Is getting angry about Diablo Immortal just childish baby entitlement?

• 132 results
Posted by uninspiredcup (29223 posts) 1 month, 13 days ago

Poll: Is getting angry about Diablo Immortal just childish baby entitlement? (80 votes)

Such immature 39%
It correct 61%

From a business standpoint,Diablo is essentially a cookie-clicking game. Aside from maybe choosing a skill tree, there isn't really any skill involved, you simply run at things and click like a madmad until you get that "ding". It's perfect for mobile gaming, and surprising this didn't happen earlier. It will no doubt be hugely popular.

Are fans correct to be outraged or this is just another embarrassing moment (one of many) in gaming?

No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by superbuuman (6367 posts) -

They are allow to vent?...will they vote with their wallet...I mean if they're gonna buy it & play it anyway its kinda pointless. Best way if they dislike it..is to not buy/play the game...& let the game flop. :P

#2 Edited by Gatygun (1297 posts) -

These clowns got paid billions by the fans for support of there franchises. All they have to show for is a mobile reskin of existing mobile games already. Some new new cards, and a absolute zero effort overnight done warcraft 3 remaster that honestly hasn't had any budget behind it. there Virtual ticket is a joke people at the show are leaving in droves because they regret wasting 200 bucks on the event that honestly has no content.

Blizzard basically spitted in the faces of there fans with that diablo announcement. If it was a side project nobody cared, but it's there main project. Which is what makes it ridiculous.

People are mad because they aspect the company to at least showcase them something after all the time they got. It's clear they don't care. Look how long it takes them to relaunch vanilla which is basically already made for them by fans to start with. They even went out of there way to spend time on making a "beta" instead they could have launched the entire game easily. It's laughable at best.

The company is a running joke and people get fed up from it

It's not rocket science.

#3 Posted by AdobeArtist (25026 posts) -

It's not entitlement of the consumer. It's a complete failure of the publisher knowing their market audience.

#4 Posted by madrocketeer (5892 posts) -

The outrage is justified somewhat, but I think the scale of it is overblown. It's not like Blizzard went AWOL for 8 years after a widely-panned main instalment, cancelling another one in the process, only to announce this thing out of the blue. They already said they have multiple Diablo projects in the works, it's just they're not ready to be shown yet. They released an expansion just last year, for crying out loud. But, you know, the internet has a way of narrowing one's perspective and amplifying emotions to extremes. "Real-life Warhammer 40,000's Warp," as I like to say.

That said, Blizzard did f*** up with this thing. Either they should have announced it alongside something bigger, or they should have just posted a Tweet and be done with it, not give it the prime-time stage at your main convention. That, along with the "don't you have a phone" comment just make them look incredibly out of touch.

Blizzard definitely f***ed up, but the outrage is overblown, in the context of things.

#5 Posted by That_Old_Guy (674 posts) -

There’s a whole culture and market for mobile games. People need to understand that. This game isnt for you if you wanted D4 for PC or whatever else.

That said, I think it’s completely understandable for the people, the die hard Blizzard fans, who paid money to get a ticket to this event and take time out of their schedule to be upset with this announcemen.

Its a mobile game. Ok, fine. But don’t make such a huge hype deal about it and act like you’re saving the best for last at an event attended by people that most wont care about this product.

I didn’t really care either way but I watched a Yong Yea video about it and got that perspective. I think he has a point. The people attending point.

The first part is how I see things.

#6 Edited by Sancho_Panzer (441 posts) -

Lol, it was the question on everyone's mind though. Audiences have got used to the presentation format: Joke Funko Pops announcement, then the real announcement. Fans paid $200 a head to attend Blizzcon 2018, I'm not surprised some of them feel strongly about Diablo. Just wondering how much these Twitter pundits paid...

#7 Edited by Howmakewood (5532 posts) -

If they announced that anywhere but Blizzcon the outcry would have been nowhere near the size

#8 Posted by Litchie (22659 posts) -

Iunno. I personally just think it's sad. Blizzard are already so much worse now than they've been in the past, and this is just further proof that they're not improving.

#9 Edited by AJStyles (248 posts) -

1. Like you said, Diablo sucks in general and is just a mouse clicking game. No skill. It’s a very overrated series. The fans getting mad is hilarious. I love the tears.

2. However, the fact Blizzard charged fans $50-$200 each to watch or attend this event and NOT give the fans what they want is complete BS.

