Anyone that went 360 to PS4....did RROD play a huge part in that.

• 157 results
#101 Edited by xantufrog (10346 posts) -

@tormentos: @Pedro:

Well, I found direct proof:

http://www.playstation.com/manual/pdf/SCPH-39001.pdf

PDF of SCPH-30000 series US manual

#102 Posted by Pedro (32706 posts) -

@xantufrog: Well well well. Now that is a headshot counter.­čśü

#103 Edited by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@Steppy_76 said:

@tormentos: you linked to the warranty for the 70000 series... the slimline.... my links were for the 50000 series the last of the fat models. You are wrong. Shows how long Sony took to even extend the warranty to a year. A lesson in reality from a supposed "alt". I think the one year warranty was a result of the lawsuit about the dre. Btw the xbox got dde's short for dirty disc error message that popped up on the xbox. Dre was short for disc read error which is what a ps2 would pop up on the screen.

The following are copies of the Limited Warranty for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system (SCPH-70000 Series) respectively, along with those for SCEI manufactured peripherals and software.

On the very fu**ing top of the page..Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

PS2 ^^^ warranty PS2 7000 vvvvv.

LIMITED WARRANTY FOR THE PLAYSTATION 2 (SCPH-70000 SERIES) COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

PS2 7000 ^^^ warranty.

You officially earned the last own of the year award for not reading the link i posted is about both warranties and include all models slim or fat.

@Pedro said:
@Steppy_76 said:

@tormentos: proven wrong and ran away from the thread huh?

Don't worry, he will return but twist it to indicate he was right.

He is a moron that can't read and you well you are you nothing more to add.lol

The link is for all models the moron simply can't read..Hahahahahaa

I pointed out to YOU that it was the warranty that was available after the slimlines came out that came out on Sony's website sometime after the events we were talking about. I posted a link to the actual manual that came with the 50000 series, and Xantu has since posted a manual for the 30000 series, both of which show you were wrong and couldn't comprehend that we were talking about a timeframe in the PAST prior to the release of the 70000 series. I also further pointed out that I believed the one year warranty was a response to settling the lawsuit sony was facing about the DRE's.(They settled so they didn't have to admit wrongdoing so that idiots like yourself will claim they did nothing when looking back 10-15 years later).

It is so funny that YOU called people morons for not reading, when YOU are the "moron" who can't read or understand that links shown for the correct timeframe we were talking about PROVE you to be wrong. Enjoy serving yourself the "last own of the year"...it couldn't happen to a more condescending jackass.

#104 Posted by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@Steppy_76 said:

@tormentos: proven wrong and ran away from the thread huh?

The following are copies of the Limited Warranty for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system (SCPH-70000 Series) respectively, along with those for SCEI manufactured peripherals and software.

Just to spike the ball..lol

Playstation 2 and playstation 2 7000 both name separate and each has its own warranty read..Hahaha..

Keep digging, you are making yourself look stupid, as well as showing EVERYONE that we were correct in stating you would try to twist this to show you were right, when you are so very clearly wrong. You'll probably now say that you were never arguing the warranty was always one year. That "spike" hit the net and smacked you right in the face.

#105 Posted by Pedro (32706 posts) -

I looking forward to the counter to @xantufrog from @tormentos

#106 Posted by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@Pedro: I suspect it'll never come...I figure he'll avoid this thread like the plague rather than admit he was wrong.

#107 Edited by SecretPolice (34325 posts) -

Got my first 360 in early 2006 and never got RRoD.

Later put that one on my boat and got a 360S for home. Now with my 360S on the boat, that OG 360 is just sitting around in my basement but it still works fine. :P

#108 Posted by kingtito (10047 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@kingtito said:

@tormentos: The reading comprehension bug bites you again el tormented. Never said YLOD was as big as DRE or RROD but it was an issue and people still purchased PS consoles. The point, since it's obvious I have to spell everything out for you, people will purchase which ever console they want whether the previous ones had issues or not. It's really not much of a factor when someone chooses to buy a particular one.

Why would I pay for a 2nd 360 when MS warrantied the ones that died? I got my 1st one back in 7 days. The 2nd was a different story. Unlike you, since I owned consoles, I had other things to do besides sit at home and play games all day long. When I did I was playing Wow with my girlfriend(now wife) and friends from work. Once again, unlike you, I had a capable gaming PC so if my console wasn't around and I just had to game, I had my PC. Sorry to disappoint el tormented, but I only had to purchase the 1 360. Didn't buy another MS console until the X1 launched.

Sucks to be you

My god dude get a freaking spine.

Because your warranty wasn't eternal and even if you got a shinny new 360 when you were service that one was destine to fail as well and you didn't get 3 new years of warranty,in fact you claimed falsely that you were service out of warranty for free when you were trying to imply that the warranty didn't run out.

So yeah i am 100% sure that you are lying to defend MS and downplay sony and that you buy another xbox 360 if not more.

@kingtito said:

Not surprising, I wouldn't think you'd have many friends or many friends with 360s. Gamers hang out and are friends with other gamers and it's clear you're not nor did you own a 360.

