2004, underatted year in gaming?

Posted by BlackBalls (725 posts) 12 days, 5 hours ago

Poll: 2004, underatted year in gaming? (38 votes)

Yes 37%
No 55%
Other 8%
  • Half Life 2 (god of shooters)
  • Halo 2
  • World of Warcraft (god of mmo's)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 (god of stelth)
  • Rome: Total War (god of rts's)
  • Grant Theft Auto San Andreas (god of GTA games)
  • Burnout 3: Takedown (god of racing games)
  • Need for speed underground 2 (god of coke)
  • The Chronicles of Riddick
  • Ratchet and Clank: Up your arsenal
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Far Cry
  • Fable

I was checking the wikipedia list, and oh my god, I'm still missing so many games. If we had a year like that again, I'd die.

#1 Posted by MonsieurX (38264 posts) -

How is it underrated?

#2 Posted by Juub1990 (8203 posts) -

It's consistently mentioned as being the best year in gaming ever...

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#3 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2344 posts) -

It’s no 2007, that’s for sure

Bioshock

Portal

COD 4 MW

Mario Galaxy

Halo 3

Mass Effect

Come on now...

#4 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1452 posts) -

You are that needs healing guy arn't you.....

fess up.

#5 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42117 posts) -

Every year is the best year in gaming

#6 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17751 posts) -

Not really, because as mentioned above, it's mentioned all the time as a contender for best year in gaming... and for good reason.

Half-Life 2 (my fav game of all time), Halo 2 & San Andreas... hell yeah!

#7 Posted by warmblur (920 posts) -

No 2005 is underrated.

#8 Edited by BlackBalls (725 posts) -
@goldenelementxl said:

Bioshock

Portal

COD 4 MW

Mario Galaxy

Halo 3

Mass Effect

Come on now...

Nope, 2004 was just as good. Only real games that made an impact from that list were bioshock, cod 4, mario galaxy. Halo 3, yawn. Mass effect 2 was the bomb - same for Portal 2, not the firsts. Your list is really limited. Sorry, but 2004 had much more bigger games.

#9 Posted by BlackBalls (725 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

Meh not really. 2014 was particularly sad.

#10 Posted by Ghosts4ever (7692 posts) -

No because it was best year in gaming.

• Half life 2
  • Riddick Escape from butcher bay
  • Doom 3
  • Hitman Contracts
  • Call of duty united offensive (when COD was good)

#11 Posted by DocSanchez (4876 posts) -

Who is underrating it? You? It was a standout year.

#12 Posted by Barney_Ross (9 posts) -

I think 2006/2007 underatted and further.

#13 Edited by DoroG1995 (2147 posts) -

Every year is underrated.(Since we get great games every year)

#14 Edited by Jag85 (12237 posts) -

Not an underrated year at all. It's one of the most highly-rated years of the 21st century so far, along with 2001 and 2017.

#15 Edited by Vatusus (8849 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

Bioshock

Portal

COD 4 MW

Mario Galaxy

Halo 3

Mass Effect

Come on now...

nah, 2004 games are way better than those

2005 is still king imo though:

Resident Evil 4

Devil May Cry 3

Shadow of the Colossus

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

MGS3 (EU release year)

Psychonauts

Battlefield 2

Kingdom Hearts 2

F.E.A.R.

Jade Empire

NFS: Most Wanted (arguably the best in the series)

Burnout Revenge (arguably the best also)

Brothers in Arms: Road to hill 30

#16 Posted by demon-returns (1435 posts) -

The best year in gaming is usually often the year in which games you got released :-l

out of the games listed in 2004 the only ones that I liked were GTA:SA and MGS 3 so..........

#17 Posted by Xtasy26 (5318 posts) -

Not, underrated at all. 2007 was the other great year with one of my all time favorites Crysis. Back when it pushed PC Gaming Hardware. A $600 8800 GTX couldn't max this game out at 1080P. 1998 would be another year I would rate it up there.

As others have mentioned 2005/2006 was great years. It seems the Mid-2000's were great years for Gaming.

@blackballs said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Probably the worst year in Gaming over the past 20 years.

