Nintendo; "In the long-term, perhaps our focus as a business could shift away from home consoles"

• 109 results
#1 Edited by Juub1990 (8299 posts) -

"In the long-term, perhaps our focus as a business could shift away from home consoles – flexibility is just as important as ingenuity...I’d like to increase the (amount of) games on smartphones that have a continuous stream of revenue."

Source

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/01/future_business_shift_could_see_nintendo_move_away_from_home_console_development

Can’t blame him. The moola is in mobile gaming. Especially in Japan.

#2 Posted by Fedor (3707 posts) -

#3 Edited by Jacanuk (17446 posts) -

About time Nintendo sees the light.

There is a massive profit beast lying dormant within Nintendo they could awaken if they stopped making a console and began sticking to mobile platforms and also cross-platform games.

#4 Posted by Xabiss (2191 posts) -

Well that would SUCK!

#5 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24933 posts) -

I know a lot of mobile gamers who would be delighted if Nintendo ported its games over to smartphones and tablets. I always thought Nintendo can't ignore the mobile market forever.

#6 Posted by Archangel3371 (26695 posts) -

That sounds terrible to me.

#7 Posted by enzyme36 (3908 posts) -

They still believe in gaming... I trust em

#8 Edited by Basinboy (13697 posts) -

If Nintendo ever leaves hardware behind, it will be precipitated by the tech giants opening up their ecosystems and lowering their license fees.

So basically never gonna happen.

#9 Edited by ellos (1811 posts) -

They want more revenues its understandable. As a company they are absolutely on fire right now. Software revenue wise they are competing with Microsoft why? They should be way up there given how prolific they are. Mobile has been slowly killing stand alone handheld market which used to be another source of software revenues for them.

#10 Posted by onesiphorus (2647 posts) -

Interesting that no one ever realized that Fire Emblem Heroes is Nintendo's biggest mobile title with Super Mario Run being last.

#11 Posted by nintendoboy16 (35564 posts) -

I had my suspicions on this guy the moment he made statements that would make the pro-"Nintendo should be third party" glee.

#12 Edited by uninspiredcup (29940 posts) -

Nintendo is the only thing saving console gaming atm.

Outside of them it's just shitty movie games and get rich schemes.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#13 Edited by blaznwiipspman1 (7089 posts) -

Nintendo was the first to release a mass market touch screen mobile device way back in 2004 with the DS. If they added some phone functions to it back then, they could have seriously stunted the growth of apple who released iPhone only in 2006. I mean dual touch screens?? That was just unprecedented in 2004. They had the vision but they have restricted themselves to just gaming market. Even within gaming, it took them 20 years just to bring some kind of online service. Even still that service is pretty crap.

Nintendo are run by a bunch of sad old geezer fks. That's all I will say about that.

#14 Posted by Sevenizz (2506 posts) -

I don’t think of the Switch as a home console. I think of it as a portable gaming device for kids or a tablet with ridiculously expensive apps.

#15 Posted by jcrame10 (4571 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Even though other developers are pushing hardware limitations via game world design, graphics, gameplay, storytelling....

So, are you referring to the 8th title in a kart racer franchise that was ported over, the 5th game in a fighting series that hasn't changed much at all, or the remaster of Pokemon Yellow?
If you mean Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild, those games were both influenced by the developers you're hating on ironically enough.

#16 Posted by Fedor (3707 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

I don’t think of the Switch as a home console. I think of it as a portable gaming device for kids or a tablet with ridiculously expensive apps.

#17 Posted by BassMan (9493 posts) -

Fvck mobile. I just want them to release their games on PC.

#18 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1681 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

There is a massive profit beast lying dormant within Nintendo they could awaken if they stopped making a console and began sticking to mobile platforms and also cross-platform games.

What are you talking about.... yea they make money, but its not good for any of us who like games.

Mario Mobile - is just MEH.

Fire Emblem Heroes - is 90% selling Waifus in skimpy/damaged armour to horny people.

I mean, ffs Fire Emblem is PERFECT for phones... but what do they make? a VERY LIMITED fire emblem game with NO DEPTH, and make you pay for random loot cra-characters. Want your favourite character? Prey to get that 1% dice roll once a week, or pay RIDICULOUS amounts and STILL not get it.

These companies want to make phone games because people in general are addicted to gambling, the games cost nothing to make, have no depth and earn millions.

#19 Edited by Jacanuk (17446 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:
@Jacanuk said:

What are you talking about.... yea they make money, but its not good for any of us who like games.

Fire Emblem Heroes - is 90% selling Waifus in skimpy/damaged armour to horny people.

I mean, ffs Fire Emblem is PERFECT for phones... but what do they make? a VERY LIMITED fire emblem game with NO DEPTH, and make you pay for random loot cra-characters. Want your favourite character? Prey to get that 1% dice roll once a week, or pay RIDICULOUS amounts and STILL not get it.

These companies want to make phone games because people in general are addicted to gambling, the games cost nothing to make, have no depth and earn millions.

What do you mean it´s not good for any of us that likes games? So you would not enjoy Nintendo games if you could get it on PC or Ps4/Xbox?

