TV wars? QLED vs OLED

#51 Edited by Xplode_games (1924 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime said:

Been a while since I did my research but as far as I know OLED will have superior image quality overall, and some people confuse Burn-in with Image retention. Burn-In is permanent and as long as you don't do something crazy and have some screen savers that turn on after inactivity, you should be fine.

But I've read image retention can happen on OLED, like the HUD from your previous game might still show signs when you load your next game, but will disappear after a few min....something like that. Anyways, I've got the KS8000 and I'm quite happy with it, QLED is like the successor to that and it's better overall, closer to OLED quality but OLED is still the best picture quality as far as I know.....however while OLED has overall better image quality, it's not better in every single category and you can read up on some review sites to find out more differences. I've read people complain that OLED doesn't seem as bright as LED for instance, that's probably more about preference than anything though.

OLED has a lot better image quality for a good reason. I will explain. QLED is just LED. The exact same technology. They call it QLED to make it seem comparable to OLED. Here is the main reason it can't compete with OLED, the backlighting.

With QLED, you have divided zones in the back of the tv that can be turned on and off on any given scene. It's called Full Array Local Dimming or FALD. During a scene that has dark and bright areas on it such as bright lights during a night scene, the zones in the dark sections can be turned off while the ones that affect the bright part of the screen will be turned on giving it a lot better contrast. Of course this has it's limits due to how many zones the TV has and how well it is implemented. The best LED tvs usually have something like 100 zones, sometimes you get pretty good results with less zones. For example, the Sony 900E has 40 zones if i'm not mistaken.

With OLED, each individual pixel can be turned off or on at any time. So in effect with an OLED you have over 8 million pixes and "zones" that can be individually lit to best represent that scene. As you can imagine it is vastly superior to LED.

The advantage of LED comes when you put your TV in a bright room and that causes of course the screen to look washed out or maybe there are reflections on the screen. When you have that situation you need a lot of internal brightness on the TVs part to offset that. That's where LEDs come in. In very bright rooms they can get super bright to look good. OLEDs don't get as bright so in very bright rooms, the QLED or LED will look better.

At night or in dark rooms there is no comparison. OLEDS are just vastly superior.

As far as burn in is concerned it is a small problem with OLED TVs. However, if you don't go crazy and just leave a static image on it all day and night you shouldn't have any problems. I would recommend an OLED for movie watchers and gamers. Even heavy hard core gamers that do a lot of gaming, OLED is the one for you as long as you can afford it. What I wouldn't recommend is using an OLED as a PC monitor. Right now I wouldn't go that route. If you want to do that just get an LED. My two cents.

#52 Posted by N64DD (11192 posts) -

@Xplode_games said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

Been a while since I did my research but as far as I know OLED will have superior image quality overall, and some people confuse Burn-in with Image retention. Burn-In is permanent and as long as you don't do something crazy and have some screen savers that turn on after inactivity, you should be fine.

But I've read image retention can happen on OLED, like the HUD from your previous game might still show signs when you load your next game, but will disappear after a few min....something like that. Anyways, I've got the KS8000 and I'm quite happy with it, QLED is like the successor to that and it's better overall, closer to OLED quality but OLED is still the best picture quality as far as I know.....however while OLED has overall better image quality, it's not better in every single category and you can read up on some review sites to find out more differences. I've read people complain that OLED doesn't seem as bright as LED for instance, that's probably more about preference than anything though.

OLED has a lot better image quality for a good reason. I will explain. QLED is just LED. The exact same technology. They call it QLED to make it seem comparable to OLED. Here is the main reason it can't compete with OLED, the backlighting.

With QLED, you have divided zones in the back of the tv that can be turned on and off on any given scene. It's called Full Array Local Dimming or FALD. During a scene that has dark and bright areas on it such as bright lights during a night scene, the zones in the dark sections can be turned off while the ones that affect the bright part of the screen will be turned on giving it a lot better contrast. Of course this has it's limits due to how many zones the TV has and how well it is implemented. The best LED tvs usually have something like 100 zones, sometimes you get pretty good results with less zones. For example, the Sony 900E has 40 zones if i'm not mistaken.

With OLED, each individual pixel can be turned off or on at any time. So in effect with an OLED you have over 8 million pixes and "zones" that can be individually lit to best represent that scene. As you can imagine it is vastly superior to LED.

The advantage of LED comes when you put your TV in a bright room and that causes of course the screen to look washed out or maybe there are reflections on the screen. When you have that situation you need a lot of internal brightness on the TVs part to offset that. That's where LEDs come in. In very bright rooms they can get super bright to look good. OLEDs don't get as bright so in very bright rooms, the QLED or LED will look better.