That is the exact same thing as UFC hyping a Jon Jones fight, people buying tickets to see him and then he no shows. Or WWE advertising John Cena and he no shows.

These are your most hardcore fans paying you $50-$200 for an official announcement and at the very least, a trailer with a vague release date. That is what was teased and expected.

The backlash wouldn’t be as bad if the fans got that.

So once again: LOL at pc gamers in general, while anyone who wasted money on this is justified to be angry.

#10 Posted by R10nu (1418 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

It's not entitlement of the consumer. It's a complete failure of the publisher knowing their market audience.

Yep, they should've known people are not gonna be hype about a mobile title and should've been upfront about what the game is.

Instead we get a well-produced CG trailer.

We get a title screen.

We get 5 minutes of horseshit PR talk about how this Diablo is the freshest shit ever.

Switch to gameplay: It's a fucking mobile game.

I bet Blizzard are kicking themselves for not making women more prominent in that trailer. Could've gone full EA and called fans' backlash sexist.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#11 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2411 posts) -

1 - What if there is a market of consumers looking for games like this on mobile?

2 - Mobile gamers spend tons of money

3 - Diablo is a mindless clicker

The outrage is nothing more than entitled gamers crying

#12 Posted by sonny2dap (1476 posts) -

People are free to feel upset, the strength of reaction rather suggests ActiBlizzard is out of touch with the people who actually buy their products, who knows the same people may end up buying this anyway, I hope they don't but stranger things have happened.

#13 Posted by DaVillain- (33036 posts) -

Blizzard went EA route with this one big time. You would think the other company would learned a thing from and yet, Blizzard didn't learned from EA's mistake with Command & Conquer Mobile. That said, the franchise died for me years ago when they announced D3 had no LAN support, so I have no issue with this coming to Mobile.

#14 Posted by enzyme36 (3821 posts) -

I think people complain entirely too much....

But Blizzards marketing was really confusing and set their fans up for disappointment.

When fallout shelter was announced, it was a side note, a unexpected freebie to the main course. Meanwhile Bizzard was hyping kinda hyping new Diablo news, and having that hype be a reskinned crappy f2p 3rd party mobile game was a real let down to some. I'm sure people were thinking either d4 or a d2 rm.

#15 Edited by madsnakehhh (16303 posts) -

The outrage is without a doubt an overreaction ... With that being said, I do get what people is being mad... Is like if Nintendo announced Super Mario Run with bells and whistles and they just said ... We do have other Mario projects in the works but let's focus on this one instead. So yeah, the community is overreacting ... But at the same time, Blizzard dropped the ball here as well.

#16 Edited by Ten_Pints (3513 posts) -

It's much like Konami releasing pachinko machines instead of games.

How can anyone be hyped for something they don't want. Blizzard lost me with D3, that game was such a disappointment I just don't care what they do they are dead to me.

#17 Posted by svaubel (4095 posts) -

I think it's justified. Its like the people wanting a new C&C game just to have EA shat out that mobile abomination they couldn't stop talking about at their E3 conference.

Mobile games already get an insanely bad rep due to so many of them being free to wait/pay to win. So to me, making a game like this is less about trying to give those with a phone a good Diablo experience, and more about trying to milk it for as much money as they can while they can.

The old Blizzard is long dead. This year's Blizzcon was just more demonstration of that.

#18 Edited by uninspiredcup (29223 posts) -

@svaubel said:

I think it's justified. Its like the people wanting a new C&C game just to have EA shat out that mobile abomination they couldn't stop talking about at their E3 conference.

Mobile games already get an insanely bad rep due to so many of them being free to wait/pay to win. So to me, making a game like this is less about trying to give those with a phone a good Diablo experience, and more about trying to milk it for as much money as they can while they can.

The old Blizzard is long dead. This year's Blizzcon was just more demonstration of that.

Good point. Although I think there is a difference. Diablo 3 is a relatively new and updated game still getting releases.

CnC is dead and buried, EA had a history of buying up companies for an IP and then crushing them, and milking the IP until all dignity is gone. After Westwood Studios getting killed and a previous (mediocre) change in direction after such a prolonged hiatus, along with a showing that desperately tried to market it as competitive, with a basic underlying EA being EA, I think that was more justified. That really was corporate rape. I'd honestly take a beverage from Bill Cosby over Andrew Wilson.

