PS4 hits 91.6 million units sold, Spiderman sells 9 million

• 91 results
#51 Edited by PAL360 (29365 posts) -

That's insane....and deserved. PS4 is one of the best gaming platforms i ever owned, and easily my favourite Playstation.

#52 Posted by PAL360 (29365 posts) -

@blackballs said:

So, 110, maybe? Nice, third best selling console when all is set and done. Sonydomination.

At this rate 110 million by the end of 2019, but why would it stop selling by then? I can see PS4 ending up with something like 135 million or more.

#53 Posted by robert_sparkes (1997 posts) -

Just shows what a juggernaut sony has been this generation. Once they hit stride they never get beat.

#54 Posted by kuu2 (10968 posts) -

@Pedro said:

LOL at folks who think Sony will release the PS5 this year with numbers like this.😂🤣

#55 Posted by jcrame10 (4571 posts) -

PS4 exclusives Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted 4 and Spider Man have all sold 7-9 million copies. That’s pretty impressive.

Pretty sure the only other exclusives do to that would be the Mario games, specifically 2D Mario on Wii U and Mario Kart 8 on Wii U/Switch

#56 Edited by tormentos (28175 posts) -

@kuu2 said:
@Pedro said:

LOL at folks who think Sony will release the PS5 this year with numbers like this.😂🤣

The PS2 came when the PS1 was still on fire,the PS3 came when the PS2 was still on fire,in fact the PS2 outsold the xbox 360 world wide for the first 2 years,outsold the PS3 as well.

#57 Edited by Valgaav_219 (2037 posts) -

They killed 2018. Well deserved, Sony

#58 Posted by AtariKidX (7051 posts) -

Congrats to SONY. PS4 is simply the best console with the best games.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
#59 Posted by EyeBoonsEyebrow (270 posts) -

Not shocking.

Big dick Sony has been the king of video games since they entered the market with a minor slip up last gen.

3 of their 4 home consoles will have reached over 100 million sales. Nintendo has only managed that feat once with the Wii and the Xbox has 0 times.

I would say 115-120 million is a real possibility, maybe even higher by time it's life is officially over.

#60 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3643 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@kuu2 said:
@Pedro said:

The PS2 came when the PS1 was still on fire,the PS3 came when the PS2 was still on fire,in fact the PS2 outsold the xbox 360 world wide for the first 2 years,outsold the PS3 as well.

I think 2020 will be the year but I don't mind to be 2021 or later, I want to put all my money these 2 years in my mortgage to pay off my place so later the better lol

#61 Posted by Heil68 (58177 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Spider-Man 2 on LOCK!

and LOADED...

#winning

#legendary

#62 Posted by Techhog89 (3324 posts) -
@PAL360 said:
@blackballs said:

So, 110, maybe? Nice, third best selling console when all is set and done. Sonydomination.

At this rate 110 million by the end of 2019, but why would it stop selling by then? I can see PS4 ending up with something like 135 million or more.

110 million isn't happening this year. It only sold 18 million last year, and it's sure to be down from that this year. Probably more like 105-109 million.

#63 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20324 posts) -

Amazing numbers for the best console of the gen.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#64 Edited by Blackhairedhero (2538 posts) -

I think it will sell about 15 million this year and push it over the 100 mill mark.

#65 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1681 posts) -

Very impressive numbers. I'd rather see other Marvel Super Heroes than Spiderman 2 however... if they want this Marvel Gaming Universe to be a thing.

Good for Playstation, ultimately means very little to gamers though, all that success, can count the good exclusives on 2 hands... its the 3rd best for graphics/performance , and the Switch will be a far better secondary to a PC.

Xbox360 of this gen only with no competition.

#66 Edited by KBFloYd (21225 posts) -

at 200$ per console i think they made decent money. giving away their hardware. thats how they sell so many consoles each gen. they send them to 3rd world countries of people with low income and price it affordably.

In the end they end up making more money because they sell enough consoles to make up for their low prices.

nintendo and sony dont really ship their consoles WW like sony does and dont discount them in the same way. Nintendo would rather like to hold its value instead of becoming a cheap item that everyone has.

oh.. and spiderman did 9 million? that's pretty good. not even as good as mario kart 8? a port from the wiiU? i guess cows got to celebrate something. but lets be real ps4 is a call of duty/madden/fifa/nba machine.

#67 Posted by Subspecies (80 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:

Very impressive numbers. I'd rather see other Marvel Super Heroes than Spiderman 2 however... if they want this Marvel Gaming Universe to be a thing.

