when will smartphones reach console level?

Avatar image for pcmasterrace69
#1 Posted by Pcmasterrace69 (311 posts) -

Hi. Im a truck driver and I stay 30 days in my truck away from home only to visit home for 2 days then back to work another 30 days.

I own consoles and pc but right now my free time is very short so I use a samsung s8 from last year as my entertainment device.

And today I woke up curious.

when will smartphones be capable of playing games that were on xbox 360 like oblivion. skyrim. gta 4 and 5..?

phones are more and more powerful every 1 or 2 years.. when will ps3/xbox 360 games port to smartphones?

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#2 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (5954 posts) -

Well the Switch is already there and it a portable console.

Just buy that, its cheaper than every flagship phone out there by a mile.

Smartphones will get there eventually in terms of hardware but the quality of games won't, so your only option will be a dedicated handheld console like a Switch if you want console gaming.

You won't regret it... Skyrim, Diablo 3, Dark Souls, Zelda, Mario on a hand held device if you want entertainment on the go there is nothing that can touch it.

Avatar image for rzxv04
#3 Posted by rzxv04 (237 posts) -

i think the latest smartphones already could but it seems to be a matter of getting those games into iOS and Android.

No idea why Skyrim and Fallout PS360 era games aren't there. I'm guessing it's more of a publisher choice but that's confusing, ps360 games have already been pirated to hell and back on all platforms why not try skinny dipping into iOS and see if they catch some fishes that actually pay.

Nvidia was really trying but they just gave up with the Shield platform.

Teams are probably just waiting for the Cloud.

Throttling and storage size might also be issues.

Maybe iOS and Android have rip-off deals to get games into those platforms.

Mobile is probably considered by industry to be f2p formula. I'm not sure if they'd be bothered to rearm ps360 era games as sheety f2ps.

Avatar image for pcmasterrace69
#4 Posted by Pcmasterrace69 (311 posts) -

thanks for both answers.

I own a switch but its battery lasts less than a phone almost half the time.

I like phone since it fits in any pockets and can do more than gaming. I can go to facebook. youtube. netflix. messeger. phone calls and sms. web browsing. produtivity..

On switch the moment I turn it on I have to choose a game and play it. I like the ability to multitask and do a variety of things.

I just wish ps3 and xbox 360 games come to smartphones. I mean real games.

But I think maybe flagship phones today maybe are just too weak for real games like oblivion and skyrim and gta 5 (all of them run on x360 and ps3).

Id love to find conclusive information on xbox 360 vs snapdragon 820, 830 and 845 or even A10 A11 A12 chips. I really want to know how they compare to last gen consoles

Avatar image for rzxv04
#5 Posted by rzxv04 (237 posts) -

@pcmasterrace69 said:

thanks for both answers.

I own a switch but its battery lasts less than a phone almost half the time.

I like phone since it fits in any pockets and can do more than gaming. I can go to facebook. youtube. netflix. messeger. phone calls and sms. web browsing. produtivity..

On switch the moment I turn it on I have to choose a game and play it. I like the ability to multitask and do a variety of things.

I just wish ps3 and xbox 360 games come to smartphones. I mean real games.

But I think maybe flagship phones today maybe are just too weak for real games like oblivion and skyrim and gta 5 (all of them run on x360 and ps3).

Id love to find conclusive information on xbox 360 vs snapdragon 820, 830 and 845 or even A10 A11 A12 chips. I really want to know how they compare to last gen consoles

Apple recently said that their new iPad Pro 2018 is comparable to the Xbone One S in performance. This could mean that you could have iPad Pro 2018 performance for your phone (Xbox One S) a few more years from now but we'll have a true next gen by then and as already mentioned, performance alone is not enough since mobile have already surpassed PS360 era specs but majority of the PS360 console titles haven't been on mobile.

I'm guessing GTA 5 could be a big impact on mobile depending on how they handle that and could invite more console class titles, whether PS360 gen or above. That'll probably be for a while though. iOS seems to be only for GTA SA.

Avatar image for ajstyles
#6 Posted by AJStyles (179 posts) -

Download Asphault 9 Legends if you want to experience a PS3/360 game on a phone.

Avatar image for pcmasterrace69
#7 Posted by Pcmasterrace69 (311 posts) -

@ajstyles: I dont like racers at all. I like almost every genre exept racers. I love rpg. shooters. open world. platformers.

Mobile games are mostly over simplistic both in graphics and gameplay.

Yea I heard about the new ipad pro being one s equivalent in raw power. The problem is that mobile developers seem to aim to mid and not to high end devices like note 9 or ipad pro.

I just wish ps3 x360 games to port to mobile soon but seems like a folish dream after all

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#8 Posted by uninspiredcup (28602 posts) -

A phone/tablet can easily reach Dreamcast level.

