Do you think next gen will look like this?

• 72 results
#1 Edited by warmblur (1121 posts) -

This is probably the closest photo realistic face I've seen besides that unreal engine 4 demo from earlier this year. It's not perfect of course the eyes are a bit dead but still holy shit. Can you imagine future games looking this good? do you think we will achieve these graphics next gen?

#2 Posted by enzyme36 (3821 posts) -

I dont want a game that looks like that... developers will blow their budget on animation and polish and forget to add gameplay and fun.

#3 Posted by Phreek300 (632 posts) -

No, not quite that good. It will be close though. At least on the character models.

#4 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8232 posts) -

No, it'll probably look a bit better than we have now. If the Xbone is like 1060, maybe next gen will be like a 1070.

#5 Posted by VFighter (4040 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet: Yeah...you're kinda way off.

#6 Posted by Telekill (8145 posts) -

I'm guessing the gen after next it will look closer to that.

#7 Posted by shellcase86 (4115 posts) -

Naivety is at hand.

#8 Posted by DaVillain- (33036 posts) -

I hope not.

#9 Posted by Vaeh (279 posts) -

Last of Lesbian V looks real-life like on PC. RIP consoles. One more generation before the streaming takes over.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
#10 Edited by Blueberry_Bandit (860 posts) -

It's hard to tell, but it will be close if we're talking character models in a linear game without much going on. The more interesting question is whether VR avatars will look like that with all your expressions tracked to which I'd say it will be close towards the end of the generation.

@HalcyonScarlet said:

No, it'll probably look a bit better than we have now. If the Xbone is like 1060, maybe next gen will be like a 1070.

No chance. Sony / Microsoft will not release a console with that small of a difference.

#11 Edited by dzimm (5074 posts) -

Wow, that video is creepy. Chick lives deep in the Uncanny Valley.

But to answer your question, it will eventually be technically possible for games to achieve 100% photo-realism, but then they'll probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars to develop even for a 5-hour game, and customers will be asked for $100 or more for the privilege of playing it. Most likely you'll end up with some "interactive movie" BS like Heavy Rain, or whatever it was called.

#12 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8232 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@blueberry_bandit said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

No chance. Sony / Microsoft will not release a console with that small of a difference.

Yeah, I'm just not holding my breath any more. If you think it's going to be massive, you may be in for a surprise. Especially since they'll be aiming for around £350.

After 8 years of the Xbox 360 and PS3, the Xbone and PS4 is what we got. With the PS4 basically matching the GTX 750 Ti.

We'll see whose right, hopefully you guys are. The XXbone was a mid gen upgrade and MS could afford to sell that at £430+. But they launched the original Xbone at £430 and got spanked, so neither MS or Sony will go there.

#13 Posted by NamelessGamer (1 posts) -

I agree,I want a game to look and feel like a game.

#14 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1518 posts) -

Why do you think next gen would be that kind of jump?

#15 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (2805 posts) -

Tech demo's don't take into account many other things going on in an actual game. It'll be a couple generations or so before we get hardware capable of handling an actual game that can do graphics like that although we may see it's use in cinema scenes and very linear movie like games.

#16 Posted by DocSanchez (4923 posts) -

Are we talking about proper next gen or Nintendo next gen?

#17 Edited by DaVillain- (33036 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:

Not on next-gen consoles that's for sure.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
#18 Edited by Blueberry_Bandit (860 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@vfighter said:

@blueberry_bandit said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Yeah, I'm just not holding my breath any more. If you think it's going to be massive, you may be in for a surprise. Especially since they'll be aiming for around £350.

After 8 years of the Xbox 360 and PS3, the Xbone and PS4 is what we got. With the PS4 basically matching the GTX 750 Ti.

We'll see whose right, hopefully you guys are. The XXbone was a mid gen upgrade and MS could afford to sell that at £430+. But they launched the original Xbone at £430 and got spanked, so neither MS or Sony will go there.

It won't be massive, but it will be close to twice the power of an Xbox One X. CPU will see some decent improvements too.

#19 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42411 posts) -

I would be happy with the tech demo of Unreal Engine 4 (aka the famous one with Andy Serkis) for next-gen, real-time encounters. Playing an RPG with that level of character detail, animation, and genuine human emotions/expressions would be incredibly immersive.

What I'd really love to see is a remaster of Mass Effect 1-3 with this tech; interacting with people, talking to them, etc all recorded with either actual actors re-acting the existing parts, or some sort of algorithm (or whatever they do, I don't know how it works :P ) like they did in The Witcher 3, which imo had pretty damn realistic interactions.