#18 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42117 posts) -

@Xtasy26 said:

Not, underrated at all. 2007 was the other great year with one of my all time favorites Crysis. Back when it pushed PC Gaming Hardware. A $600 8800 GTX couldn't max this game out at 1080P. 1998 would be another year I would rate it up there.

As others have mentioned 2005/2006 was great years. It seems the Mid-2000's were great years for Gaming.

@blackballs said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

How so? As far as lack of good games or abundance of bad ones?

*A quick google search resulted in the following:

• Destiny: that's a game...some...people like. I guess. I mean it's well regarded and is a quality game, not my cup of tea. New IP, though, so that's something
  • Dark Souls 2: a sequel that is arguably better than the original
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: pretty awesome new IP there as well
  • Alien: Isolation: probably the best sci-fi-horror game in recent memory
  • Watch Dogs: again, not everyone's favorite, but still a good game and new IP
  • Bayonetta 2: again, another great sequel
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth: the return of Obsidian games as a developer, and arguably one of the funnier games in recent memory. Plus, a pretty good RPG to boot!
  • Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls: another awesome expansion for a fun game from Blizzard; yeah I know not everyone enjoyed D3 at release but it shaped into a good game eventually.
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order: amazing reboot of a franchise I thought could not get any better.
  • Titanfall: amazing multiplayer game with a fresh concept. Just because its popularity fell does not mean it's a bad game
  • Divinity: Original Sin: first installment of an awesome new franchise is an awesome and established IP
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity: arguably the most under-rated and under-valued installment, and IMO one of the best AC games since AC 2, AC Unity was a great experience and everything an AC game should be.
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: arguably one of the best MMO releases in recent years, it was a solid release for anyone looking for more Elder Scrolls content. A well-supported, stable, enjoyable game
  • Infamous: Second Son: never played it, heard good things though. 80% on metacritic
  • Civilization: Beyond Earth: essentially a mod for Civ V, it was not half as bad as people wanted it to be. A decent TBS for your sci-fi fix.
  • The Banner Saga
  • Broken Age
  • Five Nights at Freddy's
  • Elite: Dangerous
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Idunno nothing amazing but still some solid games there.

#19 Posted by DaVillain- (32431 posts) -

Every year is a good gaming year.

#20 Posted by Yams1980 (3043 posts) -

A few other games that I liked in 2004 that aren't on your list:

• Sims 2
  • Bloodrayne 2
  • Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
  • City of Heroes (loved its character creator and customization compared to WOW's limited trash)
  • Katamari Damacy (this whole series is weird and probably educational)
  • Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude
#21 Posted by foxhound_fox (97459 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

How is it underrated?

My question too. Outside of 1998, it's the most often touted as "best ever".

#22 Posted by commander (15252 posts) -

@Vatusus: wasn't re4 in 2004?

#23 Posted by UltTruz7 (10 posts) -

Don't forget Ninja Gaiden, SC Pandora Tomorrow, KOTOR 2, Paper Mario TTYD

#24 Posted by Vaidream45 (1303 posts) -

Never heard someone bashing that year but it sure was a good year for gaming.

#25 Posted by PSP107 (17257 posts) -

#26 Edited by Archangel3371 (26083 posts) -

As has been said a number of times already I really don’t see how it may seem underrated as I often see a good number of people say how much they liked it.

#27 Posted by BlackBalls (725 posts) -

@commander said:

@Vatusus: wasn't re4 in 2004?

2005, January.

#28 Posted by Planeforger (17757 posts) -

I think everyone agrees that 2004 was good.

1998 was still the best (it had a huge number of groundbreaking titles), but 2004 is up there.

#29 Posted by clone01 (27319 posts) -

There was a rat shortage in 2004?

#30 Edited by warmblur (920 posts) -

@Vatusus said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Bioshock

Portal

COD 4 MW

Mario Galaxy

Halo 3

Mass Effect

Come on now...

nah, 2004 games are way better than those

2005 is still king imo though:

Resident Evil 4

Devil May Cry 3

Shadow of the Colossus

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

MGS3 (EU release year)

Psychonauts

Battlefield 2

Kingdom Hearts 2

F.E.A.R.

