Should Bioware Sell Mass Effect?

#1 Posted by TheEroica (17871 posts) -

Happy N7 day tomorrow!

Thought I'd do a Mass Effect thread and ask a painful question... Shouldn't Bioware Sell Mass Effect to a more competent developer at this point?

Not gonna take anything away from the Bioware that built the trilogy. I loved all three chapters including 3, but facts are facts.... Bioware used an unproven, newish developer team to build what was their flagship game... Bioware is lost and incapable of delivering another mass effect game with the same thoughtful care that the trilogy received.

I truly believe this. I don't believe Bioware can make a game like mass effect 1 any longer, where characters matter, and squad cooperation leads to greater relationships with characters... Where story and choice have some weight, and so I ask...

If Bioware put mass effect up for sale, would you be happy? And who would you want to see end up with the franchise!?

#2 Posted by madrocketeer (5892 posts) -

Can't think of one dev who would do it justice. CDPR? Probably take a decade to release and end up with mediocre combat. Obsidian? Too small these days, and will probably release with a bazillion bugs. Still, they're the best names I can come up with.

I say BioWare can keep it, though EA would probably pressure them to turn the next ME game into another Destiny-style deal. Anthem already looks like a game conceived straight from the EA boardroom.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#3 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) -

The IP is permanently damaged now. If a company wants to make a sci-fi RPG they would be better off making a new IP.

#4 Posted by DaVillain- (33026 posts) -

When Casey Hudson return to Bioware, he said he like to continue making more Mass Effect games but Bioware isn't the problem, it's EA that's telling them what to do. I mean, Bioware knows ME universe more then anyone, I can't think of another developer who can do justice on the series.

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (26443 posts) -

I say they should keep it. I think that they still have the talent there but this just need to be given the time and resources to do it.

#6 Posted by DocSanchez (4920 posts) -

After Andromeda? Let it die. They ruined it. Let another studio make a spaced based RPG and pick up the baton that way.

#7 Posted by watercrack445 (854 posts) -

Yes. Similar to what Obsidian did with fallout new Vegas. They didn't own the ip but made a game anyways.

#8 Posted by AdobeArtist (25026 posts) -

It's not up to Bioware. That's up to EA, and never gonna happen.

#9 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42400 posts) -

Bioware as a whole is still plenty competent, the problem is they passed a major title off to a branch of Bioware that, AFAIK, only did some DLC prior to ME: Andromeda.

With that said, I'd rather see KOTOR 3 than another ME

#10 Posted by lamprey263 (35737 posts) -

Bioware is perfectly competent as long as their A-team makes it, right now they're making Anthem, it was their B-team that made the ME3 MP that flubbed Andromeda, considering that I am a bit surprised it ended up better than one might expect knowing that but still far short of what an ME game should be.

#11 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17948 posts) -

@davillain- said:

When Casey Hudson return to Bioware, he said he like to continue making more Mass Effect games but Bioware isn't the problem, it's EA that's telling them what to do. I mean, Bioware knows ME universe more then anyone, I can't think of another developer who can do justice on the series.

Yeah, this. With Casey Hudson in charge, Bioware can make another great ME game... but EA has to let them do it. And not sure that'll ever happen, which makes me incredibly sad.

#12 Edited by jahnee (3863 posts) -

Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka are long time gone plus a ton of their original workforce besides these two are long time gone as well. If you know anything about game development you'd know that a franchise never stays the same over the course of a long time. The dynamic those developers had back in the ME trilogy days can't just be replicated by other developers, especially since their publisher changed and decides a lot of marketing strategies/deadlines/directions. EA sticks their nose in every developer's business and implements their shady business models into each franchise they own until they crash to the ground.

Another developer taking over the franchise? I don't want another Mass Effect. Remaster the trilogy with some better textures/lighting/effects/resolution/refinements, onto one disc with all the dlc included (some dlc is incredibly hard to come by these days) and then let the franchise rest in peace.

#13 Posted by KillzoneSnake (2411 posts) -

Bioware does not own it, EA does. The worst company in the gaming world. They are the reason Andromeda sucked and the reason we will never get the original trilogy remaster. Most of the original Bioware team from ME1 is long gone, replaced by EA trash. RIP.

#14 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

MS should have out right bought the IP when it was 360 only. Phil, get on this Mmmmk. :P

#15 Posted by nintendoboy16 (35467 posts) -

That's like asking should Nintendo sell the IP's they no longer use (Eternal Darkness, StarTropics, F-Zero). Answer: No!

#16 Posted by ZmanBarzel (1514 posts) -

Why should they sell it? Selling it would provide competition for EA’s own games. It makes much more sense financially to just let it moulder in a drawer somewhere, alongside Road Rash, Hard Hat Mack and Populous.

#17 Posted by dzimm (5070 posts) -

Bioware was the proverbial "dead man walking" the day they sold out to EA. Dragon Age: Origins was their last good game (and it really is a very good game); it's been downhill since.