#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (97527 posts) -

There seemed to be a heavy indication that they would be releasing new Diablo content for non-mobile platforms. Then coming out at Blizzcon of all places and dropping a mobile game and a remaster, I could see people who are big into Diablo and other Blizzard franchises being incredibly disappointed.

The only Blizzard franchise I've ever been actually invested in has been StarCraft, but I have played a fair bit of Diablo III (not like most, but about 50+ hours) and enjoyed my time with it.

Consumers have every right to express their disappointment, these companies wouldn't exist if it weren't for them. And the more and more they become disconnected from their core consumer base, the more they'll realize they won't be making high level content anymore. Once you go mobile, you kind of lose your identity as a developer.

#20 Posted by pelvist (7198 posts) -

Im not too sure whats going on here but it looks like they excited Diablo fans by teasing a new Diablo game and used that to build hype for a game that they should have known none of them would want. Now they are blaming the "toxic fans" who dont appreciate the hard work that went into developing their bad decision.

#21 Posted by Xabiss (2094 posts) -

Good lord it had nothing to do about Diablo going mobile. It had everything to do how they announcement the project. If that was the only Diablo announcement they could make they should of saved it for their Asian market and brought nothing about Diablo to Blizzcon. If they really wanted to announce it Blizzcon well they should of made the announcement with something PC/Console related at Blizzcon period. If they would of said hey here is a teaser for Diablo 4/Diablo 2 remake and oh on the side we have Diablo Immortal Blizzcon would of taken the announcement a lot better.

#22 Posted by XVision84 (14469 posts) -

Personally, I think it's both. Why does Diablo Immortal have to be side-shafted as a mobile game announcement? It could be a project they're excited about releasing and they shouldn't be forced to put it off until Diablo 4 is ready. When they're ready to show off Diablo 4, they will show it off. However, Blizzard definitely should have made it clear that this wasn't going to be a big announcement and hampered expectations. They got what was coming to them by faking the hype.

#23 Posted by Techhog89 (3096 posts) -

@uninspiredcup It's Apple and Google's fault, amirite?

Also, why do you have like 8 alts?

#24 Edited by Kali-B1rd (1518 posts) -

I don't think this is based completely on 1 incident, its a reflection of "Modern Blizzard" in general.

It's not the first time they've basically tried to tell their audience what they SHOULD want/like. despite the opposite being fedback to them thousands of times over.

WoW Classis - is not true classic, and its gonna take another 8 months to release.... its quite pathetic.

Warcraft 3 remaster - that doesn't really look that good.. looks like a modders work.... and the genre is on life support anyway....

Diablo Immortal - is a re-skin of a chinese knock-off, clearly aimed at the chinese market..... hyping this at your 90% WESTERN event is ridiculous. If Diablo is a pathetic clicker game like some peasants are saying in this thread, why is it not an almost-direct port? oh right.. because its a chinese market aimed knock off.

Diablo 3 has been inferior to Path of Exile since its inception.... fans are already sour about the whole thing.

Modern Blizzard, like many companies that got too big, or got bought out by shady publishers lost their way years ago.

#25 Posted by VagrantSnow (106 posts) -

If it was just a random announcement at any other time of the year it wouldn't have received so much backlash. Announcing a mobile game as a headlining reveal at a big conference that people are paying $200 to attend and trying to convince people that this is some major, exciting news is just bad marketing. To then be told that those people are wrong for being disappointed and that they should be excited for something that isn't exciting only compounds on the disgruntlement people are going to be feeling.

Even if it was revealed earlier in the conference and they let Warcraft 3 Reforged headline, it probably wouldn't have received nearly as much bad publicity as it has already.

#26 Posted by poe13 (667 posts) -
@Gatygun said:

These clowns got paid billions by the fans for support of there franchises. All they have to show for is a mobile reskin of existing mobile games already. Some new new cards, and a absolute zero effort overnight done warcraft 3 remaster that honestly hasn't had any budget behind it. there Virtual ticket is a joke people at the show are leaving in droves because they regret wasting 200 bucks on the event that honestly has no content.

Blizzard basically spitted in the faces of there fans with that diablo announcement. If it was a side project nobody cared, but it's there main project. Which is what makes it ridiculous.

People are mad because they aspect the company to at least showcase them something after all the time they got. It's clear they don't care. Look how long it takes them to relaunch vanilla which is basically already made for them by fans to start with. They even went out of there way to spend time on making a "beta" instead they could have launched the entire game easily. It's laughable at best.

