TV wars? QLED vs OLED

Avatar image for artillery77
#201 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@MonsieurX: lmao rtings is full of it!

Avatar image for artillery77
#202 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=shfA7TxeAN8

Avatar image for general_solo76
#203 Posted by General_Solo76 (511 posts) -

Oled is king right now.....it’s not even debatable

Avatar image for artillery77
#204 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@general_solo76: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CevDWRn-3-s

Avatar image for n64dd
#205 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@general_solo76: amen

Avatar image for dxmcat
#206 Posted by dxmcat (2477 posts) -

Still not going to run an OLED on a PC. Sorry.

Avatar image for artillery77
#207 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@dxmcat: if you game on an Oled. You are slow on the uptake or you are rich. There is no other excuse!

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#208 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2542 posts) -

I admit OLED is the king, but I'm not spending OLED money. My home theater will have a Samsung QLED, 82" Q8fn. I'm not spending $7K-$15K on a TV...

Avatar image for n64dd
#209 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

I admit OLED is the king, but I'm not spending OLED money. My home theater will have a Samsung QLED, 82" Q8fn. I'm not spending $7K-$15K on a TV...

Good oleds for under 2000...

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#210 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2542 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@goldenelementxl said:

I admit OLED is the king, but I'm not spending OLED money. My home theater will have a Samsung QLED, 82" Q8fn. I'm not spending $7K-$15K on a TV...

Good oleds for under 2000...

Not at the 80+ inches size

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#211 Posted by SecretPolice (34321 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: @n64dd:

What do you two think of this one for $2250.00?

LG OLED65E8P 65" 4K HDR Smart AI OLED TV w/ ThinQ - 65" Class - OLED65E8PUA

Avatar image for n64dd
#212 Edited by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

@goldenelementxl: @n64dd:

What do you two think of this one for $2250.00?

LG OLED65E8P 65" 4K HDR Smart AI OLED TV w/ ThinQ - 65" Class - OLED65E8PUA

Very solid tv. get it.

@artillery77 You're off your rocker.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#213 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (5980 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@goldenelementxl said:

I admit OLED is the king, but I'm not spending OLED money. My home theater will have a Samsung QLED, 82" Q8fn. I'm not spending $7K-$15K on a TV...

Good oleds for under 2000...

He wants a big TV.

Something that I too after getting a 55" sort of regret not going for... 65-75 I should have just ignored my wife.

55" is too small to fully enjoy 4K IMHO. HD was a big jump but 4K... Nah. Overrated resolution for TV's smaller than 55".

I watched 4K content on my TV and its not a huge jump over standard Bluray... And games running at 1440p don't look that different compared to 4K unless your a foot away. Slightly sharper.

65-75 that's where its at... I am tempted to sell my QLED or throwing it in the bed room and getting a 75 inch OLED/QLED for the game room but I'll wait till a new generation of LG or Samsung TV's come around so maybe in a years time.

Avatar image for n64dd
#214 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@n64dd said:
@goldenelementxl said:

I admit OLED is the king, but I'm not spending OLED money. My home theater will have a Samsung QLED, 82" Q8fn. I'm not spending $7K-$15K on a TV...

Good oleds for under 2000...

He wants a big TV.

Something that I too after getting a 55" sort of regret not going for... 65-75 I should have just ignored my wife.

55" is too small to fully enjoy 4K IMHO. HD was a big jump but 4K... Nah. Overrated resolution for TV's smaller than 55".

I watched 4K content on my TV and its not a huge jump over standard Bluray... And games running at 1440p don't look that different compared to 4K unless your a foot away. Slightly sharper.

65-75 that's where its at... I am tempted to sell my QLED or throwing it in the bed room and getting a 75 inch OLED/QLED for the game room but I'll wait till a new generation of LG or Samsung TV's come around so maybe in a years time.

i have a 65 Oled. To me the bigger jump was true HDR. I noticed the 4k difference at a 50 inch though, and it was noticeable to me. Watch house of cards on 4k, then watch it on regular HDR and you'll notice a huge difference in just the intro alone.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#215 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2542 posts) -

@n64dd: Wait, are you streaming your 4K content?

