Harshest game (temp)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by demi0227_basic (1940 posts) -

I'm wondering what games you guys have that really push up the temps on your hardware.

I have 2 games that seem to run hotter than others; GTA Online, and Ark (while running a private dedicated server).

What games really heat up your room while you play?

#2 Edited by Sam3231 (2529 posts) -

I game in my cold basement with an i5 (not OC) and a single gtx 970 (stock) in a giant MidATX case. So yeah.

#3 Posted by neatfeatguy (4233 posts) -

Back when I had my GTX 570s in SLI the one game that really punished them and made them run to the mid 90s with settings on high was Sniper Elite 3. Most other games would have the GPUs in the low 70s to maybe low 80s. Sniper Elite 3 just punished them.

Sure, SLI caused more heat in the case, but it was really the only game I had to really drop settings down - not because they couldn't play the game well on high settings, but because it just overworked the cards and caused them to run really hot. Once I dropped most settings down towards medium, the temps still ran in the low-mid 80s. Sure it was still a bit higher than I liked, but at least it wasn't the mid 90s.

#4 Posted by SOedipus (11234 posts) -

For some reason Starcraft Remastered is giving my system a hard time. Starcraft II doesn't though, and I have that maxed lol.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
#5 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (1193 posts) -

I think Far Cry 3 worked my CPU the hardest of all games, it was like running Prime95. And lately Observer. My PC would just restart with all the fans running loud. The game doesn't look all that impressive, but it runs on UE4 engine which I heard likes to rape GPU's.

#6 Posted by GTR12 (13293 posts) -

CPU or GPU temps? It varies, Witcher 3 for GPU and an emulator for CPU.

#7 Edited by Yams1980 (3140 posts) -

Most heavy usage of gpu and cpu in a game currently i run would be Final Fantasy XV. I have a 4770k i7 (4.4ghz), and i see its threads get used fairly aggressively at times. The cpu though is still mostly average use, just load times it will boost up to full briefly.

And my gpu is a 1080 gtx, and its running the game at 2560x1080 with settings mostly max except most nvidia gameworks off except the grass. The gpu is nearly 100% all the time, the fps is locked at 75 fps and the fps will go to around 50-75 fps.

Huge gpu load i'm getting here, i'm really not sure why. The games graphics are not good at all, when you just stand around and look at an area, there is nothing animated, the background environments look like a blurry static image. I haven't seen a game recently with this bad of optimization and haven't a clue where all the resources are going to. And the NPCS in the game are laughable in texture and polygon quality.

Also the game eats ram like crazy, i've seen it use anywhere from 10-16gb of ram. I have 32gb of ram and had to even close down chrome since i was eating through so much ram from this game alone... and yet i state again, the graphics are bad, and haven't a clue why its taking so much ram and gpu to run it. The colors don't look good, the grass is really low quality. The graphics look like they were made 10+ years ago.

Can anyone here honestly say the average quality of the graphics in this game justify the high gpu cost? Its TXAA antialiasing is a joke also, i've never seen such a blurry mess.

So in temps, GPU in the game hit 72c max, and cpu temps are in the low 60's. I think the fan speeds on the gpu is around 50-65% range at this load.

Sorry about the rant if you like this game, just pissed how bad it looks and how demanding it still is.

#8 Posted by Yams1980 (3140 posts) -

Another game that comes to mind is the launch version of No Mans Sky. It used all 8 threads of my cpu almost constantly, and they fixed this later with a patch but this also seemed to cause more texture pop in so it was a trade off.

I wish they had left some type of toggle in the options to allow this because i prefered the higher cpu usage and less texture pop in.

No mans was also heavy on the gpu usage, i haven't played it on my 1080gtx but on my 970gtx it would max it out at times even at just 1080p.

#9 Posted by Litchie (22900 posts) -

I've noticed my fans going faster after playing Vermintide 2 for a little while. No problem with running it though. It can go into the 30 fps range sometimes when there's lots of shit going on, which I dislike very much, but it's mostly good. I seriously need to upgrade my i5 something processor.. It has served me extremely well though I must say.. Bought it like 2010 or something. I still have DDR2 RAM as well.. And no SSD, lol.

#10 Posted by Howmakewood (5567 posts) -

@Litchie said:

I've noticed my fans going faster after playing Vermintide 2 for a little while. No problem with running it though. It can go into the 30 fps range sometimes when there's lots of shit going on, which I dislike very much, but it's mostly good. I seriously need to upgrade my i5 something processor.. It has served me extremely well though I must say.. Bought it like 2010 or something. I still have DDR2 RAM as well.. And no SSD, lol.

the game is pretty damn hard on cpu, gives my oc'd 8700k a run for the money

#11 Posted by Litchie (22900 posts) -

@howmakewood said:
@Litchie said:

the game is pretty damn hard on cpu, gives my oc'd 8700k a run for the money

Yeah, I noticed and put the things I thought were most CPU heavy to medium and got it smoother. Still struggles in some areas though.

#14 Posted by PredatorRules (12329 posts) -

Old thread locked.