There are people here who know i owned a 360 in fact some lemmings KNOW it.lol

So once again predictable as ever you hide on the Tormy you don't have a console act is pathetic.

Learn reading comprehension.

Don't recall ever saying it was el tormented. What I do know is my 360 was warrantied twice. My 3rd never experienced the RROD so bought a 360 once and never had to pay for a repair or buy a replacement.

So the supposed 54% fail rate is now 100%? How does it feel knowing after sending back my 360 for the 2nd time my 3rd never experienced the RROD? I'm guessing it makes you feel pretty stupid.

When did I claim I got serviced out of warranty? When I sent my 360s in they were under warranty not out of warranty. Reading comprehension strikes again. That means I didn't have to pay a single dime for the warranty repair and what's ever better is the fact I got it back in a week. 7 days from the time I called to the time I got my replacement back. Stings doesn't it el tormented.

The only thing 100% sure is that you can't understand what you read. That and you never owned a 360 or any current gen console. It's who you are.

Maury called and said the results are in, you claimed people know you had a 360, he said that was a lie. You didn't own a 360 and those that have been here long enough know that to be a fact.

No el tormented, what's predictable is you lacking the the ability to understand what you read as well as you not owning current gen consoles. Kind of makes you pathetic

#109 Posted by kingtito (10047 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

Holy fvckin shit, dude. You take this shit so seriously. That's like a term paper.

'tito I don't agree with you. RROD was a more widespread issue. I do agree MS handled it better than Sony, who had to be sued to accept responsibility with DRE.

In the end, who fvckin cares? Both are in the past.

That's why I said in my experience since having to pay to replace my console is far worse than having it done under warranty. Everyone one that I know had to buy a replacement PS2 at some point. It might not have been as widespread but at least the 360s were replaced under warranty and if you paid, MS at least reimbursed you.

My point wasn't really to argue which was worse but to point out that even with console failures from both parties, people still bought their next iteration of them. I don't think the failure rates has much to do with whether or not someone purchased future consoles. It might play a small part but not big enough to deter anyone.

#110 Posted by cainetao11 (35971 posts) -

@kingtito: fair enough. I saw how tormy answered with his $25 fix but as he tells me when I simply use my experience in my posts, thatÔÇÖs irrelevant. Sony still has to lose a lawsuit to do the honorable thing and admit their wrong.

#111 Posted by Zappat (1596 posts) -
@cainetao11 said:

@kingtito: fair enough. I saw how tormy answered with his $25 fix but as he tells me when I simply use my experience in my posts, thatÔÇÖs irrelevant. Sony still has to lose a lawsuit to do the honorable thing and admit their wrong.

MS was also sued for the 360, twice

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/lawsuit-over-50-of-initial-xbox-360s-defective-476252

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/21/9009077/xbox-360-disc-scratching-lawsuit-class-action

#112 Posted by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@zappat: and they extended the warranty and took a billion dollar loss. Sony settled and never admitted anything was wrong and merely gave the us the same one year warranty everyone else already had. Similar scenarios yet one was handled in a much better pro consumer based manner.

#113 Posted by Zappat (1596 posts) -
@Steppy_76 said:

@zappat: and they extended the warranty and took a billion dollar loss. Sony settled and never admitted anything was wrong and merely gave the us the same one year warranty everyone else already had. Similar scenarios yet one was handled in a much better pro consumer based manner.

Still you guys were criticizing Sony for being sued, well MS was also sued. The settlement made by Sony actually could be used by any affected user and included $25, a free game and a cheap repair or replacement. Still the RROD was more prominent with over 50% of the units affected and happened much earlier. The DRE was not as prominent and usually happened later in life of the console. That's why MS solution had to be more drastic. See how MS didn't apply the same drastic solution to a more common regular problem like disc scratching.

#114 Posted by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@zappat: no people were saying the "dre" was normal and uncommon. Both of those are untrue. Everybody I know had to replace their ps2 within 1 to 3 years. I think it was close to Rrod levels it just didn't happen as quickly and the internet wasn't as pervasive at the time.

#115 Posted by Zappat (1596 posts) -
@Steppy_76 said:

@zappat: no people were saying the "dre" was normal and uncommon. Both of those are untrue. Everybody I know had to replace their ps2 within 1 to 3 years. I think it was close to Rrod levels it just didn't happen as quickly and the internet wasn't as pervasive at the time.

Again lemmings and their "anecdotes". I had a PS2 that never broke also friends with PS2s that never broke, so? now it is my anecdotes against yours... Anecdotes don't mean shit unless you have statistics. "I think" doesn't work here. We actually have statistics for RROD because it was so common and happened so early in the lifetime of the machine, if you want to get the statistics for the PS2 DRE go ahead but you probably won't find them because the problems was not so extreme as the RROD.

#116 Posted by xantufrog (10346 posts) -

@Steppy_76: well, now you know someone who didn't have to :-P

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#117 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (7091 posts) -

I got a couple of RRODs with the xbox, but at the same time I got a YLOD for my ps3 after an update. So yeah, both systems were garbage. Even my gamecube croaked after 3 or so years.

