Nintendo remove racismsims

• 82 results
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (29223 posts) -

Sadly, the offensive Italian stereotypes remain. Nice work Resetera, you guys are just the best.

Nintendo has pledged it will make changes to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate after an outcry surrounding Native American character designs in the game.

The designs centre on Mr. Game & Watch, a retro-themed character from Nintendo's old LCD game handhelds.

One of the character's moves references Fire Attack, a 1982 cowboy game where you defended a wooden fort from screaming Native Americans who wielded burning torches and wore feathers in their hair.

The same design can also be seen in a separate Spirit character within the game.

Nintendo previously edited Fire Attack when it was re-released on Game Boy as part of compilation title Game & Watch Gallery 4. Then, the feather was removed from the Native American characters' hair - something Nintendo will now also do with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

"Nintendo has been planning to distribute an update for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate that removes the feather from the silhouette of Mr. Game & Watch," a Nintendo spokesperson told Eurogamer today. "The original game on which this depiction of the character is based was released more than three decades ago and does not represent our company values today.

"We sincerely apologise that this change was not noticed in our marketing material and are continuing our work to make Super Smash Bros. Ultimate an experience that is both welcoming and fun for everyone."

The move was spotted last week as part of Nintendo's final Smash Bros. Direct broadcast, and was widely condemned on Twitter and reddit.

#2 Posted by enzyme36 (3821 posts) -

Man oh man

#4 Posted by knight-k (2171 posts) -

And further we sink into an extreme leftist dystopia.

OP, is this resetera's doing?

#5 Posted by Boycie (4610 posts) -

@knight-k said:

There's bound to be someone we can blame!

#6 Edited by Jag85 (12408 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Sadly, the offensive Italian stereotypes remain.

You mean Mario? I've honestly never heard of Italians finding him offensive. If anything, Mario is more of a positive stereotype. Whereas the Native American character is a negative stereotype. It's negative stereotypes that people usually find offensive, not positive stereotypes.

#7 Posted by Archangel3371 (26444 posts) -

Well it’s not like they didn’t remove it before as was said in the article that you quoted. Anyway I’m neither offended at it currently nor am I offended with them removing it. If there were others who are offended with it and Nintendo wants to take it out then I am perfectly fine with the decision to do so, it’ll have no impact on the game for me.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#8 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2353 posts) -

Lol typical leftwing snowflakes.

#9 Posted by AJStyles (248 posts) -

Nintendo should rename the switch because calling it switch suggests they have a choice.

This is clearly a homophobic attack on gay men and women. They don’t have a choice on who they are attracted to!!!

Damn you nintendo.

#10 Posted by DaVillain- (33036 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Looks like the NFL Redskins mascot to me.

#11 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29529 posts) -

Not even sure what to say here but ... people get offended easily ?

#12 Posted by KBFloYd (21072 posts) -

for me. I don't care if he is an indian or not. when you are in the heat of battle who looks at this shit? lol

#13 Posted by DocSanchez (4923 posts) -

Oh dear, Nintendo.

#14 Edited by BlackBalls (884 posts) -

Good, considering white racist Trump supporters believe they are actually the true Americans, I mean they basically invented black face and still justify having the confederate flag... Native American stereotypes shouldn't be shown.

#15 Posted by Jag85 (12408 posts) -

Let's not forget that Nintendo is a family-friendly company. Having offensive racial caricatures would hurt their family-friendly reputation. Even if family-friendly companies like Nintendo and Disney did have racial caricatures in their older games/cartoons (and other dodgy shit, e.g. Nintendo's Yakuza connections, Disney's Mafia & Nazi connections), that doesn't represent what these companies are today.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#16 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27401 posts) -

It's cool. It's their right to do so.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#17 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) -

Even a company like Nintendo is scared of those nut jobs over at Resetera.

#18 Posted by FinalFighters (3004 posts) -

Pre-Order Cancelled

#19 Posted by Pedro (32083 posts) -

"Developers should be allowed to do what they want to do in their game unless I disagree with what they want to do then I will complain and blame other groups for forcing the developers hand. "

#20 Posted by Xabiss (2094 posts) -

@blackballs said:

Good, considering white racist Trump supporters believe they are actually the true Americans, I mean they basically invented black face and still justify having the confederate flag... Native American stereotypes shouldn't be shown.

Perfect example above what is wrong with America today. Snowflakes! It really is a shame how the word raciest is used in today's time. People don't even use the term correctly anymore.