At night or in dark rooms there is no comparison. OLEDS are just vastly superior.

As far as burn in is concerned it is a small problem with OLED TVs. However, if you don't go crazy and just leave a static image on it all day and night you shouldn't have any problems. I would recommend an OLED for movie watchers and gamers. Even heavy hard core gamers that do a lot of gaming, OLED is the one for you as long as you can afford it. What I wouldn't recommend is using an OLED as a PC monitor. Right now I wouldn't go that route. If you want to do that just get an LED. My two cents.

Very informative. Thanks! I'm going the LED route. Going to look at some probably tonight.

#53 Posted by Xplode_games (1924 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Xplode_games said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

Very informative. Thanks! I'm going the LED route. Going to look at some probably tonight.

What size are you planning to buy? Based on the size maybe I can make a couple of recommendations.

#54 Posted by N64DD (11192 posts) -

@Xplode_games said:
@n64dd said:
@Xplode_games said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

What size are you planning to buy? Based on the size maybe I can make a couple of recommendations.

65 inch most likely. I'm all ears.

#55 Edited by Xplode_games (1924 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Xplode_games said:
@n64dd said:
@Xplode_games said:

If you want great image quality and cheap then there is one choice that is going to be very hard to beat. I recommend the TCL 2018 6 series. It has 120 dimming zones, a high contrast and great response time. It's MSRP is only $999!

Do your own research but this is a TV you can find in your local bestbuy so you can go in and take a look at it yourself. Click on the links below for a cnet review and bestbuy page.

http://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55r615-2018-roku-tv/review/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551

#57 Edited by schu (9915 posts) -

I'm a bit confused because I was just looking at these in person and I preferred the Samsung QLED over the OLED. It looked very vibrant and real.

#58 Edited by Epak_ (10468 posts) -

@Xplode_games said:
@n64dd said:
@Xplode_games said:
@n64dd said:

If you want great image quality and cheap then there is one choice that is going to be very hard to beat. I recommend the TCL 2018 6 series. It has 120 dimming zones, a high contrast and great response time. It's MSRP is only $999!

Do your own research but this is a TV you can find in your local bestbuy so you can go in and take a look at it yourself. Click on the links below for a cnet review and bestbuy page.

http://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55r615-2018-roku-tv/review/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551

Was ready to call the TCL crap, but according to rtings it seems like a decent set especially for the price. Wish there was a 75" option, I might be interested in that.

#59 Posted by JtoThaMtoThaP (1015 posts) -

@Epak_: I never thought I would buy a TCL....but after I did some reading and checked out rtings breakdown, I bought the 65"....on sale for 969 at Best Buy

#60 Edited by bigfootpart2 (1136 posts) -

Under $1000 = get a TCL 6 series with ROKU

Budget over $1000 = get an LG OLED

Don't bother with QLED. It's just Samsung marketing jargon to confuse people into thinking it's similar to OLED. It's not. It's just an LED with a lot of dimming zones. But so is the TCL, and the TCL is a fraction of the cost. OLED has individually lit pixels. It's a completely different technology. At this point, I really wouldn't spend a lot on a TV unless it's OLED based.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
#61 Posted by stereointegrity (12100 posts) -

For $1000 and under I'd go with the Sony x900e. Such a solid 4k set. No need to spend money on oled yet. Wait till they come down in price over the next three years then get one.

#62 Posted by N64DD (11192 posts) -

@bigfootpart2: I think I am going LG.

#63 Edited by Epak_ (10468 posts) -
@jtothamtothap said:

@Epak_: I never thought I would buy a TCL....but after I did some reading and checked out rtings breakdown, I bought the 65"....on sale for 969 at Best Buy

Enjoy the size. After my 42" Philips a 65" felt so damn massive :D

@stereointegrity said:

For $1000 and under I'd go with the Sony x900e. Such a solid 4k set. No need to spend money on oled yet. Wait till they come down in price over the next three years then get one.

Micro LED TVs (like somebody already said) are probably out before that, it's like OLED, but without the risk of burn in.