#118 Edited by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@zappat: we have the anecdotal evidence that sony was sued and chose to settle vs. Fighting in court. That's a little more persuasive than your obvious biased opinion. RROD came about with a nifty little indicator that recieved a catchy name at a time when the internet was much more widespread and mainstream it also happened quicker. Since Sony settled there won't be any links.

#119 Posted by Yams1980 (3137 posts) -

I had RROD on my original launch 360. Luckily warranty from the store I bought it at was still active and they replaced it. But if I hadn't gotten a replacement I would never had got an xbox again.

Warranty is everything, if you don't back up your product you deserve to die.

That replacement worked good since. You know a bad company when u see them backtrack on a promise like a warranty, OCZ did this when I had an SSD fail, they are gone now. You can only abuse your customers for so long and then they will ditch you when they get the chance.

Thats also a warning for Nvidia, you abused gamers for several years now, loyalty must go both ways and you have shown none to gamers.

#120 Edited by Zappat (1596 posts) -
@Steppy_76 said:

@zappat: we have the anecdotal evidence that sony was sued and chose to settle vs. Fighting in court. That's a little more persuasive than your obvious biased opinion. RROD came about with a nifty little indicator that recieved a catchy name at a time when the internet was much more widespread and mainstream it also happened quicker. Since Sony settled there won't be any links.

The lawsuit is not anecdotal evidence, that actually happened and you can get sources to confirm it happened unlike anecdotal evidence which relies entirely on taking the word from a person, in this case a lemming with anecdotal evidence against Sony. How surprising! What I don't find surprising is that you're clueless about types of evidence though, it seems you're not very educated on the subject which explains your lack of ability to debate with real actual evidence.

For example, what does settling have to do with having or not statistical evidence on the failure rate? We have statistical data on PS4 and X1 failure rates and that's without even a lawsuit. And having settling on a lawsuit still doesn't say anything about the failure rate of the console. The console sold 158 million units, if the failure rate was as high as 50% Sony would have been broke probably. The 360 being above 50% was huge and was publicized everywhere for a reason, it is a ridiculous high number even for any particular device, not only consoles. If the PS2 had such big failure rates it would have been all over the place.

#121 Posted by Pedro (32706 posts) -

That sad 90 day warranty on the PS2. Its a shame that the person who claimed it was always 1 year is not here to defending his master.

#122 Posted by dark_drag765 (951 posts) -

I loved the 360 but when it started out it was horrible.

I got mine in 2007 and got RROD. However early models now are great since you can install to usb which reduces risk of rrod. You can get a early 360 for like twenty bucks which is a steal. Later 360s are so much better like night and day. I guess I am not hardcore enough to get disc read errors on my ps2 phat.

Then again the fact that I am an intermediate gamer and still got rrod after like a year of use says something. Again thank god for the usb update or those early 360s which are still loud playing off usb would be useless.

#123 Posted by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@zappat said:
@Steppy_76 said:

The lawsuit is not anecdotal evidence, that actually happened and you can get sources to confirm it happened unlike anecdotal evidence which relies entirely on taking the word from a person, in this case a lemming with anecdotal evidence against Sony. How surprising! What I don't find surprising is that you're clueless about types of evidence though, it seems you're not very educated on the subject which explains your lack of ability to debate with real actual evidence.

For example, what does settling have to do with having or not statistical evidence on the failure rate? We have statistical data on PS4 and X1 failure rates and that's without even a lawsuit. And having settling on a lawsuit still doesn't say anything about the failure rate of the console. The console sold 158 million units, if the failure rate was as high as 50% Sony would have been broke probably. The 360 being above 50% was huge and was publicized everywhere for a reason, it is a ridiculous high number even for any particular device, not only consoles. If the PS2 had such big failure rates it would have been all over the place.

The anecdotal evidence was being sued AND settling(judging from Sony past with lawsuits ie against immersion for their FF tech). If they didn't feel they were going to lose the case they would have fought it tooth and nail.

Did anybody ever say the failure rate of the PS2 was 50%, and for what portion of its lifespan? No, that's just you attempting to put words in to peoples mouth to fit your agenda.

You keep throwing around 50% failure rate for the 360, care to show some evidence that includes how long that 50% failure rate was there or do you want to act like the failure rate was that the entire time? I know I've seen cows throw around 50%, 60% 75%. Lets see some hard data to support YOUR claim as well. You are aware that those numbers thrown around are for the early model 360's and NOT the entire lifespan of the console.

I think you seem to forget the internet in the early 2000's was a VERY different place from the internet of today. We didn't have smart phones like today, not everybody had a camera, heck not everybody had internet. Had the DRE's happened 5 years later the outcry would have been MUCH louder IMO.

#124 Posted by Zappat (1596 posts) -

@Steppy_76: "The anecdotal evidence was being sued AND settling"

Lol dude, that's still not anecdotal evidence, that actually happened, there are records, news, etc of it.