Jade Empire

NFS: Most Wanted (arguably the best in the series)

Burnout Revenge (arguably the best also)

Brothers in Arms: Road to hill 30

Hell yes!! also SWAT 4, Condemned criminal origins and Indigo Prophecy.

#31 Posted by Xtasy26 (5318 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Xtasy26 said:

@blackballs said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

How so? As far as lack of good games or abundance of bad ones?

*A quick google search resulted in the following:

• Destiny: that's a game...some...people like. I guess. I mean it's well regarded and is a quality game, not my cup of tea. New IP, though, so that's something
  • Dark Souls 2: a sequel that is arguably better than the original
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: pretty awesome new IP there as well
  • Alien: Isolation: probably the best sci-fi-horror game in recent memory
  • Watch Dogs: again, not everyone's favorite, but still a good game and new IP
  • Bayonetta 2: again, another great sequel
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth: the return of Obsidian games as a developer, and arguably one of the funnier games in recent memory. Plus, a pretty good RPG to boot!
  • Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls: another awesome expansion for a fun game from Blizzard; yeah I know not everyone enjoyed D3 at release but it shaped into a good game eventually.
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order: amazing reboot of a franchise I thought could not get any better.
  • Titanfall: amazing multiplayer game with a fresh concept. Just because its popularity fell does not mean it's a bad game
  • Divinity: Original Sin: first installment of an awesome new franchise is an awesome and established IP
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity: arguably the most under-rated and under-valued installment, and IMO one of the best AC games since AC 2, AC Unity was a great experience and everything an AC game should be.
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: arguably one of the best MMO releases in recent years, it was a solid release for anyone looking for more Elder Scrolls content. A well-supported, stable, enjoyable game
  • Infamous: Second Son: never played it, heard good things though. 80% on metacritic
  • Civilization: Beyond Earth: essentially a mod for Civ V, it was not half as bad as people wanted it to be. A decent TBS for your sci-fi fix.
  • The Banner Saga
  • Broken Age
  • Five Nights at Freddy's
  • Elite: Dangerous
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Idunno nothing amazing but still some solid games there.

Well Destiny was mediocre. As well as most on the list, ie Watch Dogs not as good as it was hyped up to be. I do like some of the games on the list like Wolfenstein (and Bayonetta 2 wasn't on the PC, as I am primarily a PC Gamer). Titanfall was okay and Assassin's Creed:Unity despite it me wanting it to be a great Assassins Creed game due to it being set in France turned out to be okay with severe bugs in the PC version. No where as good as AC2. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, despite me liking Borderlands wasn't as good as Borderlands 1 or 2. The Game of the Year that year Middle Earth wasn't earth shattering say Half-Life in 1998 or Half-Life 2 in 2004 or Crysis in 2007.

#32 Posted by Xtasy26 (5318 posts) -
@Planeforger said:

I think everyone agrees that 2004 was good.

1998 was still the best (it had a huge number of groundbreaking titles), but 2004 is up there.

Yep. 1998 was the best year in Gaming without a doubt.

#33 Edited by koko-goal (1115 posts) -

2011 is the one that underrated.

Edit:

What a coincidence 👀

#34 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (5954 posts) -

You forgot:

• Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Doom 3

And its not underrated, it was the golden era of gaming.

#35 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1900 posts) -

@Vatusus: Agreed. That was a great year. Devil May Cry 3, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Kingdom Hearts 3 were all so lit back then. Kingdom Hearts 3 was so much better than the original and I loved the original lol

#36 Posted by Kali-B1rd (1452 posts) -

Thief is king of stealth... MGS LOL

#37 Posted by Sam3231 (2483 posts) -

2004 was really not underrated and often revered as one of the best years for video games.

#38 Edited by AJStyles (179 posts) -

It’s not underrated at all when most gamers consider it one of the best years in gaming history.

When people list the best years, 2001/2004/2007 and several others pop up right away.

#39 Posted by uninspiredcup (28602 posts) -

Halflife 2 is underrated.