Good for Playstation, ultimately means very little to gamers though, all that success, can count the good exclusives on 2 hands... its the 3rd best for graphics/performance , and the Switch will be a far better secondary to a PC.

When I was done reading your comment, I actually found salt had pushed through my computer screen, and I had to wipe it off. True story.

#68 Posted by I_P_Daily (9834 posts) -

@tormentos: You mean that free games are more played than payed ones, holy shit we've got a genius on our hands here folks lol.

#69 Posted by Phazevariance (12331 posts) -

I hope that they hold off on rushing the PS5 and make it a killer console with at least 2nd gen RTX tech. Anything less than native 4k would be a no go for me.

#70 Edited by Kali-B1rd (1681 posts) -
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:

When I was done reading your comment, I actually found salt had pushed through my computer screen, and I had to wipe it off. True story.

Figured some mindless drone would play the salt card.

Salty about what? Less sales than PC, less Exclusives than Switch, less performance than PC and Xbox. I even own a PS4 Pro

Only Salt here is you ;)

#71 Posted by Fedor (3700 posts) -

Spidey selling better than I would have thought.

#72 Posted by Subspecies (80 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Salty about what? Less sales than PC, less Exclusives than Switch, less performance than PC and Xbox. I even own a PS4 Pro

Only Salt here is you ;)

At this rate I won't have to buy salt at the grocery store anymore. I thank you, good sir, for helping me save on my grocery shopping.

#73 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1681 posts) -
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Only Salt here is you ;)

At this rate I won't have to buy salt at the grocery store anymore. I thank you, good sir, for helping me save on my grocery shopping.

Are you another alt of the same person on the spectrum I won't name?

Yet another mindless alt ;) salty enough to keep making accounts

#74 Posted by samfisher56 (766 posts) -

wow sony is goat

#75 Edited by Subspecies (80 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:

Only Salt here is you ;)

Thanks dude that's really generous of you. I'll be sure to hit you up next time I oven bake some fries, or perhaps boil an egg.

And nah I'm not an alt. I ran the reduc_ab account and shut it down recently because I got tired of trolling with a fake persona. Now it's just sweet ol' me.

#76 Posted by phbz (3943 posts) -

Gonna join Justin Bieber, McDonald's and Call of Duty in the hall of greats.

#77 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1681 posts) -
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:

Only Salt here is you ;)

Thanks dude that's really generous of you. I'll be sure to hit you up next time I oven bake some fries, or perhaps boil an egg.

And nah I'm not an alt. I ran the reduc_ab account and shut it down recently because I got tired of trolling with a fake persona. Now it's just sweet ol' me.

You could just... post on it as normal.

Assuming that info is correct. (and unless it held Personally Identifiable Information).

But yea, if salt is all you got you've lost. keep replying with salt though, makes you look like a proper winner!

#78 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8249 posts) -

In comparison, Xbone has been struggling through between 30M - 50M for a long time. It's crazy how neck and neck PS and Xbox were last gen.

#79 Edited by Subspecies (80 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:

Assuming that info is correct. (and unless it held Personally Identifiable Information).

But yea, if salt is all you got you've lost. keep replying with salt though, makes you look like a proper winner!

Lol I couldn't even look at the name anymore. I was seriously even creeping myself out. But the real reason is my wife wanted me to shut it down. She was creeped out more-------->and trust me, you don't want to creep your wife out. Or maybe I'm just whipped. Could be.

And, well, salt ain't all I've got, but I sure have a whole lot of it owing to these last few interactions with you. I can only assume you work in salt mines.

#80 Posted by Mandzilla (2660 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:

PS4 exclusives Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted 4 and Spider Man have all sold 7-9 million copies. That’s pretty impressive.

Pretty sure the only other exclusives do to that would be the Mario games, specifically 2D Mario on Wii U and Mario Kart 8 on Wii U/Switch

Plus Splatoon 2, BotW and Odyssey. It is impressive though you're right, good to see exclusives doing so well this gen.

#81 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1045 posts) -

Good. I hope this money makes a 60fps machine next gen.

#82 Posted by tormentos (28175 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

at 200$ per console i think they made decent money. giving away their hardware. thats how they sell so many consoles each gen. they send them to 3rd world countries of people with low income and price it affordably.

In the end they end up making more money because they sell enough consoles to make up for their low prices.

nintendo and sony dont really ship their consoles WW like sony does and dont discount them in the same way. Nintendo would rather like to hold its value instead of becoming a cheap item that everyone has.

oh.. and spiderman did 9 million? that's pretty good. not even as good as mario kart 8? a port from the wiiU? i guess cows got to celebrate something. but lets be real ps4 is a call of duty/madden/fifa/nba machine.