"Did anybody ever say the failure rate of the PS2 was 50%"

So what is your argument then? My argument is that the RROD was worse, even if it was during a portion of its lifetime over 50% failure rate is ridiculously high and that's why MS damage control response was also so extreme in warranty terms. Since the PS2 never reached such failure numbers then Sony's response was more moderate but they still had to take responsibility for it. Just as MS response for disc scratching was really not so blunt as with RROD because the problem happened at a lesser rate. The thing is that you guys are trying to make MS look good while Sony bad for their responses when, from a business standpoint, both responses are equivalent to the seriousness of the problem.

#125 Posted by Pedro (32706 posts) -

@Steppy_76: You are wasting your time. ­čśÄ

#126 Edited by Zappat (1596 posts) -
@Pedro said:

@Steppy_76: You are wasting your time. ­čśÄ

It seems I got you triggered good since you're following me around in threads trying to warn your lemming handlers about the threat of me owning them like I owned you lol

If you're like Pedro and can't articulate an argument that goes beyond 5 words you certainly are wasting more than your time :)

#127 Edited by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@zappat: I don't worry about you owning me ever... pigs will fly before you own anybody anywhere other than in your delusions.

#128 Posted by Zappat (1596 posts) -

@Steppy_76: funny, again a lemming avoiding to debate and instead going all butthurt on me. Typical sign of ownage ;) but sure, buddy, live in denial if you like. :)

#129 Posted by tormentos (28186 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

He already posted that one.

Both link mine and his are from sony and both state different things one say 90 days the other clearly says 1 year.

I don't know if sony did a warranty extension or not.

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/warranties/ps2/

But you can clearly see it here.

@Steppy_76 said:

I pointed out to YOU that it was the warranty that was available after the slimlines came out that came out on Sony's website sometime after the events we were talking about. I posted a link to the actual manual that came with the 50000 series, and Xantu has since posted a manual for the 30000 series, both of which show you were wrong and couldn't comprehend that we were talking about a timeframe in the PAST prior to the release of the 70000 series. I also further pointed out that I believed the one year warranty was a response to settling the lawsuit sony was facing about the DRE's.(They settled so they didn't have to admit wrongdoing so that idiots like yourself will claim they did nothing when looking back 10-15 years later).

It is so funny that YOU called people morons for not reading, when YOU are the "moron" who can't read or understand that links shown for the correct timeframe we were talking about PROVE you to be wrong. Enjoy serving yourself the "last own of the year"...it couldn't happen to a more condescending jackass.

Learn to read period the warranty talk clearly about both models the fat and the 7000 series and you can clearly see it.

No you are the MORON.

That in bold clearly talk about both models period and my link is as valid as your since it is a SONY link not a link from a 3rd party site.

But the point still stand only blind biased lemmings would argue that RROD was worse than DRE which also affected xbox 360 by the way and the original xbox as DRE is common in system with optic laser eyes.

So not only your 360 have RROD + E74 which wasn't consider by MS to be RROD related it also had DRE as well like any other console with a disc drive.

The PS2 didn't have a 54% fail rate or more and you can't prove it did.

@Pedro said:

That sad 90 day warranty on the PS2. Its a shame that the person who claimed it was always 1 year is not here to defending his master.

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/warranties/ps2/

My link is from sony as well and clearly state one year.

Either way DRE wasn't even close to RROD and my PS2 crossed the 4 year mark without the problem which i could say that about my 360,by the way DRE was easily fix by a damn $25 dollar piece RROD no it could not be easily fix.

#130 Posted by TheEroica (18001 posts) -

I went 360 to ps4 as my primary consoles at home... I also got a red ring of death the night before gta4 came out (which turned into an omen because gta4 sucked)

The 360 is one of the best consoles I've ever played. I loved it and I'd buy another Xbox console that seemed that focuses in the game department.

I chose ps4 because of a couple reasons....

Don Mattricks xbox one was not a compelling device.

And two, I like switching consoles because in each generation it opens me up to games and franchises I haven't played yet... It actually peaks my gaming interest to switch it up.

Lastly... I don't game as much as I used to and really can't justify an Xbox one... I would absolutely get one if I had the time for ankther console worth of games to play.

#131 Edited by xantufrog (10346 posts) -

@tormentos: it's not up for debate, dude. You are posting the CURRENT web text, whereas we are referring to the original owners manuals that have been handily archived on the web.

I don't understand why you can't see the difference, and that your link clearly reflects the most up-to-date revision of the PS2 family warranty and not what it was in 2001.

If you want further proof, it is simple: look at the pdf for later models of ps2 or early models in some other regions. You'll see that number become 1 year.

But I will reiterate again - stop calling people morons. The fact that you are wrong doesn't change that, but it certainly makes the attack more glaring

#132 Posted by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@tormentos: you all want links showing the ps2 failure rate, let's see some official links for the rrod. Until then we have a situation where both companies were sued for faulty hardware. One extended the warranty and one settled without admitting wrongdoing. Without links you can't claim one is worse than the other.

