Castlevania-Inspired "Dead Cells" coming August 7 and 20XX is out now

#1 Edited by Alucard_Prime (9793 posts) -

The awesome looking Steam game "Dead Cells" now has an official release date on Xbox One of August 7 and is up for digital pre-order. It looks incredible to me, as fan of 2D Castlevania type games as well as Roguelike titles such as the Binding of Isaac, I am stoked for this game.....the Steam reviews are glowing overall and it has been out there for a while now via early access.... announcement trailer below.

As well, and this was a complete surprise for me, we received another 2D Roguelike today, this one based on the Mega Man X series. From what I played so far it controls very well and has great 2D graphics. It is a roguelike game as well, and in that sense it is very different than the traditional Mega Man games. But what is super cool is that unlike the majority of Roguelikes I have played in the past, this one supports 2 players online. Loving it so far.

Trailers below for those interested

#2 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17725 posts) -

Yeah looks cool... definitely have to check it out.

#3 Posted by Alucard_Prime (9793 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: hopefully they have a good story too.....the best Roguelike games I have played managed to also have an interesting storyline(even the frequent dying/rpg elements mechanic is explained within the story itself). Many of them in this genre barely have any story at all, it's mostly about leaderboards and challenging gameplay....but some of them are quite good overall and can be very addictive.

#4 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17725 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime said:

@hrt_rulz01: hopefully they have a good story too.....the best Roguelike games I have played managed to also have an interesting storyline(even the frequent dying/rpg elements mechanic is explained within the story itself). Many of them in this genre barely have any story at all, it's mostly about leaderboards and challenging gameplay....but some of them are quite good overall and can be very addictive.

Yeah, ones with an interesting story definitely stand out from the crowd.

#5 Posted by Blueresident87 (5816 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime said:

I agree. I couldn't care less about leaderboards, I would much rather have a good story that is focused on a single-player experience.

#6 Edited by takspeed (256 posts) -

I love 2-D side scrollers like metroid and castlevania, glad there are still publishers out there making games like these. I remember i saw an aricle on this a while ago in xbox magazine. def gonna put this on my must buy list.

#7 Posted by robert_sparkes (1497 posts) -

Very interested in dead cells good to see Devs still putting these metroidvania style games out.