Now this is one of the most bullshit ass post i read for sometime coming out of you,you really must be 15 or 16 years old no question.

The switch is sold world wide,the xbox is sold world wide what the fu** are you smoking,since when Europe is a 3rd world country,Japan? US? Those are by far the 3 biggest markets sony has,the rest is spill milk for them.

But i am amaze at how the xbox was also $199 and somehow you single out the PS4 as been given away,the claim nintendo like to keep the value of its console high..hahahahahaa

Nintendo doesn't have the financial power sony and MS have which can take a hit on hardware and make it on software,but just so you know in this point in time the PS4 is not been sold at a loss,in fact basically on launch they were already making a profit,hell MS was losing more from selling the xbox one $500 kinect version for $449 with titanfall (3rd party game) included just 3 months after launch didn't see you cry about it.

@i_p_daily said:

@tormentos: You mean that free games are more played than payed ones, holy shit we've got a genius on our hands here folks lol.

Yes because all the games on top of Halo are free right? Hahahahaa

How come is not more played than COD since been free assure that it would be more played than a pay game.

#83 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1681 posts) -
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:

Lol I couldn't even look at the name anymore. I was seriously even creeping myself out. But the real reason is my wife wanted me to shut it down. She was creeped out more-------->and trust me, you don't want to creep your wife out. Or maybe I'm just whipped. Could be.

And, well, salt ain't all I've got, but I sure have a whole lot of it owing to these last few interactions with you. I can only assume you work in salt mines.

Right-o Salt!

#84 Posted by Subspecies (80 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Right-o Salt!

Wait, so you do work in salt mines? That's cool, dude. I was throwing out a guess. What kind of benefits do you get? Medical? Retirement? I imagine you're in a salt union of sorts, right? Interesting line of work.

#85 Posted by Jag85 (12564 posts) -

Spidey once again proves he is the king of superheroes.

#86 Edited by I_P_Daily (9834 posts) -

@tormentos: Breaking news a game released less than 3 months ago is more played than a 2015 released game, more news at 11.

Also tormy where the **** are you in this thread boy lol

#87 Posted by DaVillain- (33689 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Only Salt here is you ;)

To be fair, it's always nice to have a current-gen up-to-date console and not just PC/Nintendo console (Switch) at your dispose. Most fewer games don't come to both PC & Nintendo consoles like Kingdom Hearts & the recent RDR2 (I know it's coming to PC at a later date) are not on PC & Switch. In short, PC/Switch isn't clearly the best combo and I hate missing games I wanna play that badly. Best to have a current-gen when you really need it.

I'm gonna agree with Subspecies AKA Reduc that you went salty town.

#88 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1681 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@subspecies said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Only Salt here is you ;)

To be fair, it's always nice to have a current-gen up-to-date console and not just PC/Nintendo console (Switch) at your dispose. Most fewer games don't come to both PC & Nintendo consoles like Kingdom Hearts & the recent RDR2 (I know it's coming to PC at a later date) are not on PC & Switch. In short, PC/Switch isn't clearly the best combo and I hate missing games I wanna play that badly. Best to have a current-gen when you really need it.

I'm gonna agree with Subspecies AKA Reduc that you went salty town.

Both of those games will be on PC, I'm 100% convinced.

Not sure what Salt there was to have? already knew PS4 was doing the best ;P

#89 Posted by The-A-Baum (1225 posts) -

That $199 Spidey Deal was pretty cool and looks like it sold like crazy and doubt they are not including the game bundled in the sales numbers.

However can I just point out this thread is boasting over 91 million consoles sold and 9 million Spiderman games sold. That attach rate is pretty weak sauce for such a big title. Another 1 and done and sell it used.

Happy for Insomniac and Sony as unlike you Toxic Sony Fans i don't want them to fail, and realize when gaming is healthy we all win!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#90 Posted by SolidGame_basic (23542 posts) -

@the-a-baum: 9 million in 3 months is weak sauce? During the holiday season, too?

#91 Posted by The-A-Baum (1225 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@the-a-baum: 9 million in 3 months is weak sauce? During the holiday season, too?

Yes especially because it was during the holidays! This is not some random Sony IP, This is Marvel! This is Spiderman! The way you cows spout off you would think every PlayStation Owner has this game. Less than 1 in 10? Yes weak sauce!

Also if they are including the bundle sales a good chunk probably will never play it. There is a good reason GameStop loves PS4. you guys sell more games and buy more used games than anyone!