#133 Edited by tormentos (28186 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:

@tormentos: you all want links showing the ps2 failure rate, let's see some official links for the rrod. Until then we have a situation where both companies were sued for faulty hardware. One extended the warranty and one settled without admitting wrongdoing. Without links you can't claim one is worse than the other.

Hahahaaa

Yeah because MS was OPEN enough to actually come clean with a number of units that fail.

They don't even tell how many units they have sold of the xbox one and grouped together the xbox and windows division so they could hide everything even remotely bad about the xbox brand and some how you think they would have a admit officially how many units fail.

Microsoft Responds to 54.2% Xbox 360 Failure Rate Claim, Doesn't Dispute It.

Remember the Game Informer survey that found that the Xbox 360 has a 54.2% failure rate? Well, Microsoft has responded, and it didn't even try to dispute that fact.

Microsoft stands behind the Xbox 360 as a superior entertainment console with one of the best warranties in the industry. We are constantly improving the design, manufacture and performance of the console through extensive testing of potential sources of any problems. Xbox 360 is pleased to maintain the title of 'most played console' and the vast majority of Xbox 360 customers have enjoyed a terrific gaming and entertainment experience since their first day, and continue to, day in and day out.

http://gizmodo.com/5344302/microsoft-responds-to-542-xbox-360-failure-rate-claim-doesnt-dispute-it

Please quote a site talking about PS2 fail rates.

The only reason why sony settle is because it was cheap to fix it and they would lose more actually fighting in court than repairing the unit.

The settlement was $25 dollars and 1 game to those who had the problems,didn't see sony posting a damn billion dollar loss on 2005 because of that settlement. And sony clearly stated that in settling they were not admitting that the hardware was bad but that it was easier for them to just settle and move on.

Lawsuit like that cost millions to companies.

Sony has made it clear that the company is not accepting any wrongdoing in agreeing to the settlement, telling US website GameSpot: "While we are convinced that there is no problem with these models and that we would win if we defended this case through trial, we have agreed to settle these lawsuits to avoid the extraordinary high cost of cumbersome class action litigation."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news101105ps2lawsuit

Sony settle they didn't lose and they made it clear.

But again find me how much sony spent on DRE mind you the PS2 sold almost double the amount of units the xbox 360 sold so 30% of 156 millions is some 48 million units while on 360 54% would have been some 46 million the amount of money on the PS2 side must be huge.

When MS announce 1+ billions in money to repair RROD you could instantly see it was a HUGE ass number of units that would be repair the xbox 360 should have never came out in 2005 like it did so that MS could beat sony to the market,they on purpose ignored the problems and deny it was big for almost 2 years until the problem could not be hid anymore.

In fact the xbox 360 actually failed before it even launch official,people who received free consoles before launch on a mountain dew contest were the first to actually reported dead units.

Hiding behind MS so call official number will not help you,that it as stupid as to claim that MS is not losing the console war because MS hasn't release an official number who knows maybe they have 80 million xbox one sold right?

#134 Posted by tormentos (28186 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@tormentos: it's not up for debate, dude. You are posting the CURRENT web text, whereas we are referring to the original owners manuals that have been handily archived on the web.

I don't understand why you can't see the difference, and that your link clearly reflects the most up-to-date revision of the PS2 family warranty and not what it was in 2001.

If you want further proof, it is simple: look at the pdf for later models of ps2 or early models in some other regions. You'll see that number become 1 year.

But I will reiterate again - stop calling people morons. The fact that you are wrong doesn't change that, but it certainly makes the attack more glaring

The PS2 didn't came in 2001 it came in 2000.

Second my link is official as well so you have 2 official links,my link also talk about both models not just one.

3rd even if the warranty was 3 months lest say it was for the sake of ending the argument there,still would not say anything as DRE was not something that would strike your console in 3 months.

Is sad because alto we both have official links,no link about the rate of fail units is present and no evidence whatsoever has been presented here that DRE was even remotely close to RROD,i think people who claim DRE was worse must at least back their shit up with something other than their biased opinion.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
#135 Edited by Messiahbolical- (5627 posts) -

RROD played a part in me switching from Gamecube/PS2 to PS3. I didn't have shit for money so I couldn't afford to take such a risk on my consoles breaking. Also the PS3 had Blu Ray and free online, which at the time were big deals for me. Most of my friends had Xbox 360s. I was the one who shined the light on all the great exclusive games they were missing out on by not having a PS3. and some of them enjoyed my exclusives so much they went out and bought one.

There wasn't a chance in hell I was going to switch from PS3 to Xbox One. The PS4 was cheaper, more powerful, had a better interface, had Sony's first party exclusive studios, didn't force dumb Kinect on you, actually worked with my gaming headset cause they didn't force dumb proprietary crap on you, and finally had great online features like Party Chat, etc.

#136 Posted by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@tormentos: you still don't get it.

Anyways here's a link to a forum thread from Sept 2003 that would seem to indicate had been a well known problem by then. Links from 15 years ago are hard to find.

http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?18874-PS2-failure-rate

#137 Edited by tormentos (28186 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:

Anyways here's a link to a forum thread from Sept 2003 that would seem to indicate had been a well known problem by then. Links from 15 years ago are hard to find.

