Red Dead Redemption 2 has only shipped 17 million copies in 10 days

• 70 results
#51 Posted by mobius_basic (539 posts) -

I'm still trying to figure out why folks here seem to think the numbers are bad. Maybe I am being dense right now and not grasping it. In several articles I have read...they state quite the opposite and most are impressed. I look at the last blockbuster game that sold like hotcakes for comparison. Not only did it sell well it also broke some records upon it's release; Spider-man. It seems pretty much on par with RDR2 upon its initial release.

Taken from a line in the article posted about the release weekend in regards to RDR2: "the company announced sell-through of $725 million during the game’s first three days of release."

From an article on Spider-Man's launch weekend (and can be found in numerous other articles includ Gamespot): USA Today says that this “opening weekend” would equate to around $198 million in sales, far higher than the $117 million box office opening of Spider-Man: Homecoming. This kind of thing has always been a bit apples and oranges, and I’m not sure whether it’s more or less impressive that games hit these marks with $60 sales instead of $15 movie tickets. Less sales overall, but at a higher price point.

*shrugs shoulders

#52 Posted by Zaryia (6322 posts) -
@jasonofa36 said:

People waiting for the PC version as they got burned by GTA 5 :P

I'm fine with this as long as it ends up the by far best version again. More than enough games to play in the meanwhile with PC in a huge lead this gen.

#53 Posted by Zero_epyon (12792 posts) -

I'm waiting for the online to release...

#54 Posted by JasonOfA36 (952 posts) -

@mobius_basic: I think it's just people comparing it to the GTA 5 launch, which is a bit absurd. 17 million shipped is still not a bad number. But T2 may seem think it is though, as they're greedy mofos.

#55 Edited by Migina (17 posts) -

@jasonofa36 said:

@mobius_basic: I think it's just people comparing it to the GTA 5 launch, which is a bit absurd. 17 million shipped is still not a bad number. But T2 may seem think it is though, as they're greedy mofos.

I honestly, don't understand why people keep comparing it with GTA 5. First off, Rockstar said they don't expect the game to sell anything close to GTA. Second, sales number of $750 million in its first week is still the second highest of all time. Also, the original Red Dead sold 17 million in lifetime sales, GTA5 - 100 million. I mean, nothing can come close to GTA 5.

If anything, it's amazing that Rockstar can consistently launch products that get massive critical acclaim and sales that other companies wish they had.

#56 Posted by JasonOfA36 (952 posts) -

@migina: Yup, and GTA had so many games under its name while Red Dead is like 3, counting the Red Dead Revolver one.

#57 Posted by Migina (17 posts) -

@jasonofa36 said:

@migina: Yup, and GTA had so many games under its name while Red Dead is like 3, counting the Red Dead Revolver one.

Exactly, and even if they had the same amount of games as GTA, it simply isn't as universally appealing. Still, it appears the game might push 30-40 million in lifetime sales which would put it among the top 10 of all time. That's still increadible.

#58 Posted by Shewgenja (20701 posts) -

RIP in Peace, R* . We will miss you.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#59 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2053 posts) -

It deserves it it's one of the best games of the gen.

#60 Posted by Migina (17 posts) -

@mobius_basic said:

I'm still trying to figure out why folks here seem to think the numbers are bad. Maybe I am being dense right now and not grasping it. In several articles I have read...they state quite the opposite and most are impressed. I look at the last blockbuster game that sold like hotcakes for comparison. Not only did it sell well it also broke some records upon it's release; Spider-man. It seems pretty much on par with RDR2 upon its initial release.

Taken from a line in the article posted about the release weekend in regards to RDR2: "the company announced sell-through of $725 million during the game’s first three days of release."

From an article on Spider-Man's launch weekend (and can be found in numerous other articles includ Gamespot): USA Today says that this “opening weekend” would equate to around $198 million in sales, far higher than the $117 million box office opening of Spider-Man: Homecoming. This kind of thing has always been a bit apples and oranges, and I’m not sure whether it’s more or less impressive that games hit these marks with $60 sales instead of $15 movie tickets. Less sales overall, but at a higher price point.

*shrugs shoulders

It's literally the second highest performing game of all time in its first week, and already outsold the original game. I think people just like to hate something that is cool, though judging by the tone of this thread I think people are just being sarcastic.

#61 Edited by mobius_basic (539 posts) -

@Migina

Well I hope that's the case! I know this is system wars but at times it just feels like folks beg and hope for failure from these studios/devs and are nay sayers no matter what the accomplishment.

I may have mistaken the sarcasm for straight up "hating just to hate".

#62 Posted by MirkoS77 (13424 posts) -

Put out a quality product, get quality sales.

And here I thought I heard single player gaming was dead.

#63 Posted by ButDuuude (1240 posts) -

Rockstar is doomed.

#64 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1442 posts) -

Good for them, still not picking it up... looks boring as sin.

#65 Edited by Solaryellow (4438 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

shit. that's a lot.

sales are going to slow done huge though after most of those people got burned. i see it selling maybe 20-25million lifetime. that isn't bad.

Meaning?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#66 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12506 posts) -
@Solaryellow said:
@KBFloYd said:

shit. that's a lot.

sales are going to slow done huge though after most of those people got burned. i see it selling maybe 20-25million lifetime. that isn't bad.

Meaning?

He doesn't have a console that can play it.

#67 Posted by KBFloYd (20770 posts) -

@Solaryellow said:
@KBFloYd said:

shit. that's a lot.

Meaning?

a lot of people thought it was boring. game sold on hype. Of course many people enjoy it. but a lot of the casuals got burned. expected to be blown away and were like wtf?

gonna be a lot of used copies. I dont think the online will save it. GTA is a different beast. a lot of people can relate to GTA. i dont think a western theme online can survive.

#68 Posted by KBFloYd (20770 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Solaryellow said:
@KBFloYd said:

shit. that's a lot.

Meaning?

still wouldnt buy it. well, i would if nintendo had made it.

even when it comes to PC im not buying. learned my lesson from red dead 1

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#69 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12506 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Solaryellow said:
@KBFloYd said:

shit. that's a lot.

Meaning?

still wouldnt buy it. well, i would if nintendo had made it.

even when it comes to PC im not buying. learned my lesson from red dead 1

#70 Posted by DrLostRib (4294 posts) -

never heard of it, must be trash