I feel like Ninja Theory sort of set the bar with Hellblade as far as animations (and even attention to detail), so we all know what developers can be capable of if they actually put in some effort. The tech demo is sort of what we have to look forward to as far as detail.

@enzyme36 said:

I dont want a game that looks like that... developers will blow their budget on animation and polish and forget to add gameplay and fun.

and, at the same time, the animations and polish will still look artificial. I watched that video @warmblur posted--don't get me wrong it looks cool--and it just looks more Uncanny Valley-esque than anything I've seen. I also noticed an unreasonable amount of blur, and "too real" animation (maybe because it was shot at more than 30 fps, hey looking at you Peter Jackson) that made it look fake.

I mean the attention to detail on the actual character is incredible, and if it was a still render I might be tricked, but when animated? Fake.

#20 Posted by That_Old_Guy (674 posts) -

Ladies and gentlemen...The Valley.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#21 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (3295 posts) -

On next gen?! BWAHAHAHA!

#22 Posted by rzxv04 (284 posts) -

That looks good but I doubt it. Maybe just a few notches below that between the best looking real time 3D scene today.

I think we'll have really good skin shaders next gen.

#23 Posted by Sevenizz (2222 posts) -

I wonder if the OP is aware that most cutscenes are FMVs that have nothing to do with a console’s capeabilities but to playback a video.

#24 Posted by warmblur (1121 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

I wonder if the OP is aware that most cutscenes are FMVs that have nothing to do with a console’s capeabilities but to playback a video.

I'm not aware of capeabilities never heard of them.

#25 Posted by Vaidream45 (1443 posts) -

Next gen graphics will be nothing special. Just play a new game on pc and that’s what the next gen consoles will look like. Just a slight upgrade with major 4k focus that sadly will leave games playing 4k 30fps. I can only hope next gen consoles will give a 4k/1080 switchable option so we can play games at 60fps even if that means it’s only in 1080. Performance and fun should come first. Resolution second. IMO.

#26 Edited by kenshiro3948 (390 posts) -

I'd say next gen games will look like current PC games this gen. Play something like Star Citizen to get a look at what next gen games will offer. The game's not launching till next gen anyway so it already gives you an idea of what to expect from games graphics wise next gen.

Loading Video...

#27 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10231 posts) -

@kenshiro3948: I'd be surprised if next gen consoles can handle a maxed Star Citizen. Considering how week the hardware this gen was and how well it did anyways, there's no need for Sony and Ms to go full in with actual decent hardware. I'd be surprised if their systems would be much better than a 1080.

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (29223 posts) -

Don't want photo-realistic faces, can just look out the window. Games are more comparable to cartoons.

Look at the differences between the classic DMC games and that monstrosity Capcom revealed.

Real people are ugly bastards, playing video games gets you away from being forced to look at them.

#29 Posted by VFighter (4040 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Except she looks a lot better in the new game, which makes your argument invalid.

#30 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29529 posts) -

I want more unrealstic anthropomorphic animal characters, I want less realistic looking humans.

Back when graphics weren't so advanced it seemed like everyone was going for anthropomorphic animal main characters.

#31 Posted by knight-k (2171 posts) -

@vaeh said:

Last of Lesbian V looks real-life like on PC. RIP consoles. One more generation before the streaming takes over.

Lol, hope you get RDR2 on PC by then.

#32 Edited by rzxv04 (284 posts) -

@kenshiro3948 said:

I'd say next gen games will look like current PC games this gen. Play something like Star Citizen to get a look at what next gen games will offer. The game's not launching till next gen anyway so it already gives you an idea of what to expect from games graphics wise next gen.

Loading Video...

For scenes that mostly render one or two faces, close up, think TLoU 2 gameplay trailer cutscenes, I expect better graphics for next gen exclusives than what SC is offering in that trailer specially for skin shading but maybe we'll have regular mooks in games like Last of Us 2, Ryse, GoTsu look very close to Nathan Drake's model.

SC looks better than current gen though, specially the density of hair though.

PS4 (maybe bullshots of high res but shaders should be the same). We currently have these kinds of models on a 1.8 TFLOP GPU for at the very least, realtime cutscene models. I'd imagine a 12 TFLOP machine that stays at 30 fps with console optimization will have a higher leap than that SC footage.

Current use of X (6 TFLOP) and Pro (4.2) machines are more for upscaling than being the groundwork and base design of models.

I think we'd be closer to this than SC model for skin shading, not necessarily aliasing:

Loading Video...

Again, mostly for scenes that only render 1-2 faces and about 1/4 to 1/5 of the screen.

#33 Posted by Gatygun (1297 posts) -
@enzyme36 said:

Perfect for sony then i guess.