#21 Posted by SaltSlasher (539 posts) -

How is that racist? Didn't Indians scream, wear feathers and etc. back when there were Cowboys?

#22 Posted by uninspiredcup (29223 posts) -

@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

You mean Mario? I've honestly never heard of Italians finding him offensive. If anything, Mario is more of a positive stereotype. Whereas the Native American character is a negative stereotype. It's negative stereotypes that people usually find offensive, not positive stereotypes.

I haven't seen any complain, but it seems like it should theoretically be far more offensive than that.

Although it does look like his dick is on fire.

#23 Edited by tubbyc (3993 posts) -

Oh, now a character from one of my favourite Game & Watches from back in the day is under attack. It's the feather! Remove the feather and it'll be acceptable they say. I've still got that game. Seriously, this kind of thing is ridiculous. It reminds me of this video I saw recently about the crazy outrage culture which has developed these days.

Loading Video...

#24 Posted by Techhog89 (3096 posts) -

Seeing Trump supporters complain about "snowflakes" will never not be hilarious irony. There is no bigger snowflake alive than Agent Orange.

#25 Edited by uninspiredcup (29223 posts) -
@knight-k said:

Part of it.

As a Scottish person I've been use to seeing grounds keeper willie present Scottish people as simple, backward, angry, bitter, easily upset, xenophobic, ginger, loud, emotionally cold to family members etc..

And although this is factually correct at no point did we complain.

If only he was a person of color with a vagina. Resetera would be all over that shit. Saving us.

-

But still, it will basically have no effect on the game either way. So eh.

#26 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@blackballs said:

Nuff.

#27 Edited by Litchie (22659 posts) -

Well, that's ridiculous. Would be cool if bored people started caring about something important instead. Moving on..

#28 Edited by Zappat (1267 posts) -

Oh ffs, how many times the entertaining media worldwide will have to adapt to the particular american thin-skinned offended flavor of the month? Maybe next week they'll be offended by stereotyping dinosaurs as green and there goes Yoshi, from now on he will be orange until orange becomes offensive that is.

#29 Posted by Techhog89 (3096 posts) -
@SecretPolice said:
@blackballs said:

Nuff.

You forgot the ":P"

#30 Edited by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@techhog89:

Lolol... Dammit, I hate when I do that. :P

#31 Posted by uninspiredcup (29223 posts) -
@zappat said:

Oh ffs, how many times the entertaining media worldwide will have to adapt to the particular american thin-skinned offended flavor of the month? Maybe next week they'll be offended by stereotyping dinosaurs as green and there goes Yoshi, from now on he will be orange until orange becomes offensive that is.

To be fair Jurassic World and most games are still presenting dinosaurs as lizards, even though we discovered they (including the T-rex) probably had feathers. The original compares them to birds. Although Dr. Wu does mention that they aren't really like real dinosaurs, so that movie sort of does have a get-out-jail pass.

It seems the vast majority of games are more influenced by Jurassic Park than the reality.

Not that that's bad, but it would be nice to have a game with something closer.

#32 Edited by KungfuKitten (25971 posts) -

Well that's great. So the American natives must be real happy with us. We saved them!

What tribe is this about, specifically? Not all tribes wore feathers that way. Was the tribe that was complaining one accustomed to wearing outfits like that? Do they know that video games are not about being real? Is it a religiously driven argument, like are we accused of shaping their soul with our imagery? Is it about American culture taking over theirs? Is the game & watch feather even clearly indicating what native tribe he's depicting if any? Does that even matter if it's about game history and not real history? I don't get what we're even talking about here.

But thanks to Resetera we don't have to answer these questions. They are like the McDonald's of ethics. They won't even bother us with the details. Thanks Resetera I guess for telling us what we must do to better ourselves. For speaking for all of us human beings. I guess the world is now a better place by taking away that feather. I'm glad I spend some time thinking about this, and that the developers spend some time on it. I'm so glad that this is now something we can grow past and I guess you don't need moderators anymore because we have taken some steps forward today as a society. I want to pat everyone on the back today ::pat pat:: you all did great and keep your eyes peeled for more problematic feathers. Have a good day.