#65 Posted by stereointegrity (12100 posts) -

@Epak_: the only one working on micro dot is Apple and Samsung. With only one company that releases televisions out of the two, the price won't be worth it again like led is right now

#66 Posted by Epak_ (10468 posts) -

@stereointegrity said:

@Epak_: the only one working on micro dot is Apple and Samsung. With only one company that releases televisions out of the two, the price won't be worth it again like led is right now

I'd rather get a MLED if I didn't have to worry about burn in. Besides, LG already has sets in my price range at least (LG B7 and C7), but I'm really iffy about the burn in, image retention (albeit in most cases it can be cleaned up by the TV's software) and gray uniformity issues. I mean my current set (65" Samsung KS7005 EU model) has some DSE on the sides which only shows up in light coloured content, but at least it doesn't seem to be gettin' worse (I hope lol), still kinda pisses me off. Seeing the start of a burn in would make me paranoid as **** and one unhappy customer. That or stripes in near black.

That Sony seems like a good set, has it's flaws though. I really like the one-connect-box Samsung has, it's so convenient especially for bigger sets, all the inputs are right there on a separate box, no need to tinker behind the set etc.

#67 Posted by stereointegrity (12100 posts) -

@Epak_: image retention is the freaking worst. Had an old Panasonic plasma and a kuro elite for a little while... I remeber assassins creed mini map getting burned into the corner for hours at a time. I wish Samsung would make oleds tho because their technology to combat image retention is bar none. One can hope. I still wouldn't buy an oled right now for gaming

#68 Posted by Epak_ (10468 posts) -

@stereointegrity said:

@Epak_: image retention is the freaking worst. Had an old Panasonic plasma and a kuro elite for a little while... I remeber assassins creed mini map getting burned into the corner for hours at a time. I wish Samsung would make oleds tho because their technology to combat image retention is bar none. One can hope. I still wouldn't buy an oled right now for gaming

I think it's just the major con of the technology, MLED should fix that. LG has at least put some effort to it and added a protection setting for static logos and UIs, don't know how effective it is though.

#69 Posted by GioVela2010 (5566 posts) -

55” oleds are cheap now

#70 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

Really good info and I'm happy I didn't just run out and buy a 65" 4K TV late last year when I got the X1X which was my original plan.

#72 Edited by Epak_ (10468 posts) -
@schu said:

I'm a bit confused because I was just looking at these in person and I preferred the Samsung QLED over the OLED. It looked very vibrant and real.

I've heard the Q9 can look stunning.

@n64dd said:

Might wanna consider still. Go to a store that has LG LEDs and other brands with VA panels. I don't think I've seen a LG LED with a VA panel yet, there's a big difference in contrast. The viewing angles are worse and I don't know if the pixel response rate can match IPS yet, but the first thing I saw when I moved from an IPS screen to a VA screen was the far better contrast. Like, I swore I would never buy an IPS TV again.

#73 Posted by N64DD (11192 posts) -

@Epak_ said:
@schu said:

@n64dd said:

Might wanna consider still. Go to a store that has LG LEDs and other brands with VA panels. I don't think I've seen a LG LED with a VA panel yet, there's a big difference in contrast. The viewing angles are worse and I don't know if the pixel response rate can match IPS yet, but the first thing I saw when I moved from an IPS screen to a VA screen was the far better contrast. Like, I swore I would never buy an IPS TV again.

VA?

#74 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Epak_ said:
@schu said:

@n64dd said:

VA?

Virginia? lol :P

I was wondering the same thing. IPS and VA, ?

#75 Edited by Epak_ (10468 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:
@Epak_ said:
@schu said:

@n64dd said:

VA?

Virginia? lol :P

I was wondering the same thing. IPS and VA, ?

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

Panasonic has been developing a high contrast IPS panels since 2016, don't know if they're in actual use yet, but for now I think VA panels kick IPS ass when it comes to contrast ratio. You can check out the newest LG LCD reviews from that site too.

Edit: My wording was a bit messy on that earlier post. Should have said LG IPS LEDs.

#76 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@Epak_:

Nice, thanks for the info. :) I think VA is more for me since I sit directly in front of my TV so better viewing angle isn't as important.

#77 Posted by Epak_ (10468 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

@Epak_:

Nice, thanks for the info. :) I think VA is more for me since I sit directly in front of my TV so better viewing angle isn't as important.

If you buy OLED you don't have to care about that though. Should have said that also.

#78 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@Epak_ said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Epak_:

If you buy OLED you don't have to care about that though. Should have said that also.

Gotcha and ya know I did read that in the link you provided and I will likely go the OLED route but nevertheless, it was good info to know.

#79 Edited by bigfootpart2 (1136 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@Epak_ said:
@schu said:

@n64dd said:

VA?

VA and IPS are panel types

VA = vertical alignment (used heavily in Samsung TVs)

IPS = In plane switching (used heavily in LG TVs)

Generally speaking IPS has more vibrant color and wider viewing angles. VA has deeper blacks and higher contrast.

