 2: Update" which updates it again to Episode 2 standards which out messing with the assets and such.

The original xbox, for simply being on the xbox was incredibly impressive, but it pales in comparison to even the original release.

Loading Video...

Episode 1 significantly improves the fire-fights and use of AI companion over the original Halflife 2. But it's ending and narrative is weak.

Episode 2 does all that, and improves the narrative, with slightly larger (not sandbox) maps.

So yea, if you enjoyed Halflife 2 the episodes are definitely worth dropping extra money.

#19 Posted by Worlds_Apart (47 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Thanks for the explanation! I ordered the Orange Box yesterday, can't wait!