What game has the most immersive world?

• 82 results
#1 Edited by N64DD (11321 posts) -

I know I'll get flamed for it, but it's probably skyrim for me. Witcher 3 comes close.

I'm sure people will mention some games I forgot about.

#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (29939 posts) -

Stalker.

#3 Edited by lundy86_4 (51091 posts) -

Ahhh shit, that's a tough one. I think due to the sheer amount of times i've re-played the game, it's FF7. I was 10 when it released, and i've played it multiple times in my 32 years on this shithole of a planet.

#4 Posted by N64DD (11321 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

Ahhh shit, that's a tough one. I think due to the sheer amount of times i've re-played the game, it's FF7.

Was very easy to get lost in the world in FF 7.

#5 Posted by robert_sparkes (1997 posts) -

Easily skyrim the world makes replay ability very easy for me.

#6 Posted by lundy86_4 (51091 posts) -

@n64dd said:

I was much younger when playing, but it was the first RPG I put serious time into, and it really absorbed me. The closest follow-up would be FF8.

#7 Posted by N64DD (11321 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
@n64dd said:

I was much younger when playing, but it was the first RPG I put serious time into, and it really absorbed me. The closest follow-up would be FF8.

I tried playing it not too long ago and it couldn't help my interest though :(

#8 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (24815 posts) -

Fallout 2 or Witcher 3.

#9 Posted by AcidTango (1565 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

#10 Posted by Mandzilla (2660 posts) -

New Vegas was pretty great.

#11 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24932 posts) -

Far Cry 5 - reminds me of my home turf (Big Sky country). I enjoy just walking around in the game.

Far Cry 4 - Normally, I wouldn't mention it because of FC5. But, the latter doesn't have Reset Outpost Mode.

STALKER: Lost Alpha - the biggest world among the STALKER games.

Fallout 4 - it's the most modifiable open-world I have out of all the open-world games I have.

#12 Posted by ProtossRushX (4806 posts) -

FF6 theres a part in south figaro mansion where theres a breeze blowing through the window and you have to realize that an go down to behind the cellar

the worlds immersive as **** no other game comes close imo

#13 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42738 posts) -

The Witcher 3

TES Skyrim

#14 Posted by XVision84 (14759 posts) -

No flame, Skyrim is good :). I agree with the witcher 3.

I'll also put SOMA and Talos Principle on here.

#15 Posted by Pedro (32703 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma followed by Skyrim.

#16 Posted by DaVillain- (33689 posts) -

@n64dd said:

I know I'll get flamed for it, but it's probably skyrim for me. Witcher 3 comes close.

I'm sure people will mention some games I forgot about.

I actually agree with you on this one. I really love Skyrim & Witcher 3 but the first time I played Skyrim, the world was awesome and it's one of the best Bethesda game I for one enjoy. I mean, Skyrim has more world content then Witcher 3, but if we were to include Expansion pack like Blood & Wine, it blows Skyrim away lol.

But really though, I totally like both Skyrim & Witcher 3.

#17 Posted by Archangel3371 (26695 posts) -

My top five most immersive game worlds are probably:

- Breath of the Wild

- Skyrim

- The Witcher 3

- Fallout 4

- Dragon’s Dogma

#18 Edited by warmblur (1284 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs especially at night time with the neon lights in the Hong Kong setting so easy to get immersed. It's one of the reasons why it's my most replayed game.

#19 Posted by jdc6305 (4997 posts) -

Skyrim was pretty good.

My personal favorite was Metroid Prime 2. I just love every thing about the world.

#20 Edited by Jag85 (12564 posts) -

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy VII

Shenmue

World of Warcraft

TERA Online

#21 Posted by sakaiXx (4476 posts) -

Other than FFVIII, FFXII, Witcher series and maybe Yakuza series, my opinion goes to;

Bloodborne

Yep its world is one of horrors but yet I can't help but get immersed by Yharnam.

#22 Posted by appariti0n (2692 posts) -

I would have to go with Witcher 3 overall. The world was massively detailed, and the quality of most of the side content is right on par with the main story.