IPS has the problem of sometimes looking glowy in dark scenes. VA panels sometimes have muted colors compared to IPS.

To be honest though, the differences aren't as huge as they once were. Both can look really good.

#80 Edited by N64DD (11192 posts) -

@Epak_ said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Epak_:

I'm going OLED.

#81 Posted by Gdourado07 (150 posts) -

Hello, how are you?

I am trying to choose a new TV and am torn between oled with the LG c7 or led with the Sony x900f.

I know oled has better blacks, contrast, pixel response time.

But all oled panels have some sort of vertical banding problem that worries me.

Led has more brightness and the Sony is said to upscale 1080p content better and have better motion handling.

So I just don't know what to choose.

The usage will be mostly gaming and just 20% time to watch some TV shows.

Cheers

#82 Edited by Epak_ (10468 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Epak_ said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Epak_:

I'm going OLED.

Enjoy!

#83 Posted by sukraj (27808 posts) -

@Epak_ said:
@jtothamtothap said:

@stereointegrity said:

Micro LED TVs (like somebody already said) are probably out before that, it's like OLED, but without the risk of burn in.

micro LED TV's wont be here for another 5 years

#84 Edited by N64DD (11192 posts) -

@sukraj said:
@Epak_ said:
@jtothamtothap said:

@stereointegrity said:

Correct and price will be crazy at first as well.

Which LG OLED do you own?

#85 Posted by Epak_ (10468 posts) -

@sukraj: Samsung is said to bring out The Wall this year, which uses MLEDs, the tech IS not that far off.

#86 Posted by sukraj (27808 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@sukraj said:
@Epak_ said:
@jtothamtothap said:

@stereointegrity said:

Correct and price will be crazy at first as well.

Which LG OLED do you own?

LG E8 Series I love it and its the one with the glass panel

#87 Posted by N64DD (11192 posts) -

My LG 65 in OLED is on it's way :O

#88 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@n64dd said:

Awesome man, you pulled the trigger. Enjoy and let us know what you think after using it for gaming for a while.

#89 Posted by N64DD (11192 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:

Awesome man, you pulled the trigger. Enjoy and let us know what you think after using it for gaming for a while.

Oh for sure. You going to take the plunge?

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
#90 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (1578 posts) -

The 55" 900f is $250 off at Amazon. Great TV, last year version was one of the best value sets.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#91 Edited by Blackhairedhero (2353 posts) -

I just bought a 65 inch Sony A8f and i love it. It makes games look beautiful.

#92 Posted by N64DD (11192 posts) -
@blackhairedhero said:

I just bought a 65 inch Sony A8f and i love it. It makes games look beautiful.

Easy to setup?

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#93 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2353 posts) -

@n64dd: If you are mounting it you will need help but the rest was easy.

#94 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:

I probably won't pull the trigger until late this year when I see the latest models.

#95 Posted by N64DD (11192 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:

I probably won't pull the trigger until late this year when I see the latest models.

You should wait for another 2 years to see what comes out after this years new stuff. :O

#96 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:

You should wait for another 2 years to see what comes out after this years new stuff. :O

Hahaha, I know, I know, it's a conundrum. I'll bite the bullet this coming holiday season and get the best I can biggest bang for the buck kinda thing. I really can't wait any longer since I want to get the most out of X1X I can before a new Xbox hits the street. :P

#97 Posted by N64DD (11192 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:

Hahaha, I know, I know, it's a conundrum. I'll bite the bullet this coming holiday season and get the best I can biggest bang for the buck kinda thing. I really can't wait any longer since I want to get the most out of X1X I can before a new Xbox hits the street. :P

What is your budget?

#98 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:

What is your budget?

Not to brag but I can spend a bundle if I wanted to but I'm a purchasing manager in real life and I always try to get the most bang for the buck. I'd say my target is around 2 - 2.5 K but I could go higher if I see the value of doing so.

#99 Edited by N64DD (11192 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:
@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:

What is your budget?

Not to brag but I can spend a bundle if I wanted to but I'm a purchasing manager in real life and I always try to get the most bang for the buck. I'd say my target is around 2 - 2.5 K but I could go higher if I see the value of doing so.

Gotcha. Not offended by your budget :O

#100 Posted by speedytimsi (714 posts) -

I have an OLED and the only problem i have is the small input lag when it comes to gaming. I am pretty sure the newer models have improved significantly so it really depends. Plus with the next generation of consoles/PC i would wait and see what they are gonna pump out.