Whats your favourite sports OT ?

• 124 results
#51 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor: So the things that are most popular are also your favorites? How is that supposed to be obvious?

#52 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor: So the things that are most popular are also your favorites? How is that supposed to be obvious?

How is that not supposed to be obvious playboy?

#53 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor: Because that's not how statistics work in the real world. If that were the case then it would be obvious that your name is Muhammad and you're a Christian. Those are the most popular name and religion.

Simply because X is a statistical majority doesn't mean that any random sample taken will be X.

#54 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor: Because that's not how statistics work in the real world. If that were the case then it would be obvious that your name is Muhammad and you're a Christian. Those are the most popular name and religion.

Simply because X is a statistical majority doesn't mean that any random sample taken will be X.

That is how statistics work in the real world. Yes and that's the case so I guess you just proved my point.

That's not what I said. But it's obvious that I like football, just like it's obvious that I am over one meter tall.

#55 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor: No, that's not how statistics work. Ignorance FTL.

The fact that something is most popular doesn't mean that it's obvious that any particular individual likes that thing. Look through the thread, you'll see that there are numerous sports other than soccer that people list as their favorite. If the fact that soccer is the most popular means that it's obvious that it's the favorite sport of any given individual you wouldn't see any other sports listed.

#56 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

The fact that something is most popular doesn't mean that it's obvious that any particular individual likes that thing. Look through the thread, you'll see that there are numerous sports other than soccer that people list as their favorite. If the fact that soccer is the most popular means that it's obvious that it's the favorite sport of any given individual you wouldn't see any other sports listed.

Yes it is. I know statistics.

Never heard of this soccer thing so I don't know what you're talking about right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
#57 Posted by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@themajormayor: If you're going to turn into a troll user you need to be better than this, otherwise you'll never gain popularity around here.

#58 Edited by indzman (27735 posts) -

@korvus said:

@themajormayor: If you're going to turn into a troll user you need to be better than this, otherwise you'll never gain popularity around here.

Why is a mjormayor a troll? Hes not wrong saying Foottball most popular sports. Its gerg who is wrong =P

#59 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@indzman: I'm not saying that soccer isn't the most popular sport.

#60 Posted by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@indzman: I was referring to the other part of the message XD

#61 Edited by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

Never heard of this soccer thing so I don't know what you're talking about right now.

No. The fact that X is most popular does not make it "obvious" that a particular individual falls into the group that finds X to be their favorite.

Soccer is another name for the game that you call football. Don't play dumb. Weak troll is weak.

#62 Edited by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

No. The fact that X is most popular does not make it "obvious" that a particular individual falls into the group that finds X to be their favorite.

Soccer is another name for the game that you call football. Don't play dumb. Weak troll is weak.

Yes it is. For example, it is more common to be over one meter tall. So obviously I am over one meter and so are you. Obviously.

A person is not playing dumb for not knowing every word in the dictionary of a language that is not his mother tongue playboy. Especially one apparently only used in a very fringe part of the world.

#63 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

Yes it is. For example, it is more common to be over one meter tall. So obviously I am over one meter and so are you. Obviously.

A person is not playing dumb for not knowing every word in the dictionary of a language that is not his mother tongue playboy. Especially one apparently only used in a very fringe part of the world.

If it was obvious that everyone fit into the majority then that would be the only possible option. If it's obvious that any random person is over a meter tall then everyone would be over a meter tall, and we know that that's simply not true.

#64 Edited by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@themajormayor: I think you're confusing the world "obviously" with "probably".

If I have 20 balls in a bag and 19 of them are green, if I pick a random one it's "obviously" going to be green?

@thegerg: Apparently I'm asian and so are you!

#65 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@korvus said:

I knew it! Damn statistics. I guess I'm wrong about my favorite sport too. It's obviously really soccer.

#66 Posted by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@thegerg: You can't even get your favourite sport right...well, no matter, at least your math skills are top class (from being asian).

#67 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

If it was obvious that everyone fit into the majority then that would be the only possible option. If it's obvious that any random person is over a meter tall then everyone would be over a meter tall, and we know that that's simply not true.

That's not the definition of obvious. Maybe you should use the actual definition.

#68 Edited by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@korvus said:

If I have 20 balls in a bag and 19 of them are green, if I pick a random one it's "obviously" going to be green?

It is obviously going to be green. We can do the test if you want and see for ourselves.

#69 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@korvus said:

It is obviously going to be green. We can do the test if you want and see for ourselves.

So there's no chance that he could randomly pick the one ball that's not green?

#70 Edited by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@korvus said:

Also, you killed my father, prepare to die...