I found HZD to also be pretty immersive graphically, especially in the middle of a blizzard.

#23 Posted by AdobeArtist (25061 posts) -

The Witcher 3
Skyrim
Mass Effect series

#24 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24932 posts) -

There is no one size fits all game world to me. I also like a contemporary feel to the world. You know, things that are possible to happen in the real world I live in. I have a hard time getting immersed in a completely fantasy setting. Maybe when I was younger and daydreamed a lot. Nowadays? Nah. I also like to pretend it's me I'm controlling in the game. So, yeah. I'm the one in the game. ;)

Edit: 5 years ago, no one can make me like the STALKER and Fallout games. How things change. Ha Ha!

When it comes to darkness with jump scares and tension, I find the STALKER world the best.

STALKER: Lost Alpha DC
STALKER: Lost Alpha DC

If I want a post-apocalyptic setting with a sense of day to day familiarity, Fallout 4 has a leg up on the STALKER games.

When it comes to total freedom to explore and general appeal, Far Cry 5's world is it for me.

Damn sniper.....
Damn sniper.....

#25 Posted by MirkoS77 (13630 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Stalker.

Yea. Yea. Yea yea yea.

I'll throw one up for RDR2 as well.

#26 Edited by Yams1980 (3132 posts) -

Ultima 7 & Skyrim. Maybe Oblivion and Morrowind also.

Definitely World of Warcraft for the first few weeks. Really wore off fast though, but the initial feeling of going all through level 1 to 60 and seeing the world was very memorable first time through and i liked it.

#27 Posted by VitaminABullet (1 posts) -

The first really immersive experience I remember having was with Final Fantasy X. I was too young to more fully remember my experiences with FF7 and 8 but 8's music makes me amazingly nostalgic.

Once I started playing horror games though I really got immersed in the Silent Hill series, particularly SH2, SH3, and the critically panned SH Downpour (@ me bro :P)

Come to think of it, there are a LOT of horror games that have really immersed me in their world. To make this list short though, here are some non-horror titles:

The Witcher 3 (amazing experience), Wind Waker... there's nothing like being out to sea with those sounds and visuals. The Persona games (especially 3-5, I was never able to truly get immersed in 2:IS or 2:EP).

There are a LOT of games that easily immerse me but those are probably my top of the list games.

#28 Posted by sakaiXx (4476 posts) -

Stalker seems like it has a lot of fans. I never understood stalker, its buggy as heck when I first played it in 2007 and yes, quite hard. Seems like I should revisit the game someday

#31 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18116 posts) -

@warmblur said:

Sleeping Dogs especially at night time with the neon lights in the Hong Kong setting so easy to get immersed. It's one of the reasons why it's my most replayed game.

Damn that game is underrated/underappreciated. It's so good. Such a shame the studio closed.

Anyway, it's still Witcher 3 for me. Followed closely by RDR2, Bioshock and Half-Life 2.

#32 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24932 posts) -
@sakaixx said:

Stalker seems like it has a lot of fans. I never understood stalker, its buggy as heck when I first played it in 2007 and yes, quite hard. Seems like I should revisit the game someday

It's not that hard once your reflexes get used to the games....and you get to know the enemies. Of course, it's a no brainer to think your character will die anyway at some point.

Two things turned me off back then. 1. The general bugginess and unoptimized feel. 2. They were all butt-ugly. But, mods and game patches took care of my gripes.

#33 Edited by AJStyles (342 posts) -

Fallout 3.

#34 Posted by KBFloYd (21225 posts) -

metroid Prime

Avatar image for deactivated-5c38b6bb4b978
#35 Edited by deactivated-5c38b6bb4b978 (45 posts) -

There are so many - top 5 or 6 off the top of my head

Fallout 4

Final Fantasy IX / X

The Last of Us

Skyrim

Mass Effect 2

Honorable Mention: Dead Space

I haven't played Witcher 3. Horizon Zero Dawn would have made one of my top 5 easily but for the cringe they injected into the dialogue throughout the game that kept jarring me out of being totally immersed in it.