#33 Edited by Jag85 (12408 posts) -

@KungfuKitten:

Would it be okay to make a game where you play as Nazis defending your fort against Jews? Or as white slave owners defending your plantation from angry black slaves? Because that's essentially what Fire Attack (and a lot of old "cowboys & Indians" shit) was, where you play as white "cowboy" colonialists "defending" themselves from Native American "savages", a racist narrative that was used to justify the Native American genocide for centuries. It's easy to see why that shit would be offensive to Native Americans (or frankly, anyone who is repulsed by the Native American genocide). The old racist "cowboys & Indians" garbage may have been popular decades ago, but that shit is not popular today.

Also, there is nothing unusual about Nintendo's move. Disney has been doing the same thing, distancing themselves from racist caricatures found in some of their older works. Like Nintendo said, "The original game on which this depiction of the character is based was released more than three decades ago and does not represent our company values today." Nintendo is a company that has a family-friendly reputation to protect.

#34 Edited by Kali-B1rd (1518 posts) -
@techhog89 said:

Seeing Trump supporters complain about "snowflakes" will never not be hilarious irony. There is no bigger snowflake alive than Agent Orange.

Disclaimer - not a trump supporter, just love mocking it all.

"Stereotypes are bad if you are a WHITE person, but stereotypes about WHITE people are ok, because I love to fetish minorities for free virtue points.!"

#35 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1518 posts) -
@Jag85 said:

@KungfuKitten:

Would it be okay to make a game where you play as Nazis defending your fort against Jews? Or as white slave owners defending your plantation from angry black slaves? Because that's essentially what Fire Attack (and a lot of old "cowboys & Indians" shit) was, where you play as white "cowboy" colonialists "defending" themselves from Native American "savages", a racist narrative that was used to justify the Native American genocide for centuries. It's easy to see why that shit would be offensive to Native Americans (or frankly, anyone who is repulsed by the Native American genocide). The old racist "cowboys & Indians" garbage may have been popular decades ago, but that shit is not popular today.

Also, there is nothing unusual about Nintendo's move. Disney has been doing the same thing, distancing themselves from racist caricatures found in some of their older works. Like Nintendo said, "The original game on which this depiction of the character is based was released more than three decades ago and does not represent our company values today." Nintendo is a company that has a family-friendly reputation to protect.

This is the problem though, you should be able to bring up historic elements and not have to worry about people being offended, all you have to do is ensure it's done in a NEUTRAL manner.

What do you think of "I'l make a man out of you" being removed from Mulan? - Isn't this offensive to the many generations of men for being "who they were"? jsut so some feminist snowflake thinks a WOMAN PRETENDING TO BE A MAN TO GET INTO THE ARMY shouldn't be told to BE A MAN?

Or that they changed out Li Shang's character because he was her SUPERIOR and replaced him with a recruit to say MEN AND WOMAN are equal (even though thye don't know shes a female in the story"

Why is it acceptable that strong male traits that made our society possible are demonized at every step?

and don't get me started on "Cultural Appropriation"

Cultural appropriation, at times also phrased cultural misappropriation, is the adoption of elements of a minority culture by members of the dominant culture. Because of the presence of power imbalances that are a byproduct of colonialism and oppression, cultural appropriation is distinct from equal cultural exchange.

What a load of sh*t.

You can't have equal cultural exchange you will ALWAYS have a dominant one.... because like everything in life, in that time/location/society there will always be a "best or most popular method".

People getting annoyed at Katie Perry for doing a show in a Kimono - while the actual Japanese couldn't give a sh*t either way shows how disconnected the overly-progressive movement is.

I'm pretty sure the progressive movement really hates White Female Red Heads too:

• Mary Jane (Spiderman MCU ) now Black.
  • Triss Merigold - (Witcher Netflix) now Black
  • Starfire (whatever shit it is) now Black

White person likes a minority culture IS NOT ALLOWED TO ACT ON IT. Meanwhile, lets erase white culture and shove everyone elses over it... because that's not going to breed resentment NO SIR.

Want better representation? Make new/better characters in addition, instead of erasing white people culture.

Then maybe the progressive movement, will actually be what it should be.

#36 Posted by nintendoboy16 (35468 posts) -
@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

That, and Native Americans have had strong history of being oppressed, like their land stolen by British and Americans. (In game fiction: covered in the formerly worse Assassin's Creed game, III)

#37 Edited by Techhog89 (3096 posts) -
@kali-b1rd said:
@techhog89 said:

Disclaimer - not a trump supporter, just love mocking it all.

"Stereotypes are bad if you are a WHITE person, but stereotypes about WHITE people are ok, because I love to fetish minorities for free virtue points.!"