#18 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1976 posts) -

Nope but outsourcing one game a la Fallout: New Vegas might give them the time to hit a hard reset and come back strong next gen

#19 Posted by sonny2dap (1476 posts) -

Ideally MS confirms purchase of Obsidian, EA sells the Mass Effect IP to MS and MS puts obsidian to work on Mass Effect.

#20 Posted by BlackBalls (880 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Bioware as a whole is still plenty competent, the problem is they passed a major title off to a branch of Bioware that, AFAIK, only did some DLC prior to ME: Andromeda.

With that said, I'd rather see KOTOR 3 than another ME

My god, first logical post.

#21 Posted by GarGx1 (10562 posts) -
@KillzoneSnake said:

Bioware does not own it, EA does. The worst company in the gaming world. They are the reason Andromeda sucked and the reason we will never get the original trilogy remaster. Most of the original Bioware team from ME1 is long gone, replaced by EA trash. RIP.

EA didn't hire the incompetent fools who got their jobs through political beliefs over talent. They did fire most of them when the game flopped because of their incompetence, fan hatred and racism though.

#22 Posted by osan0 (15219 posts) -

as mentioned its up to EA and its very unlikely to happen. what will probably happen is that the next ME will be another MP focused gaming as a service thing: maybe even a flat out MMO.

should they? no. developers occasionally make bad games. the team that made ME:A were a new team that were, by any account i have seen, badly managed and the project was stuck in development hell. the frostbite enigine, for all its mighty awesomeness, also sounded liek it wasnt really tooled up for such a game but, again, that should be better now. they have a foundation to build on.

hopefully lessons learned. moving a new team onto a platform that hasnt been designed to run such games and keeping a tight schedule and unrealistic deadlines leads to problems. I would certainly like to see a new ME (a new SP ME game EA...stop the messin) and i would like to see bioware go at it again.

if not bioware though then im not sure. CDPR and obsidian are obvious choices and would make an amazing game no doubt.

or maybe monolith soft as a switch exclusive as an outside choice. mass effect JRPG with Mecha!! no?

#23 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9715 posts) -

Yes, they should. I will never understand why publishers choose to sit on valuable IPs, just letting them die, when they could sell them for and at least get some value out of them. I could see why somebody responsible for creating something would want to maintain control, but when they've already sold out to EA, it just doesn't make sense.

#24 Posted by musicalmac (24981 posts) -

I think it's the last question that's most interesting. Who would you like to see in control of that IP.

I don't have a good answer, myself.

#25 Edited by MisterVulpes (666 posts) -

They should just let it die now.

The ME Trilogy was superb, told a story, and that story is now done.

I’ll reserve judgement for when we see Dragon Age 4. If they kill that franchise, like they did to ME with Andromeda, I don’t want any more RPGs from them. BioWare is pretty much dead at this point. It’s having it’s last coughs and splutters.

#26 Posted by johnd13 (9505 posts) -

I say keep it. Still have my hopes deep down that EA is going to let Bioware make a proper Mass Effect game. That means no shoehorning MP crap, boring open world to justify its price and passing the game to a B-studio.

#27 Posted by djoffer (893 posts) -

Mehh have zero faith in bioware anymore to be honest, they haven’t made a great game since DA1 and a good game since DA2... however think other devs would be better off to create a new space IP, the mass effect name is tainted at this point and if they don’t even have the bioware name to drive it home I doubt people would go for it!

#28 Posted by TheEroica (17871 posts) -

@musicalmac: rockstar mass effect? Cdpr? C'mon Mac... Who you pickin?

#29 Posted by navyguy21 (15123 posts) -

I enjoyed Andromeda.

It was a good game, just didnt feel like Mass Effect.

#30 Edited by BassMan (9442 posts) -

I love the trilogy and Andromeda is also a good game if you played it on PC after the patches. The writing and some of the mission design is not as strong as the original trilogy, but it is a solid game. So, when Bioware/EA continue with ME once again, they just need to better manage the development to ensure the standards and quality are there. Also, they should not release the game until it is ready.

#31 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42400 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

I think it's the last question that's most interesting. Who would you like to see in control of that IP.

I don't have a good answer, myself.

Obsidian, is my answer.

Hell, they can turn it into an isometric classic RPG game for all I care. I just love the lore and environments of ME.

#32 Posted by musicalmac (24981 posts) -

@TheEroica: I mean, it’s so hard... Obsidian is a pretty compelling answer honestly. But I wouldn’t mind Epic getting their hands on it, either (that one may get me some hate mail).

Not Bethesda. Their characters are a little too anemic. I still played the crap out of Morrowind and Skyrim.

It’s a great question overall.

#33 Edited by rzxv04 (284 posts) -

It should be with ND, SM. More cinematic, less control over party, just as sjw, less game but might gain better traction due to PS fad.

On a more serious note, maybe if one of their newer projects flop, they'd get back into ME.

I think the last one for this gen would be dragon age. Oh wait is that a different team?

#34 Posted by VagrantSnow (99 posts) -

EA don't sell franchises. They bury them so no one else can find success with them. Would be nice if they sold franchises to studios that want to makes games of them but it's not going to happen.