#41 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24280 posts) -

I don't think there's any year that can match 1998 in terms of greatness. Games, hardware, software, online unless the player wasn't old enough to live through it.

Hell. most people here can read about the original Doom. But, they have no idea of the enormous (and mostly negative) impact it had at the time.

Even being online was sort of new in 1998. Lots of gaming forums setting up shop. Even though the Internet went public in 1996, it still took some time afterwards before gaming sites followed.

Just about all aspects of gaming was affected in 1998

2004 is a good year for games. But, Golden Age? Forget it. It'll be a long time before we see another year match or surpass 1998.

#42 Posted by l34052 (3839 posts) -

We can't forget that Gran Turismo 4 was released in 2004, the last great GT game in my opinion.

#43 Edited by bigfootpart2 (1059 posts) -

I think it's regarded by most to be the best or one of the best years for gaming.

Half-Life 2 and WoW alone would have been a pretty big deal.

But there were lots of other great games that year too like Far Cry, Fable, Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2, Doom 3, UT2004, GTA San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3, Chronicles of Riddick, Metroid Prime 2, KOTOR 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Rome Total War, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, Painkiller, and Grand Turismo 4.

I'm actually struggling to think of any other year that had so many games that are regarded as being among the greatest of all time. We are lucky if we get one or two games a year now of that caliber.

I actually remember cutting class in college for almost two weeks in November of 2004 because I had too many great games to play. Half-Life 2, Halo 2, and WoW all came out within a few weeks of each other.

#44 Posted by Xtasy26 (5318 posts) -
@jun_aka_pekto said:

I don't think there's any year that can match 1998 in terms of greatness. Games, hardware, software, online unless the player wasn't old enough to live through it.

Hell. most people here can read about the original Doom. But, they have no idea of the enormous (and mostly negative) impact it had at the time.

Even being online was sort of new in 1998. Lots of gaming forums setting up shop. Even though the Internet went public in 1996, it still took some time afterwards before gaming sites followed.

Just about all aspects of gaming was affected in 1998

2004 is a good year for games. But, Golden Age? Forget it. It'll be a long time before we see another year match or surpass 1998.

Well said. Although I remember seeing the internet before 1996. In terms of hardware this was one of the biggest years as that's when 3D Graphics Card really started to take off with the release of the second generation Voodoo 2. The first Voodoo got the industry going and Voodoo 2 is when things really picked up. And nVidia released the Riva TNT which was one they really started to pick up steam in terms of performance and with good image quality (first nVidia card to support 32 bit color). And of course ATI released the Rage 128 with 32 bit color support. Pretty much all PC Games started to support 3D accelerated graphics that year as opposed to when the original Voodoo launched in 1996 when only a handful of PC Games supported it.

I mean we are still re-making/re-releasing games from that year in the last couple of years (Grim Fandango, Turok 2, Battlezone, Starcraft 2).

@bigfootpart2 said:

I think it's regarded by most to be the best or one of the best years for gaming.

Half-Life 2 and WoW alone would have been a pretty big deal.

But there were lots of other great games that year too like Far Cry, Fable, Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2, Doom 3, UT2004, GTA San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3, Chronicles of Riddick, Metroid Prime 2, KOTOR 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Rome Total War, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, Painkiller, and Grand Turismo 4.

I'm actually struggling to think of any other year that had so many games that are regarded as being among the greatest of all time. We are lucky if we get one or two games a year now of that caliber.

I actually remember cutting class in college for almost two weeks in November of 2004 because I had too many great games to play. Half-Life 2, Halo 2, and WoW all came out within a few weeks of each other.

1998 and 2007 but mostly 1998.

#45 Posted by Valkeerie (272 posts) -

Now you have me set up for an exercise: whether the best years in gaming have showed up in regular intervals. I'll be checking 1992 through 2010.

#46 Posted by Robbie23 (55 posts) -

I would say 1982 was the greatest year because E.T on the Atari was released and nearly made the gaming industry crash :D (jokes)

#47 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24280 posts) -

I think the best way to put it:

2004 is a great year for harvests and wine while 1998 is a fricking revolution and upheaval where gaming as we know it was changed forever.