What stereotype am I using? And if you don't see how Trump acts like a snowflake, I don't know what to tell you.

#38 Posted by nintendoboy16 (35468 posts) -
@techhog89 said:

And, they keep saying the left should be less PC, yet notable left celebs have gotten called out for playing their game? Examples:

1. Stephen Colbert - Insulting Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin in a matter deemed "homophobic", over how the former mistreated John Dickerson

2. Michelle Wolf - Insulting Sarah Huckabee Sanders, comparing her to a character in Handmaid's Tale

3. Samantha Bee - Insulting Ivanka Trump, calling her a feckless c*** over US handling on migrant families

4. James Gunn - Being anti-Trump, with right-wingers (notably Mike Cernovich) digging up old tweets consisting of jokes not unlike another liberal (Seth MacFarlane; creator of Family Guy), or two centrist libertarians (Matt Stone and Trey Parker; creators of South Park) would crack in their cartoons. It got him fired from Marvel Studios, which put their fans and cast (notably Dave Bautista) in rebellion.

5. Pete Davidson - Insulting Dan Crenshaw, cracking jokes about how he lost an eye in war. And it got criticism from Peter King of all people.

#39 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

Did I stumble into political gamer forum? WTF?

Nope, this is VG SW, let's keep it that way... Mmk? :P

#40 Edited by VFighter (4040 posts) -

@blackballs: Please before you post next time how about you don't watch CNN while smoking meth alright?

#41 Posted by Jag85 (12408 posts) -
@kali-b1rd said:
@Jag85 said:

@KungfuKitten:

This is the problem though, you should be able to bring up historic elements and not have to worry about people being offended, all you have to do is ensure it's done in a NEUTRAL manner.

What do you think of "I'l make a man out of you" being removed from Mulan? - Isn't this offensive to the many generations of men for being "who they were"? jsut so some feminist snowflake thinks a WOMAN PRETENDING TO BE A MAN TO GET INTO THE ARMY shouldn't be told to BE A MAN?

Or that they changed out Li Shang's character because he was her SUPERIOR and replaced him with a recruit to say MEN AND WOMAN are equal (even though thye don't know shes a female in the story"

Why is it acceptable that strong male traits that made our society possible are demonized at every step?

and don't get me started on "Cultural Appropriation"

Not sure what any of this has to do with what I said. You clearly missed the point I was making. I'm not talking about people taking offence to "toxic masculinity" or "cultural appropriation" (concepts which I don't really agree with either). What I'm talking about is an imperialistic narrative that was used to justify the colonization of America and genocide against Native Americans.

When we're talking about historical genocide, that's a completely different ball park. The Native Americans were indigineous to the land until European invaders colonized their lands and perpetrated genocide against the indigineous population. And for centuries, all the way up until the 1960s civil rights movement, America continued to justify the Native American genocide with racist "Cowboys & Indians" stories, victim-blaming Native Americans as "savages" who deserved the oppression, persecution, dispossession and genocide that the invading colonialists perpetrated against them... That's what makes the "Native American savage" trope so extremely repulsive.

#42 Edited by nintendoboy16 (35468 posts) -
@kali-b1rd said:

Did you even WATCH Homecoming? That is an entirely different character. In fact, tons of Spider-Man side characters like Gwen Stacy (ASM) and Mary Jane (Raimi films), hell not even the Osborns (both prior film series) aren't even used yet in the MCU. Which is also why it had different villains never used in prior Spider-Man movies, like Vulture. Even Jon Watts and Kevin Feige made a note that she's a different character.

#43 Posted by PSP107 (17284 posts) -

@SecretPolice:" Did I stumble into political gamer forum?"

Well we are in the political era.

Even sports added political discussions.

#44 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@PSP107:

Don't fall for it all, it's a ploy and takes all the fun outta everything, ruining everything it touches.

There's a time and a place..... Mah 2 cents and worth every penny you paid for it. lol :P

#45 Posted by Chutebox (44055 posts) -

@davillain-: Looks. nothing like it lol

#46 Posted by Chutebox (44055 posts) -

@SecretPolice: Yuuuup

#47 Edited by Kali-B1rd (1518 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Did you even WATCH Homecoming? That is an entirely different character. In fact, tons of Spider-Man side characters like Gwen Stacy (ASM) and Mary Jane (Raimi films), hell not even the Osborns (both prior film series) aren't even used yet in the MCU. Which is also why it had different villains never used in prior Spider-Man movies, like Vulture. Even Jon Watts and Kevin Feige made a note that she's a different character.