Avatar image for n64dd
#216 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

@n64dd: Wait, are you streaming your 4K content?

Stream and I have a ton of 4k blu rays.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#217 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (5980 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

@n64dd: Wait, are you streaming your 4K content?

Yeah I was just about to ask him that.

4K streamed content looks no better than standard bluray to me... In fact Bluray due to the compression on streaming has better dynamic range, contrast and colour in comparison.

4K Bluray is a different story but that depends on the movie if its upscaled or native 4k since majority of movies are master at 2K its not much of a jump aside from the addition of HDR.

That being said from my experience 4K is overrated... Especially with gaming which I have tested by going from 1440p to native 4K while playing on my PC hooked up to the TV and honestly its hard to tell the difference unless you lean forward and focus and I have 20/20 vision.

I think people just love hyping things, its the same as people who keep talking about the next iphone rumours... Like they are in desperate need to have something to get excited about or something.

Avatar image for n64dd
#218 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@goldenelementxl said:

@n64dd: Wait, are you streaming your 4K content?

Yeah I was just about to ask him that.

4K streamed content looks no better than standard bluray to me... In fact Bluray due to the compression on streaming has better dynamic range, contrast and colour in comparison.

4K Bluray is a different story but that depends on the movie if its upscaled or native 4k since majority of movies are master at 2K its not much of a jump aside from the addition of HDR.

That being said from my experience 4K is overrated... Especially with gaming which I have tested by going from 1440p to native 4K while playing on my PC hooked up to the TV and honestly its hard to tell the difference unless you lean forward and focus and I have 20/20 vision.

I think people just love hyping things, its the same as people who keep talking about the next iphone rumours... Like they are in desperate need to have something to get excited about or something.

You guys have bad eyes then.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#219 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2542 posts) -

@n64dd: Streaming 4K is a goddamn scam.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#220 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (5980 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@goldenelementxl said:

@n64dd: Wait, are you streaming your 4K content?

Yeah I was just about to ask him that.

4K streamed content looks no better than standard bluray to me... In fact Bluray due to the compression on streaming has better dynamic range, contrast and colour in comparison.

4K Bluray is a different story but that depends on the movie if its upscaled or native 4k since majority of movies are master at 2K its not much of a jump aside from the addition of HDR.

That being said from my experience 4K is overrated... Especially with gaming which I have tested by going from 1440p to native 4K while playing on my PC hooked up to the TV and honestly its hard to tell the difference unless you lean forward and focus and I have 20/20 vision.

I think people just love hyping things, its the same as people who keep talking about the next iphone rumours... Like they are in desperate need to have something to get excited about or something.

You guys have bad eyes then.

WE have bad eyes?...

We compare a 4K stream with a 1080p Blu-ray. Shading, especially in the dark, is more nuanced on the Blu-ray. Colours are richer and more solid. You may not get the outright sharpness of a good 4K stream, but it is at maximum resolution the moment the video starts playing, and the latest 4K TVs do a good job of upscaling.

http://www.whathifi.com/features/4k-streaming-vs-4k-blu-ray-vs-blu-ray-which-best

Also:

Loading Video...

I can find more... But I'm too lazy, stop hyping things.

HDR is hit and miss and 4K on movies unless they are native 4K which is rare is borderline meh and in Gaming its worth it but not a huge difference once you go 1440p and beyond unless you have a 65 or bigger TV.

HDR I love... But its so RARELY done right. I mean Jesus Red Dead Redemption 2's implementation is a joke on all consoles.

Avatar image for n64dd
#221 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: not at all. I can spot the difference every time

Avatar image for dxmcat
#222 Posted by dxmcat (2477 posts) -

I'm ~3 feet from my displays. 40" or 50".........I can see the difference 4k makes.

Avatar image for artillery77
#223 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@n64dd: you missed the point! If you can throw away 2 grand that easy knowing the tech is massively flawed then you must be more well off than most average joes. If you refuse to do your research and game on oled you are slow on the uptake.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMJquCSopS8

Avatar image for n64dd
#224 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@artillery77 said:

@n64dd: you missed the point! If you can throw away 2 grand that easy knowing the tech is massively flawed then you must be more well off than most average joes. If you refuse to do your research and game on oled you are slow on the uptake.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMJquCSopS8

I researched greatly and my set retails for around 2600 bucks right now.