#71 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@korvus said:

Of course there is a chance, but obviously it's going to be green.

#72 Edited by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@korvus said:

@themajormayor said:

@korvus said:

Also, you killed my father, prepare to die...

It means what I think it means.

Who's your father now?

#73 Edited by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Oh **** me, out of nowhere this conversation just gave me a bloody laugh attack so loud my wife came downstairs to made sure I hadn't permanently lost it.

Regardless of whether we come to the same conclusion or not this was the best part of my day so far. Thank you (no sarcasm) =D

#74 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor:

"ob·vi·ousˈäbvēəs/adjective

1. easily perceived or understood; clear, self-evident, or apparent."

You're trying to argue that the fact that soccer is the most popular sport is the reason that it's obvious that it's your favorite sport. That's simply not true. The fact that X is most popular does not mean that it's self-evident that it's your favorite.

If it's self-evident that the most popular sport in the world is the favorite of any random GS user, then why have people said that they have favorites that aren't soccer?

#75 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@korvus said:

So what if he does pick the one ball that's not green? If he picks the one ball that's not green then the ball he picked is not obviously green.

#76 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor:

You're trying to argue that the fact that soccer is the most popular sport is the reason that it's obvious that it's your favorite sport. That's simply not true. The fact that X is most popular does not mean that it's self-evident that it's your favorite.

If it's self-evident that the most popular sport in the world is the favorite of any random GS user, then why have people said that they have favorites that aren't soccer?

Exactly, it is easily understood that football is my favorite sport.

I am not any random GS user. It is easily understood that people have football as their favorite sport, hence it is obvious.

#77 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@korvus said:

So what if he does pick the one ball that's not green? If he picks the one ball that's not green then the ball he picked is not obviously green.

Fortunately that is something that will obviously not happen. Just like the earth will not be destroyed tomorrow by a gamma ray burst. So obviously the earth will still be around tomorrow.

#78 Edited by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Fortunately that is something that will obviously not happen. Just like the earth will not be destroyed tomorrow by a gamma ray burst. So obviously the earth will still be around tomorrow.

Ok Greg gave his (and mine) definition of obvious which doesn't seem to be the same definition you use so would you be so kind as to get your dictionary of choice and post the definition for us?

#79 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@korvus said:

@themajormayor said:

Ok Greg gave his (and mine) definition of obvious which doesn't seem to be the same definition you use so would you be so kind as to get your dictionary of choice and post the definition for us?

No I use the same as Greg, easily understood.

#80 Edited by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

So it's easily understood that my favourite sport is football?

#81 Edited by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@korvus said:

@themajormayor said:

So it's easily understood that my favourite sport is football?

Yes that would be a thing that is easy to understand.

#82 Posted by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Yes that would be a thing that is easy to understand.

But football is NOT my favourite sport. Yes it's easy to understand why it COULD BE my favourite sport since it's arguably the most popular but saying "I can understand why football is your favourite sport" and saying "Football is obviously your favourite sport" is not the same...

#83 Edited by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor:

I am not any random GS user. It is easily understood that people have football as their favorite sport, hence it is obvious.

"Exactly, it is easily understood that football is my favorite sport."

Right. But your claim is that it's obvious that it's your favorite sport because it's the most popular sport in the world. That is not the reason that it's obviously your favorite.

If X is your favorite because it is the most popular (which is what you're claiming here) then you would be a Christian (most poplar type of religion) man named Muhammad (most popular given name) who owns a Toyota Camry (best selling car in the world), is a fan of PewDiePie (most watched Youtube guy), drinks Snow beer (best selling beer), speaks Mandarin (most spoken language), and uses Hotmail (believe it or not, still the most used email service). I highly doubt that you fit into that mold.

#84 Edited by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@korvus said:

"Fortunately that is something that will obviously not happen."

But you just said that there is a chance that it will happen. If there's a chance that it will happen (in this case, a 5% chance that he will pick the not-green ball) why do you think it's so obvious that it wont happen?

#85 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor:

Right. But your claim is that it's obvious that it's your favorite sport because it's the most popular sport in the world. That is not the reason that it's obviously your favorite.

Yes exactly, it is easily understood that football is my favorite sport because it is the most popular sport in the world.

#86 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor:

Yes exactly, it is easily understood that football is my favorite sport because it is the most popular sport in the world.

No. It's easily understood that its your favorite sport because you claim that it's your favorite sport.

#87 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -
@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@korvus said:

"Fortunately that is something that will obviously not happen."

But you just said that there is a chance that it will happen. If there's a chance that it will happen (in this case, a 5% chance that he will pick the not-green ball) why do you think it's so obvious that it wont happen?