I stand corrected, yea I watched it, I couldn't remember so I googled it, with a cursory glance nobody calls her Michelle. and I couldn't remember much about the film, it was pretty forgettable if I was being blunt.

So yea I'l eat the crow.

I'm willing to bet though that Michelle REPLACES Mary-Jane anyway and Mary-Jane won't exist in this version of Spider-man.

The result ends up being the same.

Oh look:

Here we go

And look, you have your lovely progressive media calling it "Gross" that you expect a well liked white red head character to remain... just that:

Leaving aside the (frankly quite gross) subsection of the fan community that opposed this based on Zendaya’s lack of ginger hair (despite the fact that the character has never been played by a natural redhead), the rumors didn’t stop when Marvel refused to flat-out deny anything.

f*ck us all for getting attached to characters and liking their existing race/culture and not expecting it to be changed randomly for a diversity checklist RIGHT? "but but not a natural read head" nobody give a damn as long as it does the job and looks the part.

But yea, you like this kinda thing, you can earn your imaginary virtue points while totally missing the point.

If Michelle existed in the material pre-disney checklist era then I wouldn't be saying a word, as the Sony adaption uses that blonde chick... that does appear in different versions.

Create the source material THEN apply it to the TV/Films so at least it doesn't feel anywhere near as "Diversity Checklist" material.

#48 Posted by PSP107 (17284 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

@PSP107:

Don't fall for it all, it's a ploy and takes all the fun outta everything, ruining everything it touches.

There's a time and a place..... Mah 2 cents and worth every penny you paid for it. lol :P

Oh I don't fall for it. It just I noticed political topics have entered sports/games/etc. more so than ever.

#49 Edited by KungfuKitten (25971 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@KungfuKitten:

To be honest if those games were made I would have to try really hard to be offended because it's so far removed from my life. So it's tough for me to imagine being in such a position. And maybe that's why I think differently about these things? Let's say a game is made where they make fun of me as a person. Even then I cannot imagine me trying to take it down or getting it changed to no longer represent me. It would have to get to the point that it would hinder my life or put my life at risk (like risking my mental health because I'd get bullied on a frequent basis or preventing job opportunities) for me to try and change that. Which doesn't mean people should (be able to) feel the way I feel. Everybody certainly has the right to be offended. And I cannot speak for anyone but me, but that's how I feel about it.

So I don't really get that mindset at all, especially the part where it would be offensive to anyone who is repulsed by the Native American Genocide. Because we're talking directly about a game here and the freedom to depict things differently. And indirectly about real people and the statement that it makes... but only if you take it that seriously and turn it into an educational tool or super-influential tool and I don't think that's happening. So in my mind this situation involves a whole differently world and a whole different value that is being attacked. And the idea that it's important how it impacts real people through a message or something only exists somewhere far on the background. To the point that I don't believe that by removing the feather they are offending fewer people.

But I'm glad that you have your own opinion on that. Especially because I can be very wrong about this and I know it's a sensitive topic and I'm not at all certain about it. (So I hope I maintain the right to change my mind at some point.) I do agree with you that it is nothing unusual. Every game company constantly changes things in games for different regions to make it more culturally acceptable because none of them are really hoping for a backlash. And they will happily continue doing that no matter what I think about it. I don't think this decision has anything to do with them being a family-friendly company though because it's not an educational tool.

BTW I don't think it's a big deal that they changed it. It's fine with me I just find it dubious and I suspect that this move and this discussion mostly happens out of the concern that some people may be offended. And honestly my take away is that, that's really sweet. To care and worry for other people like that is really sweet. And I think that with most discussions it's people on both sides who have a heart of gold, and it's mostly a problem of us not understanding it all. I do believe that if media 'misrepresents' something over and over and over again that it can become so frustrating that you want to see it changed. Like if women are constantly depicted as 'whiny' it can become so annoying that you can't stop noticing it. So I think there is probably something to be said for the way you're looking at it.

#50 Posted by ProtossRushX (4712 posts) -

will the attack still be in the game without the feather on his head or is he just getting nerfed?

this could affect the game and watch gameplay and thats wrong people shouldn't be mad about this

is the team the cleveland indians racist cuz there indians ? I mean WTF no its not racist indians is fine its fine your gonna be fine