OLED is superior. If you're doing PC gaming or using it as a monitor, i'd go QLED. QLED is just a marketing ploy though.

Avatar image for artillery77
#225 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@n64dd: you paid 2600 for a tv that will eventually have image retention, burn in, and the color will fade. Not covered under warranty either. Inferior brightness, Inferior input lag, inferior color. Basically you got taken so you get crisp deep blacks for a couple years. Also quantum dot is a real tech which makes color amazing. It's no ploy, but is overpriced.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9YqGyBFQO9c&t=459s

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#226 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2534 posts) -

@artillery77: Oleds from 2016 onwards have like 30 year life cycle for average viewing hours before the chance of losing any color.

Avatar image for artillery77
#227 Edited by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@blackhairedhero: lol The tech is like 4 years old. How could they possibly know that?

On TVs anyway and less than decade period. How many vita users still have a good screen. Not many I'd presume.

Avatar image for n64dd
#228 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@artillery77: In 5 years i’ll probably replace it with something newer. Image retention isn’t that big of a deal and you’re confusing Image retention with burn in.

As posted these will last way beyond my desired life span.

Qled is pure shit unless you go top end.

Micro LED will be the next jump.

Avatar image for artillery77
#229 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@n64dd: you keep lying to yourself. I'm not confusing anything buddy. Image retention and burn in are both 100 percent guaranteed at some point on some level with oled. Especially with static images on screen. Good luck with it lasting 5 years. And paying 2 to 4 grand for something that has a defect and making excuses for it is weak. Image retention is extremely annoying.

Avatar image for n64dd
#230 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@artillery77: I have already dealt with image retention. It’s a non-issue.

Do you own an oled or qled?

Avatar image for artillery77
#231 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@n64dd: I bought the q9f 65 2 days ago. After much research. Price is steep than it should be but it's crazy close to oled display with better brightness and input lag. The Oleds are certainly great displays. Just the risks are to high imo. Anyway don't mean to knock your choice to each there own.

Avatar image for n64dd
#232 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@artillery77: lol biggie, can you link what you bought? Just curious.

Avatar image for artillery77
#233 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-led-q9f-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6200120.p?skuId=6200120&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1260573&ds_rl=1266837&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA5qTfBRAoEiwAwQy-6czHKJs1Ld37vrojwzkYvqH41sRJ2tnvHeiArbr7bwM76rgaULrI5xoCqeMQAvD_BwE

Avatar image for Chutebox
#234 Edited by Chutebox (44086 posts) -
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@n64dd said:
@goldenelementxl said:

I admit OLED is the king, but I'm not spending OLED money. My home theater will have a Samsung QLED, 82" Q8fn. I'm not spending $7K-$15K on a TV...

Good oleds for under 2000...

He wants a big TV.

Something that I too after getting a 55" sort of regret not going for... 65-75 I should have just ignored my wife.

55" is too small to fully enjoy 4K IMHO. HD was a big jump but 4K... Nah. Overrated resolution for TV's smaller than 55".

I watched 4K content on my TV and its not a huge jump over standard Bluray... And games running at 1440p don't look that different compared to 4K unless your a foot away. Slightly sharper.

65-75 that's where its at... I am tempted to sell my QLED or throwing it in the bed room and getting a 75 inch OLED/QLED for the game room but I'll wait till a new generation of LG or Samsung TV's come around so maybe in a years time.

This is common knowledge when purchasing a tv. Come on, man.

Avatar image for n64dd
#235 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@artillery77: OLED and what you posted are in different leagues. You have to blow 7k-8k for their flagship.

That being said, your tv is brighter has better input lag.

Avatar image for artillery77
#236 Edited by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@n64dd: no they aren't.....they have them side by side at my best buy. The blacks are a bit deeper on the oled but brightness and color go to qled. Oleds display is only slightly better. It's very suttle and you have to study the screens side by side to see it. Far from the propaganda nonsense LG tries to spew. When you add all the burn in and image retention it just isn't the smart choice for the money imo.