#34 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

Yeah, consoles are gonna shred Pee Seas next gen making them Saltier than ever. lol :P

#35 Posted by PSP107 (17284 posts) -

@enzyme36: "developers will blow their budget on animation and polish and forget to add gameplay and fun."

They already do =(

Gameplay has been a lost element in gaming development the last 10 years.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#36 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27401 posts) -

I'm more concerned with how a game plays than how it looks.

#37 Posted by knight-k (2171 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

Yeah, consoles are gonna shred Pee Seas next gen making them Saltier than ever. lol :P

The Pee Sea peasant beggar raze will still cry about not being able to play RDR 2 on their pee sea.

#38 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27401 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@enzyme36: "developers will blow their budget on animation and polish and forget to add gameplay and fun."

They already do =(

Gameplay has been a lost element in gaming development the last 10 years.

There will be plenty of money left over to add white paint streaks to tell gamers where to go, and auto jumping and easy platforming. Don't worry.

(btw, if you like gameplay I recommend Nintendo.)

#39 Posted by PAL360 (29327 posts) -

Honestly yes. Character models in some current gen games (U4, Detroit, RDR2, Battlefield, etc) doesn't look much worse than that. I do believe the models in this vid are exactly what we should expect next gen.

#40 Posted by PSP107 (17284 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: "(btw, if you like gameplay I recommend Nintendo.)"

NES/SNES (in some cases N64)>>>>>>360/PS3/Wii/WiiU/PS4/Xone/Switch.

#41 Posted by scatteh316 (9953 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Not on next-gen consoles that's for sure.

And as a result of consoles dictating what PC graphics are you won't get that jump on PC either.

Unless some magical, super rich developer decides to do the most unlikely thing and make a true PC exclusive.

#42 Edited by scatteh316 (9953 posts) -

There's better then that now and the animation in that video is f'kin horrid.

#43 Posted by PAL360 (29327 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

Nostalgia, the usual suspect.

Nothing better than play games at 6fps, like Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country and many other N64 games. I'm also a huge fan of the 8 and 16bit eras, but i'm aware that we have much better and more polished games now, both AAA and indie.

Gaming is much better now that it used to be in the past, and it's not even close. It's a shame so many people have a hard time to realise that.

#44 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27401 posts) -

@PAL360 said:
@PSP107 said:

Nothing better than play games at 6fps, like Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country and many other N64 games. I'm also a huge fan of the 8 and 16bit eras, but i'm aware that we have much better and more polished games now, both AAA and indie.

Gaming is much better now that it used to be in the past, and it's not even close. It's a shame so many people have a hard time to realise that.

I think Nindies are providing some of the best gameplay in the business right now.

#45 Posted by PAL360 (29327 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@PAL360 said:
@PSP107 said:

I think Nindies are providing some of the best gameplay in the business right now.

There are so many indie gems this gen (on every platform), it's ridiculous!

We have never had as many genres and sub-genres as we have now, and thanks to indies, we also have the experimentation of the early days back to relevance. That's why i laugh when people pretend that mainstream AAAs are all available. Buying the 'wrong' games when there are so much more, is clearly their faul.

#46 Posted by conkertheking1 (872 posts) -

For it to be worth the effort, they would need enough cutscenes in the game to scare off anyone but the most diehard PS gamers.

#47 Posted by PSP107 (17284 posts) -

@PAL360: "Nostalgia, the usual suspect."

Nostalgia I think not. Games back then concentrated more on gameplay design. These days it seems publishers/developers are competing for best motion picture.

But if you're going to bring up nostalgia, I"ll argue you're just caught in the moment. I mean this comment made no sense

"Nothing better than play games at 6fps, like Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country "

Personally I'll still take those games over today's games but you're judging old games based on current standards. How did you feel when you 1st played those games?

GTA San Anderas (2004) was a classic back then but wouldn't get high praise if reviewed today.

#48 Posted by I_P_Daily (9468 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

Where have you been since this gen started as Sony's been doing that all gen.

#49 Posted by Zaryia (6719 posts) -

IWHI

#50 Edited by PC_Rocks (1439 posts) -

@vfighter said:

How?

PS4 - the most powerful console in 2013 was an equivalent of 570 from 2010

PS4 Pro - released in 2016 was still weaker than 970 from 2014

X1X - released in 2017 was barely faster than 970 from 2014 and weaker than 1060

Any console coming in 2020 will match 1070Ti at best regardless of how many AMD's TFLOPS it has and the history will again repeat it self.

On topic, not good. I liked when character graphics were 'gamey' the more realistic they are trying to get the more 'bad' it looks and feel may be because of the uncanny valley.