I was not talking about going strictly mobile, but Nintendo stopping with the whole main console game and focusing on their handheld devices and developing their IP´s for all platforms.

Of course, Nintendo should not stick to mobile/smartphone games, no one should

#20 Posted by nintendoboy16 (35564 posts) -
@BassMan said:

That's just as bad. Besides, given herms like you slammed Nintendo for 'consolizing your genres' like with FPS like this and RTS like this and this, I think you're fine without them.

@kali-b1rd said:

About time someone else, and one who is not a sheep, acknowledges that Nintendo's mobile output is a joke.

#21 Posted by Mandzilla (2660 posts) -

@fedor: Wow, 90%? I didn't realise it was such a sausage fest over on the Switch.

#22 Edited by uninspiredcup (29940 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Even though other developers are pushing hardware limitations via game world design, graphics, gameplay, storytelling....

Na.. From what we can see from Ubisoft that focus is on pumping out the same shit over and over until brand recognition is burned inside your brain.

EA? All about the loot boxes, entire games designed around them until the government got involved.

Microsoft? Microtransactions. Also lootboxes before the government got involved.

Activision? Copying the trend of PC battle-royal games. Implementing microtransactions at a later date to circumvent reviews.

Sony? Movie games. Lot's of them. Production values masking shallow, empty, waste of interactive experiences.

Aside from the odd Bloodborn, ignoring these consoles and simply owning a PC and NIntendo, you really aren't missing anything.

Without Nintendo console gaming might as well be thrown on a bonfire.

#23 Posted by robert_sparkes (1997 posts) -

Nintendo already have I don't see the switch as a home console. It's a handheld that connects to the tv which is no bad thing it's working for them.

#24 Posted by Techhog89 (3324 posts) -

Oh, is it that time of day when we make a fuss over nothing again?

#25 Posted by Fedor (3707 posts) -

@mandzilla: D's only, friend.

#26 Posted by BoxRekt (135 posts) -

This really scares me.

I dont' want to see a console world with only Sony and MS.

#27 Posted by KBFloYd (21225 posts) -

@fedor said:
@Sevenizz said:

#28 Posted by KBFloYd (21225 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

@fedor: Wow, 90%? I didn't realise it was such a sausage fest over on the Switch.

i expect its even worse on shitstation and xbox imo

#29 Posted by MarioFan264 (1012 posts) -

@kali-b1rd:Yup, if Nintendo exited out of the console market and went purely mobile, that would be the end. The mobile market is all about RNG microtransactions for absurdly ridiculous prices. There are people out there who spend their entire paychecks on that nonsense. Underneath the RNG microtransactions (which will try their hardest to sucker people in) these games are just limited "lite" versions of the games from their own series found on consoles. Not only Fire Emblem, but Animal Crossing Pocket Camp is exactly the same. These would not be good games, even without the RNG microtransactions.

Nevertheless, the RNG microtransactions makes these games very toxic. If Nintendo seeks out this market, they're throwing us all under the bus for horrible gambling schemes.

People like to talk about how good Nintendo is versus other video game companies, how they have more integrity, but that is utter bull. Anyone who has played FE or AC:PC know that Nintendo is doing the exact same crappy RNG microtransaction crap that other companies are doing.

#30 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1681 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@Jacanuk said:

What do you mean it´s not good for any of us that likes games? So you would not enjoy Nintendo games if you could get it on PC or Ps4/Xbox?

I was not talking about going strictly mobile, but Nintendo stopping with the whole main console game and focusing on their handheld devices and developing their IP´s for all platforms.

Ofcourse I would enjoy it, I've advocated in the past.... the Wii and Wii U were terrible devices and at that point in their life I happily wanted multi plats.

But then I really like the switch, it fills a gap in gaming that a PS4 cannot fill. or an Xbox ... if it wasn't for Bloodborne/God of War this generation, I would not of needed a PS4 at all.. simply no reason.

Switch on the other hand gets great use... its a clever piece of kit, that wouldn't of happened without nintendo.

I mean, the Switch is a handheld with a HDMI cable, so they are already at that point. Only this handheld has full proper controls as a console does, the only difference between a handheld and a console now is the power.

#31 Posted by Mandzilla (2660 posts) -

@fedor: Hey, speak for yourself lol. xD

#32 Posted by Mandzilla (2660 posts) -

@KBFloYd: Yeah, just surprising that so few girls play games compared to guys in the US.

#33 Posted by AJStyles (342 posts) -

Good. Nintendo’s hardware sucks.

The delusional fanboys will be thanking me later when Nintendo isn’t forced to gimp their own games anymore.

Instead of wasting money on hardware, they can use that towards software and create better games.

Only Nintendo fanboys think this is a bad idea when in reality, going 3rd party is the best thing for Nintendo.

#34 Posted by Mandzilla (2660 posts) -

@ajstyles: Now you're begging for Nintendo games? Okay.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#35 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2546 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Oh please.... Sony is the king right now. Nintendo gimmicks are fun but they are not saving anything.

