For those upgrading GPUs this Christmas Season, are you going AMD or anti consumer Nvidia?

• 63 results
#51 Posted by topgunmv (10765 posts) -

People are free to buy whatever they want with their money, but I also don't get the bragging about paying so much for such little improvement over the 10 series.

#52 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (24731 posts) -
@dagubot said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@bigfootpart2 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@bigfootpart2 said:

You bought the wrong monitor. Ultrawides and 4K are a bad idea until cards get much more powerful. 2560x1440 is the sweet spot right now.

@BassMan Now he's telling us what monitors to buy. Hilarious.

You bought a monitor that is ridiculously hard to drive and ends up with black bars on the sides in a lot of stuff not designed for ultrawides. Then you bought a stupidly overpriced video card. You wasted a ton of money with poor buying decisions.

You do realize almost every single game supports ultrawide now-a-days, right? There were 2 games that didn't recently. 2. Monster Hunter World, and Fallout 76, although apparently, Fallout 76 might be getting it.

Every single other game that has come out recently or is out supports it, especially first person shooters where it matters. Ring of Elysium, PUBG, Hunt: Showdown, BF5, Black Ops 4, Hitman 2, Witcher 3, every Tomb Raider game, World War 3, Insurgency Sandstorm, Rainbow Six Siege, AC Odyssey, AC Origins, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Far Cry 5, Far Cry 4, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Shadow of War, Arkham Knight, Final Fantasy 15, Fallout 4 with mods, Skyrim with mods, and the list goes on and on and on. Not only that, but Flawless widescreen is an application that adds ultrawide support to many older games that don't support it.

Yes, I "wasted" a ton of money that I bought from working a J O B. Know what else I wasted my money on? A 9900k with a tricked out RGB case to go along with everything.

And you know what? I'd do it all over again if I had to. :P

Take your sour grapes to another patch, because they aren't effective here. Lol

Fallout 76 did state 21:9 is coming but at a later date; the only issue is no FOV change...lol.

Nice upgrades man!

I'm about to go ahead and upgrade my PC as well and pick up a 2080 Ti & i9-9900K as well! Probably sell the Xbox One X...it was cool playing and testing the waters with Red Dead Redemption 2 but damn it would be so much better on PC...I'm stupid for outright buying the Xbox One X to play this. I don't even want to progress further in the game and rather just wait for the PC version. Should have listened to @R4gn4r0k when he warned me...lmao.

I am waiting on the PC version as well! And you'll love it, man. The 9900k/2080 Ti is just beastly.

#53 Posted by uninspiredcup (29220 posts) -

Be buying a laptop with nvidia, mainly because nvidia has superior support.

#54 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29526 posts) -

@dagubot: I was close to buying an Xbox One X myself, the Forza bundle was pretty cheap and it included the two most recent Forza games.

I was even debating buying RDR 2 for it. But the cost wouldn't have added up for me. I'd be buying another console I'd barely use anyway.

#55 Posted by xantufrog (10094 posts) -

I'm not upgrading, but yeah - if I was I'd be looking for an AMD card at this point.

We'll see what the battleground looks like in another couple of years when I do decide to go for it.

#56 Posted by DaVillain- (33027 posts) -

Oops, I almost forgot to contribute this thread.

I have a GTX 1080Ti, it's all I really need for gaming in heavy settings for 1440p, so no point in me spending more cash on RTX 20XX series anytime soon. But however, I will be upgrading my CPU to Ryzen 7: 2700X at the end of this year for multitasking benefits and love the way AMD really step up to the CPU so Ryzen 2700X it is.

#57 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10231 posts) -

I qon't get a new GPU since I bought a Aorus 1080 Ti last Christmas. If I would buy a new card, it would be another nVidia.

#58 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1518 posts) -

Until AMD are actually competitive I will be buying "anti consumer" Nvidia, that is the bottom line of it all.

And lets be honest with ourselves, the only reason AMD charges less and doesn't enforce any of thier own standards is not because "they are the good guys" its because they can't keep up and need to sell as much as possible... if the tables were turned, it would be the same old story.

So yea? Why would I settle for second best? I'm not on a tight budget, and I'm not one of those "buh buh company B cares about me when they are losing" suckers.

#59 Posted by XVision84 (14469 posts) -

RTX 2080. Going to be a hell of a jump from a 960.

Can't see myself going with AMD.

#60 Posted by BassMan (9442 posts) -

@XVision84 said:

Damn, that 2080 will destroy your 960. There is no comparison. Will you be using a high refresh rate monitor or 4K screen to take advantage of that bad boy?

#61 Posted by XVision84 (14469 posts) -
@BassMan said:
@XVision84 said:

Damn, that 2080 will destroy your 960. There is no comparison. Will you be using a high refresh rate monitor or 4K screen to take advantage of that bad boy?

1440p 144hz monitor, will be fun for sure :).

#62 Posted by BassMan (9442 posts) -

@XVision84 said:
@BassMan said:
@XVision84 said:

1440p 144hz monitor, will be fun for sure :).

Good stuff.

#63 Posted by mobius_basic (550 posts) -

I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a new card since the RTX was launched but I just can't seem to do it. Had one in my cart a few times and went...nah, then closed the browser. With the crazy prices and the Ti's dying (the only one I want) I think I am going to sit this round out and hope the 7nm's are around the corner. I still have My MSI 1080 Gaming X chugging along @2.1/500 with a full coverage EK waterblock. It's good for driving my current monitor LG 34" curved 3440x1440 but man I have this little devil on my shoulder saying do it, do it! :)

Maybe I'll update my CPU/Mobo instead for Xmas. I'm on a 6700k w/ a ROG impact (I love building powerful water cooled micro's in open air cases). Congrats to those that do have the newer cards and CPU's....so jelly!