Windows games running on Linux

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by PredatorRules (12332 posts) -

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/valve-seems-to-be-working-on-tools-to-get-windows-games-running-on-linux/

Based on that If Microsoft wouldn't do anything to improve that useless DX12 of theirs gamers will install Steam OS and save around 80-100$ on new systems instead of buying Windows 10.

I know the only thing stops me from using Linux based OS is the fact that not all games support Linux / Vulkan, while these good news might change it for me in the near future.

100$ maybe doesn't sound much but it could get you the better hardware you're looking for instead.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
#2 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (1194 posts) -

$100 does sound like too much to pay for Windows, that's why I bought my key at one of those cheap sites for something like $20. I doubt I'll ever switch to Linux, even if I had to pay more. Windows has always been more comfortable, at least for us non-IT professionals.

#3 Posted by Howmakewood (5569 posts) -

sadly there's still some software I require not available on linux that I need for work that stops me from using linux fulltime, which kind of sucks as have to swap between them every day

#4 Posted by osan0 (15286 posts) -

yeah i saw this a while back. interesting. they seem to be looking into a way to integrate wine and DXVK into steam. a bit like GOG getting really old games running on modern OSs by having preconfigured versions of things like dosbox.

other applications (such as play on linux) have done similar things with varying degrees of success (i remember playing guild wars using it a long long long time ago. it worked well overall except for shadows killing performance). lutris seems to be the go to now and its something im looking into to see if i can get MHW running on my PC. i also want to play more of doom.

#5 Edited by osan0 (15286 posts) -

Oooh its official now.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Valve-Steam-Play-Proton-Linux

im going to give Doom a shot using lutris (dam 70GB download) but it looks like this would be a nicer fit (though lutris has other uses too). i will be sure to give it a go when its out of beta.

.....or maybe i will opt in for the beta. hmm.

#6 Posted by PredatorRules (12332 posts) -
@osan0 said:

Oooh its official now.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Valve-Steam-Play-Proton-Linux

im going to give Doom a shot using lutris (dam 70GB download) but it looks like this would be a nicer fit (though lutris has other uses too). i will be sure to give it a go when its out of beta.

I'll wait for everything to be optimized and solid for few months, then I'll join the train

#7 Edited by osan0 (15286 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:
@osan0 said:

Oooh its official now.

I'll wait for everything to be optimized and solid for few months, then I'll join the train

i was going to hold off but the lutris attempt didnt work (and in fairness i didnt spend much time getting it to work. probably an easy fix. loads of people have it working). so i just said screw it and opted into the beta.

im going to be very interested to see how this goes. dam 70GB download though :(.

#8 Posted by osan0 (15286 posts) -

just a quick update if anyone is curious: with doom 2016 it works. on my RX 580 4GB im getting basically 60FPS (i have vsync enabled) at 1080P up to the intro elevator at least (i just turned off the FPS counter after that). i dont know how that stacks up against windows but its playable. no graphical issues either that i could see.

there was some teething issues. i needed to make sure the game was using vulkan and i had to ensure the steam runtime instead of native libraries were used.

on a side note 2 things

1) i have forgotten just how awesome the steam controller is. its not mouse good but dam its good as controllers go.

2) i am REALLY rusty at FPSs.

#9 Posted by PredatorRules (12332 posts) -
@osan0 said:

just a quick update if anyone is curious: with doom 2016 it works. on my RX 580 4GB im getting basically 60FPS (i have vsync enabled) at 1080P up to the intro elevator at least (i just turned off the FPS counter after that). i dont know how that stacks up against windows but its playable. no graphical issues either that i could see.

there was some teething issues. i needed to make sure the game was using vulkan and i had to ensure the steam runtime instead of native libraries were used.

on a side note 2 things

1) i have forgotten just how awesome the steam controller is. its not mouse good but dam its good as controllers go.

2) i am REALLY rusty at FPSs.

Well Doom isn't the perfect game to test on Linux, because it uses Vulkan which IS the greatest Linux gaming thing (next gen OpenGL).

People would either use Vulkan for Linux or SteamPlay which should emulate it in case Vulkan doesn't exist.

#10 Posted by FovereverAlone (23 posts) -

i prefer windows than linux

Avatar image for godfrey15dennmark
#14 Posted by godfrey15dennmark (1 posts) -

Any games can i play with my brother in 1 pc?

#15 Posted by PredatorRules (12332 posts) -

@godfrey15dennmark: Old thread.

Locked.