Avatar image for n64dd
#237 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@artillery77: agree to disagree, we’re both gaming in style though ;)

Avatar image for artillery77
#238 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@n64dd: True story!

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#239 Posted by Shewgenja (20933 posts) -

qled is just lcd, people.

Avatar image for n64dd
#240 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

qled is just lcd, people.

this

Avatar image for artillery77
#241 Edited by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@n64dd: Do some actual research instead of regurgitating drivel from simple minded people!

Avatar image for n64dd
#242 Posted by N64DD (11319 posts) -

@artillery77 said:

@n64dd: Do some actual research instead of regurgitating drivel from simple minded people!

I did, a lot. QLED's have the same downfall of having a backlight for the whole panel. Only ones that are close are the top end variants.

Avatar image for jahnee
#243 Edited by jahnee (3864 posts) -

*Better value proposition compared to a gaming pc (like the Xbox one X)

*Polished exclusive single player games (like the Playstation 4)

*Solid multiplayer games (like most multi-platform and Xbox games)

*4k Blu ray drive

*Mouse and keyboard support for external apps and some specific games

*Revolutionary graphics that make gaming come closer to movies and feel more engaging

*A great dashboard (OG Xbox 360 dashboard remains my favourite)

*Innovative design to the controllers

*Sleek and quiet console

*Backwards compatibility

That's it I think. Xbox one X checks most of those marks for me, and is my favourite console of all time.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#244 Edited by Shewgenja (20933 posts) -

My parents got a Sony A8F on Black Friday. Damn, that is a nice picture! I also got to see the A9F and almost jumped, but I think I honestly do want a fully 2.1 set after all with the higher framerates and frame sync support. PS5 and maybe Scarlet would be best with a set with those features. Here's to me waiting yet another year...

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#245 Posted by Shewgenja (20933 posts) -

@artillery77 said:

@n64dd: Do some actual research instead of regurgitating drivel from simple minded people!

lol! dimming zones! Begone, plebeian.

Avatar image for artillery77
#246 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@Shewgenja: if you buy oled you're an uninformed sucker buying into the bs hype!

Avatar image for pyro1245
#247 Posted by pyro1245 (4403 posts) -

Where my micro-LEDs at!?

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#248 Edited by Shewgenja (20933 posts) -

@artillery77 said:

@Shewgenja: if you buy oled you're an uninformed sucker buying into the bs hype!

Or, I'm a discerning connoisseur for image quality above low-rent marketectures that have a long path of improvement ahead of them that only collides with the advent of newer technologies that will eclipse it, anyways. Once 8K tvs come into their own, the micro-led will be out of the lab and "QLED" will be but a flash in the pan. Currently, the pixel refresh is not where it needs to be on the new tech, but it will get there.

I mean, for Christs sake man, you're cheering a television that has a giant Q where an O should be on the box and marketing literature to confuse suckers.

Avatar image for EG101
#249 Posted by EG101 (1896 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

My parents got a Sony A8F on Black Friday. Damn, that is a nice picture! I also got to see the A9F and almost jumped, but I think I honestly do want a fully 2.1 set after all with the higher framerates and frame sync support. PS5 and maybe Scarlet would be best with a set with those features. Here's to me waiting yet another year...

Nah XB1X works fine with Samsung's current QLED TV's that have Variable Refresh. No need to wait for Next Gen.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#250 Posted by Howmakewood (5567 posts) -
@EG101 said:
@Shewgenja said:

My parents got a Sony A8F on Black Friday. Damn, that is a nice picture! I also got to see the A9F and almost jumped, but I think I honestly do want a fully 2.1 set after all with the higher framerates and frame sync support. PS5 and maybe Scarlet would be best with a set with those features. Here's to me waiting yet another year...

Nah XB1X works fine with Samsung's current QLED TV's that have Variable Refresh. No need to wait for Next Gen.

Yeah and it's useless in most games as they are 30fps which is below the freesync range in those...