Congratulation you just make yourself look like a fool again.

See what i am telling you @xantufrog i ask for proof and he link me to some dark site few know with a 2003 complain about DRE,now this is 100% irrefutable Proof that DRE was worse somehow.

Hey @Steppy_76.

Xbox with Thomson Drive

I finally found out what's wrong with my Xbox, which I had taken to a repair shop last week. The guy at the video game repair shop told me that I would need to replace my thomson drive. Question: does anyone here knows if the original Thomson hard drive could be replaced with another kind of hard drive, like a samsung? Coz, he told me that he has to replace it with a new Thomson hard drive and apparently, can't be replaced by another kind of hard drive. Is this true? Just don't see it fitting to pay $80.00 CDN to get it fixed, what with the fragile reputation of the Thomson hard drive and then to see it broken again down the road. I bought this at Best Buy sometime ago last year and I hardly think the system's a year old. I wish their was a way I could replace it with another kind of hard drive that's a bit more durable. Would appreciate to hear from peeps out there who's been through the same frustration...

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?60238-Xbox-with-Thomson-Drive

Just saying dude.

Your evidence is nothing.

So yeah RROD was far worse DRE didn't happen in 3 months and sony settle a lawsuit because it was cheaper for them to do so that to spent millions upon millions in court.

And unlike MS they did not set aside 1+ billion for repairs.

Let's say a repair cost MS $100 which i sure it did not it would cost far less.

That means MS billion was set to cover 10 million units,now MS had some 40 million xbox 360 sold by the time the xbox one slim model arrived in June 2010.

The xbox 360 slim is not part of MS RROD warranty only fat models were.

So that means that at $100 dollars per repair they set aside money for 10 million units when some 44 or so millions fat models were manufacture,which dude that is basically 1 out of every 4 360 would fail almost 25% fail rate and i am been modest because i know it didn't cost MS in 2007 $100 dollars to repair a 360,part of the reason MS hold up the extension until 2007 was because it was cheaper to produce a 360 or repair it in 2007 than on 2005.

So yeah i am sure RROD was worse.

#138 Posted by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Congratulation you just make yourself look like a fool again.

See what i am telling you @xantufrog i ask for proof and he link me to some dark site few know with a 2003 complain about DRE,now this is 100% irrefutable Proof that DRE was worse somehow.

Hey @Steppy_76.

Xbox with Thomson Drive

I finally found out what's wrong with my Xbox, which I had taken to a repair shop last week. The guy at the video game repair shop told me that I would need to replace my thomson drive. Question: does anyone here knows if the original Thomson hard drive could be replaced with another kind of hard drive, like a samsung? Coz, he told me that he has to replace it with a new Thomson hard drive and apparently, can't be replaced by another kind of hard drive. Is this true? Just don't see it fitting to pay $80.00 CDN to get it fixed, what with the fragile reputation of the Thomson hard drive and then to see it broken again down the road. I bought this at Best Buy sometime ago last year and I hardly think the system's a year old. I wish their was a way I could replace it with another kind of hard drive that's a bit more durable. Would appreciate to hear from peeps out there who's been through the same frustration...

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?60238-Xbox-with-Thomson-Drive

Just saying dude.

Your evidence is nothing.

So yeah RROD was far worse DRE didn't happen in 3 months and sony settle a lawsuit because it was cheaper for them to do so that to spent millions upon millions in court.

And unlike MS they did not set aside 1+ billion for repairs.

Let's say a repair cost MS $100 which i sure it did not it would cost far less.

That means MS billion was set to cover 10 million units,now MS had some 40 million xbox 360 sold by the time the xbox one slim model arrived in June 2010.

The xbox 360 slim is not part of MS RROD warranty only fat models were.

So that means that at $100 dollars per repair they set aside money for 10 million units when some 44 or so millions fat models were manufacture,which dude that is basically 1 out of every 4 360 would fail almost 25% fail rate and i am been modest because i know it didn't cost MS in 2007 $100 dollars to repair a 360,part of the reason MS hold up the extension until 2007 was because it was cheaper to produce a 360 or repair it in 2007 than on 2005.

So yeah i am sure RROD was worse.

If our conjecture isn't proof, neither is yours. I notice you didn't mention the warranty. Did you get that one through your thick skull finally?

#139 Posted by Pedro (32706 posts) -

But the warranty claim being 1 year was destroyed yet he has not conceded.

#140 Edited by danjammer69 (4305 posts) -

I guess I am one of the lucky ones?

My PS2 suffered DRE right out of the box, brand new. Which really sucked, because I won it in a contest from my job.

My original Fat launch PS3 got YLOD. Replacement 60GB fatty is still going strong.

My original PS4 suffered a full failure and wouldn't even turn on. Thankfully was under warranty and the replacement has been perfect.

I have never owned an Xbox, but my son has an Xbox One that no longer reads discs.

#141 Posted by Pedro (32706 posts) -

@tormentos

On the very fu**ing top of the page..Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

@xantufrog said:

#142 Posted by tormentos (28186 posts) -

@Pedro said:

I don't get it.