But they have no interesting in "quality" games, all about the whale hunting.

Avatar image for Rockman999
#9 Edited by Rockman999 (7257 posts) -

Since the Switch... or did you bozos forget the thing is literally a rebranded Nvidia android tablet?

Avatar image for adamosmaki
#10 Posted by adamosmaki (10630 posts) -

I doubt they will ever reach consoles. Maybe towards the end of life of consoles ( 4-5 years after they launched ) they will offer close performance to consoles but when new consoles launch they will be well behind and will again take them 4-5 years to come close.

Smartphones operate on a 3-4 Watts limits and consoles - gaming pcs are 150-300W devices so no matter what BS apple says no way they will offer similar performance

Avatar image for Basinboy
#11 Posted by Basinboy (13651 posts) -

The chipsets are already capable - PUBG and Fortnite are evidence enough, but there are plenty of others. Bioshock, for example, was released years ago on iOS, albeit there are inherent consolations in order to achieve an operable performance level. You’ll likely never have complete parity if games are designed with a specific device in mind, though this is typically unidirectional as you scale downward. As you scale upward the availability of resources allows you to brute force a whole bunch of other tasks absent in less resourceful devices, though many of those techniques are subject to the auspices of the programmers.

The greatest hardware hurdle for increased performance is power draw, hence why PCs can keep pushing the envelope because you can just get a bigger PSU capable of delivering the electrical needs of the chip. Until battery technology experiences some kind of breakthrough, mobile and consoles are simply stuck having to design more efficient chips at smaller and smaller sizes with less of an electrical demand.

Avatar image for vaidream45
#12 Posted by Vaidream45 (1303 posts) -

I agree with buying the Switch. It will satisfy that need. Phones are pretty much that powerful now. Especially tablets. Problem is they are much more expensive than consoles these days. So again I gotta say go for the Nintendo Switch.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#13 Posted by xantufrog (9820 posts) -

I think battery and absolutely shit interface is the main hangup. Touchscreen gaming only works for certain games built around it. Don't believe me? Try to play a Genesis game using onscreen buttons. It blows. Monkey chunks. Meanwhile, your phone's battery is dying a bloody death.

Someday, it won't be such a big deal - batteries are always getting better, and Switch-like control add-ons are become less craptacular. But's just not that pleasant right now, and I don't think power is the problem

Avatar image for DocSanchez
#14 Posted by DocSanchez (4876 posts) -

Never, because they tried smartphone game hybrids with buttons and no one bought them. So you will one day have the power of a console in your hand, and no buttons, just virtual ones on the screen, and they are inferior to even the most rudimentary 80s control schemes. I'd seriously go back to zx spectrum rubber keys over that.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#15 Edited by ronvalencia (26380 posts) -

@pcmasterrace69 said:

Hi. Im a truck driver and I stay 30 days in my truck away from home only to visit home for 2 days then back to work another 30 days.

I own consoles and pc but right now my free time is very short so I use a samsung s8 from last year as my entertainment device.

And today I woke up curious.

when will smartphones be capable of playing games that were on xbox 360 like oblivion. skyrim. gta 4 and 5..?

phones are more and more powerful every 1 or 2 years.. when will ps3/xbox 360 games port to smartphones?

Based on Ice Storm Unlimited physics and GPU scores and XBO type hardware, after 7 nm process tech mobile phone generation.

Mobile Phones follows process tech improvement including half node process tech improvements e.g. 28 nm to 20 nm to 14/16 nm to 12/10 nm to 7nm

Desktop game consoles follows process tech improvement e.g. 28 nm to 16 nm to 7 nm (expected for PS5 and Xbox.Next).

AMD's Polaris 30 GPU and Ryzen 2xxx CPU series has 12 nm which is a half node process tech improvement.

Avatar image for pcmasterrace69
#16 Edited by Pcmasterrace69 (311 posts) -

@ronvalencia: so... will phones play x360 and ps3 titles any soon? xD sorry Im a bit lost

DocSanchez disagree. I got wireless controller to play on mobile the problem is some games I want to play dont support it.

With any avarage bluetooth controller xbox 360 and ps3 games could run easily on any smartphone powerful enough ..

My question is.. well will mobile cpu and gpu reach enough power to run games that ran on those consoles

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#17 Posted by ronvalencia (26380 posts) -

@pcmasterrace69 said:

@ronvalencia: so... will phones play x360 and ps3 titles any soon? xD sorry Im a bit lost

DocSanchez disagree. I got wireless controller to play on mobile the problem is some games I want to play dont support it.

With any avarage bluetooth controller xbox 360 and ps3 games could run easily on any smartphone powerful enough ..

My question is.. well will mobile cpu and gpu reach enough power to run games that ran on those consoles

Yes, Tegra X1 level hardware is enough to rival PS3 and X360.