Of course there is a chance that it will happen. But it obviously won't. Let's see if the earth is still here tomorrow. I claim that it obviously will whereas you claim that it will not obviously. In that way we can see who is right (obviously me).

#88 Edited by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor said:
@thegerg said:

Of course there is a chance that it will happen. But it obviously won't. Let's see if the earth is still here tomorrow. I claim that it obviously will whereas you claim that it will not obviously. In that way we can see who is right (obviously me).

Please just try to answer the question. If there's a chance that it will happen (in this case, a 5% chance that he will pick the not-green ball) why do you think it's so obvious that it wont happen?

If he is obviously not going to pick the non-green ball there is would be no chance that he would pick that he would pick the non-green ball.

#89 Edited by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

I think you're looking at this backwards. If you tell us your preference on a particular subject and it happens to be the same as the majority it's (in theory) easily understandable why that is your preference, since it's shared by many people (although I personally don't understand the popularity of some things) but you can't use that as a criteria for determining something, which is what Greg is trying to tell you. Yeah, if I walk in somebody's house and I see a bunch of basketball gear, the house is covered with NBA players' posters, I see he has season tickets and he lives alone then yeah, it's obvious (although not 100% certain) that he likes basketball. But without any of this information how would it be obvious?

Also, @indzman, if at any time you get sick of us derailing your thread I'll stop posting. Sorry!

#90 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:
@thegerg said:

Please just try to answer the question. If there's a chance that it will happen (in this case, a 5% chance that he will pick the not-green ball) why do you think it's so obvious that it wont happen?

If he is obviously not going to pick the non-green ball there is would be no chance that he would pick that he would pick the non-green ball.

Because there is such a low chance obviously.

And I can't understand your second sentence until you hire an English tutor and learn how to use proper grammar.

#91 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@korvus said:

@themajormayor said:

I think you're looking at this backwards. If you tell us your preference on a particular subject and it happens to be the same as the majority it's (in theory) easily understandable why that is your preference, since it's shared by many people (although I personally don't understand the popularity of some things) but you can't use that as a criteria for determining something, which is what Greg is trying to tell you. Yeah, if I walk in somebody's house and I see a bunch of basketball gear, the house is covered with NBA players' posters, I see he has season tickets and he lives alone then yeah, it's obvious (although not 100% certain) that he likes basketball. But without any of this information how would it be obvious?

Also, @indzman, if at any time you get sick of us derailing your thread I'll stop posting. Sorry!

I never said you can use it as a criteria for determining something. I think Greg needs to hire an English tutor so that people will finally be able to understand him.

Aren't you now yourself just confusing probable with obvious?

#92 Posted by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@themajormayor: I'm getting a headache and I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this. We obviously use the word differently. If I say "I'm name is obviously Pedro, I'm obviously Portuguese, my favourite colour is obviously blue and I'm obviously a phisiotherapist" this is (annoying sentence construction aside) a perfectly acceptable statement to you while to me it's a ridiculous one.

#93 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor: A low chance of something happening does not mean that there is no chance of it happening. If he is obviously going to pick a green ball and not going to pick a non-green ball then he would NOT have a chance of picking the non-green ball, yet you are claiming that he DOES have a chance of doing so.

#94 Posted by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@korvus said:

@themajormayor: I'm getting a headache and I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this. We obviously use the word differently. If I say "I'm name is obviously Pedro, I'm obviously Portuguese, my favourite colour is obviously blue and I'm obviously a phisiotherapist" this is (annoying sentence construction aside) a perfectly acceptable statement to you while to me it's a ridiculous one.

Don't worry. I'm actually just trying to annoy greg.

#95 Posted by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@themajormayor: That was obviously well played XD

#96 Edited by themajormayor (25728 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor: A low chance of something happening does not mean that there is no chance of it happening. If he is obviously going to pick a green ball and not going to pick a non-green ball then he would NOT have a chance of picking the non-green ball, yet you are claiming that he DOES have a chance of doing so.

I never said that. That's not what obviously means. There is a very low chance of him picking the non-green one so he will obviously pick a green one.

#97 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

I never said that. That's not what obviously means. There is a very low chance of him picking the non-green one so he will obviously pick a green one.

The word "obviously" does not mean "most likely" of "highly probably." If there is a 5% chance that he will pick the non-green ball then it is not obvious that the ball he will pick will be green.

#98 Posted by thegerg (18446 posts) -

@themajormayor: The odds are that any person in the world chosen at random will be male. Does that mean that it's obvious that any person chosen at random will be male?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
#99 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

thegerg getting beaten by his own pedantic games lol

#100 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

MMA, for sure. Everything else is pretty boring. With the exception of American football.