Both my link and Xantufrog are from sony.

And second already Steppy_76 posted that,didn't stop my argument.

My link is 100% valid from sony,but i already stated that for sake of ending the argument lets assume the warranty was 3 months still would not change anything as steppy,you or anyone here have a link validating that DRE was even close to RROD,worse DRE also affected the original xbox as well as the xbox 360.

@Steppy_76 said:

If our conjecture isn't proof, neither is yours. I notice you didn't mention the warranty. Did you get that one through your thick skull finally?

This is simply you think DRE was worse BACK IT UP.

MS set aside 1+ billion for repairs point me to where sony did the same.

By the way the link i posted showed MS not refuting a 54% fail rate at all.

Back up your shit.

@Steppy_76 said:

In another thread where tomentos tried to claim that DRE's were normal, I showed him links to guides that cropped up on the internet in early 2002 about how to fix DRE errors. We're not talking years down the road, we are talking about it being prevalent enough that guides were already being written less than 18 months after release.

While it wasn't as prevalent as the RROD, it was a very common issue very quickly for many people. Had there been a easily identifiable, easily nameable for the DRE and if the internet had been as pervasive as it is now the DRE would be recognized as being much worse than what people think it was remembering back now close to 20 years ago.

You also think many people are just willing to crack open their 300 dollar machine to fix it themselves? Many aren't willing to do that nowdays, and far fewer were willing to do it back then.

This is your first post on this page replying to Xantufrog.

Not only you falsely claim that what i claimed was wrong and that DRE didn't happen after years of use,but you use as proof some link you posted of someone on a forum talking about DRE problems 2 years into the damn PS2 life.

The by your second paragraph you claim it was very common issue very quickly for many people without a single link to proof it,so basically we have to take your biased ass word as some kind of proof no that is not how arguments work.

Then by the 3rd paragraph your blind fanboysm is so damn obvious is not even funny,so people are not willing to open their $300 dollar machine to fix it themself so what the hell would they do? As the warranty was 3 months remember? Basically your machine was worthless if it could not READ the damn games you simply had a $300 dollar paperweight on your living room,people were opening and fixing them everywhere and people were even charging to fix it.

By the way by 2002 the PS2 dropped to $199,the great majority of PS2 were sold $199 and under no $300.

And fixing DRE was easy and cheap contrary to RROD.

So back up your crap and show me the links stating 54% fail rates show us the irrefutable data you have.

@Pedro said:

Stop been a soulless troll,my link is as valid as anyone and unlike you i leave it at 3 months,now how does that proves DRE was worse?

Ill wait while you try to spin your way out.

#143 Posted by tormentos (28186 posts) -

@danjammer69 said:

My PS2 suffered DRE right out of the box, brand new. Which really sucked, because I won it in a contest from my job.

My original Fat launch PS3 got YLOD. Replacement 60GB fatty is still going strong.

My original PS4 suffered a full failure and wouldn't even turn on. Thankfully was under warranty and the replacement has been perfect.

I have never owned an Xbox, but my son has an Xbox One that no longer reads discs.

Even if you won it the thing was new and had warranty.

#144 Posted by Pedro (32706 posts) -

@tormentos:Sorry if you can't handle being wrong. @xantufrog destroyed your previous claim

That is od because sony never did a warranty extension that i know of it was always 1 year,and i was a PS2 owner since launch

From the link i posted which is directly from sony yes the 1 year was for US and canada,even the link say US.

#145 Posted by tormentos (28186 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@tormentos:Sorry if you can't handle being wrong. @xantufrog destroyed your previous claim

That is od because sony never did a warranty extension that i know of it was always 1 year,and i was a PS2 owner since launch

From the link i posted which is directly from sony yes the 1 year was for US and canada,even the link say US.

I get it you can't beat my argument so you hide on others but fact is my link is as valid period.

But then again i see you continue to ignore what i asked you.

So do you or anyone here have proof that DRE happen fast and that was as bad yes or no? If so post it.

#146 Posted by Pedro (32706 posts) -

@tormentos said:

I get it you can't beat my argument so you hide on others but fact is my link is as valid period.

So do you or anyone here have proof that DRE happen fast and that was as bad yes or no? If so post it.

I wasn't here to beat any argument, I am here to point out that even when you are wrong you can't admit you were wrong. You were blatantly proven wrong and you still trying to assert that are correct.

So, are you going to admit you were wrong about the warranty?

#147 Posted by Steppy_76 (2505 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

I don't get it.

Both my link and Xantufrog are from sony.

And second already Steppy_76 posted that,didn't stop my argument.

My link is 100% valid from sony,but i already stated that for sake of ending the argument lets assume the warranty was 3 months still would not change anything as steppy,you or anyone here have a link validating that DRE was even close to RROD,worse DRE also affected the original xbox as well as the xbox 360.

@Steppy_76 said:

This is simply you think DRE was worse BACK IT UP.

MS set aside 1+ billion for repairs point me to where sony did the same.

By the way the link i posted showed MS not refuting a 54% fail rate at all.