#36 Posted by xantufrog (10323 posts) -

As much as I grouse about Skyrim, I'd agree that it and TES in general offer an exceptionally immersive world.

I think TW3 and Dragon Age warrant honorable mentions, as well as the Fallout reboot.

Going back in time, nothing is immersive like immersive sims. Thief drags you into a sense of presence like nothing else

#37 Edited by Pikminmaniac (11331 posts) -

I actually thought about this a bit and it turns out I'm going to mention 2 Zelda games

-Majora's Mask because the day cycles and each character having their own schedules made a world so real and believable to me at the time that it really blew my mind. It still impresses me how well it's all well designed.

-Breath of the Wild because of just how perfectly everything functions. If you can think of something that would work logically, chances are they will. It's truly an incredible step forward in the genre.

#38 Posted by Ibacai (13747 posts) -

I really love Skyrim and TW3 for the immersion they both provide but I’m going to have to give it up to Planescape Torment for being the game that sucked me in the most.

Horizon Zero Dawn, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect all get honorable mentions.

#39 Posted by sakaiXx (4476 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@sakaixx said:

It's not that hard once your reflexes get used to the games....and you get to know the enemies. Of course, it's a no brainer to think your character will die anyway at some point.

Two things turned me off back then. 1. The general bugginess and unoptimized feel. 2. They were all butt-ugly. But, mods and game patches took care of my gripes.

If only mods were as diligent then when I first played it. Oh well will try it someday, hopefully the mods work with my original copy

#40 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24932 posts) -
@sakaixx said:

If only mods were as diligent then when I first played it. Oh well will try it someday, hopefully the mods work with my original copy

I think the disc versions should do okay. But, I switched to the GoG versions and modded those. You can also try STALKER: Lost Alpha DC. It's fan-made and free.

The latest and final version (1.4007) recently released. It seems more colorful than the previous versions. Looks like it has a new Hardcore Mode different from Master Difficulty. I guess I'm starting a new Lost Alpha playthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSTKfKZgXK8

#41 Posted by henrythefifth (2015 posts) -

GTAIV for sure.

#42 Edited by Litchie (22863 posts) -

STALKER, Metroid Prime, Breath of the Wild, Wind Waker, Another World, Morrowind.

#43 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8313 posts) -

Zone in STALKER is probably most immersive gaming world ever. you are immersed in the world like no other.

#44 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15632 posts) -

Morrowind. Just everything came together for that game, as far as atmosphere goes. Yeah, the combat and animation suck (it's Bethesda) but the world itself grabbed me by the mouse balls. The whole province was so alien, and so were you which is why everyone hated you.

The interplay between the great houses, the whole reincarnate bit, first visit to Vivec (city), silt striders, ash storms and DAG DANG CLIFFRACERS.

And dat story. Not gonna spoil.

In better technical hands Morrowind could have been right up there with Black Isle and Origins best.

#45 Posted by pdogg93 (1242 posts) -

World of Warcraft /thread

#46 Edited by pelvist (7228 posts) -

Probably Everquest for me back in the day. STALKER immediately came to mind though and I cant think of a more immersive world than those two games.

#47 Posted by Dagubot (1081 posts) -

Final Fantasy VII was awesome for me back when I was a kid playing through it. Kingdom Hearts was also another one; just traveling to the different planets. Grand Theft Auto Vice City.

As I got older I enjoyed Fallout 3, World of Warcraft, and most recently been enjoying Breath of the Wild.

#48 Posted by Robbie23 (153 posts) -

Yakuza kiwami 2

#49 Posted by scatteh316 (10057 posts) -

Horizon:ZD......... there's something about it's world with 1000 year old wrecks and traces of the 'old ones' that I just love.

#50 Posted by rzxv04 (332 posts) -

FO3 and Skyrim for me. Both were the 2 earliest experiences with modern game open-worlds.

Kinda got a bit jaded after that.