The company is a running joke and people get fed up from it

It's not rocket science.

This guy gets it. Notice how anytime people get mad and bitch online about any other industry that isn't video games or entertainment, they aren't called "manchildren" or "basement dwellers with nothing to do with their lives". They are just angry customers. Like Gatygun said, lots of people paid lots of money to go to an annual convention to hear news of not really a new game or massive update, but a mobile game...for a phone.

Now I personally don't care myself. I'll probably even try it and most likely discard it after not even an hour of playtime when it eventually comes out. But I think these guys have a right to voice their opinion and yeah, surprise! Maybe announcing a mobile game on a smartphone isn't going to attract a whole lot of positive reception. Blizzard is just gonna have to #dealwithit.

#27 Posted by BigBadBully (2019 posts) -

Just need to learn not everything is meant for them. Kids just hating/crying about everything on social media.

#28 Posted by Boycie (4608 posts) -

People have every right to get really upset that a game is not directly aimed at them. Look how many hardcore gamers shat themselves over Nintendo having the audacity to put out labo. A produce clearly not aimed at them, so the quite rightly got upset and angry.

#29 Posted by Archangel3371 (26444 posts) -

I think that they have a right to be upset. This is a franchise that the fan base has played on PC and consoles over its years. They then teased a new Diablo announcement and those fans paid very good money to go to the event with very certain expectations. How Blizzard thought that the announcement of a watered down mobile Diablo game that looks very much like a touched up reskin of another mobile game to this fan base would be a good idea just blows my mind. Are they completely ignorant to how mobile games are perceived? Did they not see the reaction that Command & Conquer Rivals receive at this year’s E3?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#30 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27401 posts) -

Entitled ninnies, the lot of 'em.

Having a mobile option is simply good business. Just like having a multiplayer game in your lineup is good business.

Don't let loud internet crybabies tell you different. Outrage queens.

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
#31 Posted by GiveMeSomething (1239 posts) -

Did blizzard pay you to make this thread? I dont see any other explanation for such childish stupid topic

#32 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27401 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

I think that they have a right to be upset. This is a franchise that the fan base has played on PC and consoles over its years. They then teased a new Diablo announcement and those fans paid very good money to go to the event with very certain expectations. How Blizzard thought that the announcement of a watered down mobile Diablo game that looks very much like a touched up reskin of another mobile game to this fan base would be a good idea just blows my mind. Are they completely ignorant to how mobile games are perceived? Did they not see the reaction that Command & Conquer Rivals receive at this year’s E3?

Who cares about how something is perceived by a bunch of loud nerds on the internet.

The companies see all the money being made and would be idiots not to have something available for that particular market.

#33 Posted by BlackBalls (884 posts) -

@superbuuman said:

They are allow to vent?...will they vote with their wallet...I mean if they're gonna buy it & play it anyway its kinda pointless. Best way if they dislike it..is to not buy/play the game...& let the game flop. :P

Internet nerds do this all the time, yet most games are breaking sales record.

#34 Edited by xantufrog (10097 posts) -

I think the company is trying to tap a new market, rather than pleasing their core Diablo fan base.

I think they have a right to do that

...but I also think the fanbase has a right to be angry. Diablo 3 was controversial already, and now after all this time... Gamers can get mad about pretty dumb shit, but games are, literally, made FOR us. So at the end of the day, I'd say neither party is out of line

#35 Posted by Archangel3371 (26444 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: Just because people complain about something that doesn’t automatically make them a bunch of “loud nerds”. It’s their fan base and companies should very much be cognizant of how they might react to something. I’m not saying that this game shouldn’t exist and that they shouldn’t tap into the mobile market but they should very much be aware of the when, where, and how’s of presenting their products and this was in no way a good way to have done it.

#36 Posted by k--m--k (2773 posts) -

Heh, whatever you want.

I lost any respect I had for Blizzard anyway.

#37 Edited by briguyb13 (2852 posts) -

Normally I'd say 'yes' it is entitlement from delusional gamers, but in this case I can understand why people are upset about these mobile cash grabs that have become a thing with developers.

#38 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27401 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Just because people complain about something that doesn’t automatically make them a bunch of “loud nerds”. It’s their fan base and companies should very much be cognizant of how they might react to something. I’m not saying that this game shouldn’t exist and that they shouldn’t tap into the mobile market but they should very much be aware of the when, where, and how’s of presenting their products and this was in no way a good way to have done it.