#36 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (18938 posts) -

@kali-b1rd: Actually, Fire Emblem Heroes has a real in depth gameplay, despite how simple it looks. I stuggle in maps with Abyssal mode. It's a matter of time to power up your units and collecting feathers

#37 Edited by nintendoboy16 (35564 posts) -
@mandzilla said:

@ajstyles: Now you're begging for Nintendo games? Okay.

The pro-"Nintendo should be third party" crowd are a bunch of hypocrites.

@ajstyles said:

The delusional fanboys will be thanking me later when Nintendo isn’t forced to gimp their own games anymore.

Instead of wasting money on hardware, they can use that towards software and create better games.

Only Nintendo fanboys think this is a bad idea when in reality, going 3rd party is the best thing for Nintendo.

If anything, we'll be thanking you for endorsing Nintendo making future "Sonic 06/Boom's" and "Ultimate Battle 22's" in their third party years. Seriously, a multiplat Nintendo is THIS waiting to happen:

Loading Video...

#38 Edited by Mandzilla (2660 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: Yup, a few select cows are very hypocritical. Forever calling sheep/hermits/lems beggers, yet at the same time holding out hope that Mario will come and rescue them from their castle.

#39 Posted by VFighter (4168 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Sometimes you make really good post, other times you're one just another troll. Today you're the latter.

#40 Posted by JoPython52 (82 posts) -

I don’t buy or play mobile games now. That won’t change for me if Nintendo makes mobile games.

But if they abandon consoles, I abandon Nintendo.

#41 Posted by mumunaro (112 posts) -

Im ok if they want to EXPAND into mobile gaming but gamers have a problem when you use words like SHIFTING FOCUS.

Its the same problem about a decade ago when devs and pubs used to say "we are now developing for consoles instead of focusing on pc" (luckily PC is an extremely resilient platform and has thus weathered and actually came out ever stronger).

But now its mobile and consolites are beginning to understand the problem PC gamers had a decade ago. Except they are entirely reliant on major publishers deciding what they can and cannot enjoy.

#42 Posted by Jag85 (12564 posts) -

@blaznwiipspman1: If they combined the Nintendo DS with the i-mode service (an early smartphone network and app store that was popular in Japan), then that would've pretty much been like the iPhone. What a missed opportunity. But that's not something a gaming company like Nintendo would've anticipated at the time.

#43 Posted by TempestNut (27 posts) -

Really it doesn't matter to me, The last console game systems I owned was a Super Nintendo, PS1, and the Atari Jaguar, It's been PC ever since because I could play all those games and other console game that came after them on my PC...

#44 Edited by Jag85 (12564 posts) -

When you see the amount of cash these mobile games are making, you can't blame them for wanting that mobile cash. Fire Emblem Heroes already made $400 million+, equivalent to a $30 game selling 13M+ units. And even that pales in comparison to the highest-grossing mobile app, Monster Strike, which made $7.2 billion+, equivalent to a $30 game selling 240M+ units. Ironically, Monster Strike was created by an ex-Capcom dev, Street Fighter II creator Yoshiki Okamoto... Capcom must regret letting him go.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#45 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (7089 posts) -

@Jag85: Nintendo was always innovating but they refused to leave the gaming market. If not for smartphones creeping on their territory, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I think Nintendo is worried about their 3ds. There hasn't been any mention of a new portable, likely because they know it would tank due to competition from smartphones. They should just release a Nintendo phone with Android OS. I'd buy it

#46 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (18116 posts) -

Not surprising. I think it's inevitable that consoles will eventually cease to exist... at least in current form.

But I think that's still years away.

#47 Posted by jeezers (2096 posts) -

@MarioFan264: what if Nintendo went into mobile and diddnt implement micro transaction but made the games a decent price, Nintendo could take over the mobile market if they did the opposite of the leaches (micro transaction games) they put out solid 1st party mobile games and dont pull any micro transactions they could lead the market, maybe even influence competition to do the same, what if Nintendo could make mobile a decent platform? Its a hypothetical but what if lol

#48 Posted by Jag85 (12564 posts) -

@blaznwiipspman1: The mobile market is crowded these days. Nintendo kind of missed the boat. When they were soaring in the DS/Wii era, they could've released a smartphone and become a serious competitor to the iPhone and Galaxy. But it's not too late. A Nintendo phone could still do well, and be a potential game-changer for the mobile market.

#49 Posted by LuxuryHeart (987 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:

I had my suspicions on this guy the moment he made statements that would make the pro-"Nintendo should be third party" glee.

They won't cheer with glee for long when they find out that Nintendo going third party means mobile only. :p

@BassMan said:

Too bad. He literally just said movies, theme parks, merchandising, and mobile. Either take their games on the Switch or take them on mobile devices. Your pick.

@Jacanuk said:

@ajstyles said:

These are examples of dumb hardcores. Nintendo won't make games for Xbox/PS/PC. They'll make them strictly for mobile devices. I'll honestly laugh at the hardcores wanting them to go third party when they only make games for mobile. Talk about karma.

#50 Edited by I_P_Daily (9836 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Nintendo the only ones saving console gaming LMFAO, oh and as for the last bold part well, hermit Chris Roberts and a little known title called Star Citizen would like to have a word with you at citizencon of course ROFL.