Back up your shit.

@Steppy_76 said:

In another thread where tomentos tried to claim that DRE's were normal, I showed him links to guides that cropped up on the internet in early 2002 about how to fix DRE errors. We're not talking years down the road, we are talking about it being prevalent enough that guides were already being written less than 18 months after release.

While it wasn't as prevalent as the RROD, it was a very common issue very quickly for many people. Had there been a easily identifiable, easily nameable for the DRE and if the internet had been as pervasive as it is now the DRE would be recognized as being much worse than what people think it was remembering back now close to 20 years ago.

You also think many people are just willing to crack open their 300 dollar machine to fix it themselves? Many aren't willing to do that nowdays, and far fewer were willing to do it back then.

This is your first post on this page replying to Xantufrog.

Not only you falsely claim that what i claimed was wrong and that DRE didn't happen after years of use,but you use as proof some link you posted of someone on a forum talking about DRE problems 2 years into the damn PS2 life.

The by your second paragraph you claim it was very common issue very quickly for many people without a single link to proof it,so basically we have to take your biased ass word as some kind of proof no that is not how arguments work.

Then by the 3rd paragraph your blind fanboysm is so damn obvious is not even funny,so people are not willing to open their $300 dollar machine to fix it themself so what the hell would they do? As the warranty was 3 months remember? Basically your machine was worthless if it could not READ the damn games you simply had a $300 dollar paperweight on your living room,people were opening and fixing them everywhere and people were even charging to fix it.

By the way by 2002 the PS2 dropped to $199,the great majority of PS2 were sold $199 and under no $300.

And fixing DRE was easy and cheap contrary to RROD.

So back up your crap and show me the links stating 54% fail rates show us the irrefutable data you have.

@Pedro said:

Stop been a soulless troll,my link is as valid as anyone and unlike you i leave it at 3 months,now how does that proves DRE was worse?

Ill wait while you try to spin your way out.

Let's see your official links to the failure rate of the RROD, ie verifiable qualified data, not a game informer poll, actual official data. You claim the RROD is way worse and you don't think YOU need data to support that? Let's see it dude. Official links only.

BTW I didn't say the DRE was worse than RROD, just that it was WAY more prevalent than you are trying to portray.

#148 Edited by danjammer69 (4305 posts) -
@tormentos said:
@danjammer69 said:

Even if you won it the thing was new and had warranty.

That's why I said I was lucky.

Sure, i was upset...because it was a hassle. But it was also free and brand new.

But I got a new one the same day using my own ingenious method. Certainly couldn't get away with that now though. But I won't mention how here.

#149 Posted by tormentos (28186 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:

Let's see your official links to the failure rate of the RROD, ie verifiable qualified data, not a game informer poll, actual official data. You claim the RROD is way worse and you don't think YOU need data to support that? Let's see it dude. Official links only.

BTW I didn't say the DRE was worse than RROD, just that it was WAY more prevalent than you are trying to portray.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/05/msft-xbox-charge-tech-media-cx_rr_0705techmsft.html#6e4468ef60a6

Here it is 1 billion + for repairs only some 44 million fat xbox 360 make as the rest were slim models which were not cover by the 3 year warranty.

So yeah start calculating how many units MS could repair with 1.15 billion dollars.

My poll has more validation than your shitty forum link hypocrite,you were fast to give credit to a damn forum which could be a total mess of fanboys as this one,but now want to discredit my poll link.

Now tell me why didn't MS deny that the fail rate was 54%,when people claimed xbox live was hack they came fast and deny it in fact several times,why didn't MS deny game informer info?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/original-360-defect-rate-was-68-per-cent

But hey this one isn't a survey and talk about what the fail rate was 4 months before launch..Hahahhahaa

Enjoy.

This is now history we know MS knew the xbox 360 was faulty they knew it and for more than a year they told people the fail rate was below the 5 to 3% which was a total lie,there was even a book publish of this.

You should stop man the PS2 wasn't even close and sony never spent 1 billion repairing the PS2,hell i think the PS3 even that sold less had more problems than the PS2 its fail rate was like 10+% which still is abode what it should be for a console.

You have nothing but some forums my links are much more reliable than yours.

@Pedro said:
@tormentos said:

I wasn't here to beat any argument, I am here to point out that even when you are wrong you can't admit you were wrong. You were blatantly proven wrong and you still trying to assert that are correct.

So, are you going to admit you were wrong about the warranty?

You are late.

@tormentos said:

3rd even if the warranty was 3 months lest say it was for the sake of ending the argument there,still would not say anything as DRE was not something that would strike your console in 3 months.

second how i was i batlantly proven wrong.

My link is from SONY it self and talk about both PS2 models,if you wish to give credibility to Xantufrog one because if serve your biased ass best that is ok,i already stated that we should assume it was 3 months,but fact is my link was as valid and clearly talk about both models.

#150 Posted by SecretPolice (34325 posts) -

The Only reason PS Poo lol sales were so high is everyone had to rebuy 4 of them because of DRE. Truth!!!

Nuttin but the fax mam. :P