Says who? A bunch of nerds online. These shows aren't for you. They're really for the media and shareholders. E3 has the same problem. Gamers think everything belongs to them or caters to them. It's really becoming a serious problem. Not a single announcement goes without someone complaining about something.

#39 Posted by Archangel3371 (26444 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: Sorry but I don’t buy that lameass “these shows aren’t for gamers” excuse. BlizzCon is definitely for the fans. The fact that these fans who actually paid money to go to the event and that the audience in attendance actually booed the announcement seems lost on you not to mention the absolute irony of you calling the fans “nerds” on an Internet game forum.

#40 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27401 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Sorry but I don’t buy that lameass “these shows aren’t for gamers” excuse. BlizzCon is definitely for the fans. The fact that these fans who actually paid money to go to the event and that the audience in attendance actually booed the announcement seems lost on you not to mention the absolute irony of you calling the fans “nerds” on an Internet game forum.

Petulent children who don't know how to behave. Plenty of other things were announced for those sorry basement dwellers. And much like fallout 76, they can't stand anyone else getting a product made for them.

Yeah, they're nerds and nobody cares what they think because normal people don't come here to complain about things they don't want to buy.

I love MGS, and survive wasn't an affront to my fanhood, in fact, because I kept an open mind I ended up really enjoying the experience that game had to offer. But you see, that requires being an adult, and gaming is filled with grown men who are really just angry little kids.

#41 Posted by Archangel3371 (26444 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: You’re too hostile and ignorant to try to discuss anything with so I’m done with you. Funny how you like to call others “nerds”, “angry little kids”, “petulant children” when you come across as exactly that yourself.

#42 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42411 posts) -

People seem to be under the impression that 1, 2, 3, 10, 50, 100, 1000 opinions seem to establish this opinion as "common", when really it's just the "loudest" and most abrasive opinion.

Are there a lot of outraged dipshits upset about Diablo 3 going to mobile? Probably not. Does it seem that way? Sure.

When are people going to learn that the internet, while incredible, needs to be taken with a large dose of salt.

#43 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (27401 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@Bread_or_Decide: You’re too hostile and ignorant to try to discuss anything with so I’m done with you. Funny how you like to call others “nerds”, “angry little kids”, “petulant children” when you come across as exactly that yourself.

No, I'm just fed up with these reactions.

9 things announced to please fans.

They focus on one thing made for someone else.

I'm done with gamers and this idiotic attitude. It's really the worst part of the hobby.

#44 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27401 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

People seem to be under the impression that 1, 2, 3, 10, 50, 100, 1000 opinions seem to establish this opinion as "common", when really it's just the "loudest" and most abrasive opinion.

Are there a lot of outraged dipshits upset about Diablo 3 going to mobile? Probably not. Does it seem that way? Sure.

When are people going to learn that the internet, while incredible, needs to be taken with a large dose of salt.

Did we learn nothing from the 2016 US election? The Internet is an echo chamber for your beliefs.

#45 Posted by Archangel3371 (26444 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: As difficult as it may be for you to grasp there are perfectly valid times and reasons for fans of any particular franchise to complain or be upset about something.

#46 Edited by dzimm (5074 posts) -

You know what I do when I'm not interested in something? I ignore it. Blizzard just gave us the definitive portable Diablo experience with the release of Diablo III on the Switch, which I'm perfectly happy with. I don't generally play mobile games on my phone anyway because it tends to kill the battery, and I actually use my phone for communication (novel concept, I know).

Although I am amused at the rage over on the Battle.net forum. One of the MVP posters talked about how she was literally crying over the announcement of Diablo Immortal, and I asked her if she realized that it was just a game rather than something important. That earned me several dozen down-votes. Ha ha!

#47 Posted by Zaryia (6719 posts) -

It's justified.

Diablo is a huge gaming series. It has a huge fanbase.

People wanted Diablo4. Or at the very least an expansion. Not a mobile rehash.

#48 Posted by dxmcat (2467 posts) -

Blizzard trying to play the victim card like all of their skill-less OW players with their safe space.

#49 Edited by mazuiface (667 posts) -

If it was not announced at blizzcon and online instead, people wouldn't have been upset I think.

#50 Posted by Jag85 (12408 posts) -

You can't really blame Blizzard for wanting a piece of the mobile pie. Mobile gaming is the largest sector of the global video game industry.