PC and XB1 games now have Atmos (height speakers). PS4 does not. What gives?

#1 Posted by Ezekiel43 (925 posts) -

RE2 is the latest example. Is the PS4 just not capable? If so, what the heck was the point of the Pro? I realize most of you don't care, but not all of us play with headphones or TV speakers.

#2 Posted by cainetao11 (35971 posts) -

But ………………….Japanimeeeeeeeeeeeeee Goooooooooooooooooooooooo

#3 Posted by Fedor (3727 posts) -

Would be a larger issue if there was more than 10 or so games that used it. As it stands its probably not a concern for most gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8
#4 Posted by deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8 (75 posts) -

I don't think PlayStation gamers care about this, they just want to play the games, Sony knows this and it knows it'd be a waste of time and money.

I myself have a PC and don't care about this.

#5 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18131 posts) -

Just another area that Sony is falling behind in the services department...

#6 Edited by pyro1245 (4413 posts) -

Hmmm... From some half-assed research I've gathered:

Dolby Atmos support was introduced in HDMI 2.1 according to the Wikipedia page. (and is not possible via the optical connection?)

PS4 Base is most def HDMI 1.4, so that's off the table.

For some reason Sony doesn't include this bit of info on the tech specs page (not very techy). I have a feeling PS4 Pro is only HDMI 2.0.

So I guess the reason is: It's not possible. Yeah the 'Pro' is a silly upgrade, especially with no Bloodborne patch.

Personally, I love the idea of Atmos - object oriented sound placement. I have been wanting a proper setup for a while now.

EDIT.... Actually It looks like there are available AV recievers that support Atmos and use HDMI 2.0, so who knows.....

#7 Posted by KBFloYd (21230 posts) -

i dont want to put more speakers in my room. 5.1 is enough for me :P

#8 Edited by Ezekiel43 (925 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

Hmmm... From some half-assed research I've gathered:

Dolby Atmos support was introduced in HDMI 2.1 according to the Wikipedia page. (and is not possible via the optical connection?)

PS4 Base is most def HDMI 1.4, so that's off the table.

For some reason Sony doesn't include this bit of info on the tech specs page (not very techy). I have a feeling PS4 Pro is only HDMI 2.0.

So I guess the reason is: It's not possible. Yeah the 'Pro' is a silly upgrade, especially with no Bloodborne patch.

Personally, I love the idea of Atmos - object oriented sound placement. I have been wanting a proper setup for a while now.

EDIT.... Actually It looks like there are available AV recievers that support Atmos and use HDMI 2.0, so who knows.....

I don't know what receivers you found, but I'm guessing you're probably still correct. The PS4 can't do it. It just would make no sense otherwise that Battlefield, Resident Evil 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed and the other games have Atmos missing on the one console. Lame.

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (38482 posts) -

Where is Giovela?

#10 Edited by ellos (1815 posts) -

Sony basically cheap out on Pro and Slim upgrades.

#11 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8316 posts) -

Is this bait? People are claiming this as some sort of ownage already. My god lmao

#12 Posted by KBFloYd (21230 posts) -

the pauperstation "pro"

#13 Posted by Archangel3371 (26705 posts) -

Yeah unfortunately Sony kind of half assed the Pro.

#14 Posted by DaVillain- (33720 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Is this bait? People are claiming this as some sort of ownage already. My god lmao

Bait? Ummm no, this is discussing why doesn't PS4 have Atmos. Not like this is a big deal but you do have gamers out their that really want this feature but the lack of it on PS4 does seems odd. Not a big deal but still.

#15 Posted by ProtossRushX (4818 posts) -

well the ps4 is better so I mean maybe thats why?

#16 Posted by Pedro (32706 posts) -

I have not experienced this fable Dolby Atmos but I believe I will survive.

#17 Edited by X_Karen_x (148 posts) -

@Pedro:

It help very much on the theater environment. Sound is all around you. In the theater I go to it charge more, say $5 more, but presentation much better.

For Home it can be too random I think. Placement very important and also to watch for sound reflection. Unless you have a room for tv like theater then stereo is fine.

#18 Posted by getyeryayasout (11989 posts) -

Sony is probably more interested in pushing their own audio format, but I do use Atmos with my Xbox One, both with headphones and my theater set up. It can be pretty great, but I'd like to see a broader adoption rate by the gaming industry.

#19 Posted by SaltSlasher (623 posts) -

Even though an awesome feature, and 1 of countless offerings, it is one I'm not currently using much cause I don't have surround speakers and waiting for a surround bar with atmos to lower in price. The one I want is $500.

I did pay for the app on my PC thought, although I don't think it actually works with 7.1 headphones unless atmos certified, I forgot to look in it.

#20 Edited by Ezekiel43 (925 posts) -

@saltslasher said:

Even though an awesome feature, and 1 of countless offerings, it is one I'm not currently using much cause I don't have surround speakers and waiting for a surround bar with atmos to lower in price. The one I want is $500.

I did pay for the app on my PC thought, although I don't think it actually works with 7.1 headphones unless atmos certified, I forgot to look in it.

I've been wondering if soundbars actually work, if they can replicate surround sound. I just can't imagine how. They seem to be much more popular than sound systems these days. This article, the first one I found, says they can't: http://www.howtogeek.com/336009/how-do-surround-sound-bars-work/

#21 Edited by scatteh316 (10063 posts) -

It's an HDMI limitation, neither of the PS4 consoles have a sound chip as it's all done on the CPU so while PS4 is more then capable of processing and generating an Atmos signal it doesn't have the means to output it.

But meh........it's useless too, I would guess 95%+ of gamers....

#22 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (24853 posts) -
@saltslasher said:

The Atmos app definitely seems to make a difference on some headphones. I tried it on my Blue Microphone headset and absolutely loved it, so I purchased it as well.

#23 Posted by pmanden (336 posts) -

If you have a really expensive hifi hooked up like me, everything sounds brilliant, and you don't really need Dolby Atmos or other sound enhancements to get immersed. I don't notice a big difference between my xhox one x and PS4, heck, even PS1 games sounded brilliant on my hifi.

But I guess I am in the minority.

#24 Posted by dxmcat (2478 posts) -

Its just semantics.