Watching TV or playing games with the lights off

#1 Posted by warmblur (1111 posts) -

Lately I been reminiscing about the past and I remember a time period of my life in the late 90's and early 00's where I would watch TV with the lights off. It kinda of created a unique atmosphere especially with a blacklight or lava lamp it enhance the movie experience I'm curious if anyone here has done this or still likes to do it?

#2 Posted by Heirren (687 posts) -

I do not understand. Do you mean to tell me that its common practice to turn the lights ON when wtchhing a film, for example?

#3 Posted by livingdeadman (124 posts) -

I do both. Sometimes lights on or lights off.

#4 Posted by warmblur (1111 posts) -

@heirren said:

I do not understand. Do you mean to tell me that its common practice to turn the lights ON when wtchhing a film, for example?

Yes, its more common to have the lights on as far as I know.

#5 Posted by Heirren (687 posts) -

@warmblur:

Im not much of a tv person, so i wouldnt know.

#6 Posted by Byshop (19180 posts) -

@warmblur said:

Lately I been reminiscing about the past and I remember a time period of my life in the late 90's and early 00's where I would watch TV with the lights off. It kinda of created a unique atmosphere especially with a blacklight or lava lamp it enhance the movie experience I'm curious if anyone here has done this or still likes to do it?

I have different lighting scenes programmed in my home theater for different circumstances, also in part because I have a projector. I have a scene that turns off just the light over the projection screen (which also turns on the projector), another scene that turns off multiple lights (and turns on the projector) and turns the remaining ones on the side to a dim red which leaves the room lit enough to see it but dark otherwise. Or else I turn the lights off completely (for horror). I have a few more scenes that use a combination of purple/blacklight. All of this is voice controlled because why not? :)

-Byshop

#7 Posted by warmblur (1111 posts) -

@Byshop said:
@warmblur said:

I have different lighting scenes programmed in my home theater for different circumstances, also in part because I have a projector. I have a scene that turns off just the light over the projection screen (which also turns on the projector), another scene that turns off multiple lights (and turns on the projector) and turns the remaining ones on the side to a dim red which leaves the room lit enough to see it but dark otherwise. Or else I turn the lights off completely (for horror). I have a few more scenes that use a combination of purple/blacklight. All of this is voice controlled because why not? :)

-Byshop

Nice!!!

#8 Posted by Speeny (606 posts) -

I always play/watch TV with lights on. My eyes strain like crazy if I play with them off. (Horror games/movies are the exception of course though.)

#9 Posted by johnd13 (9501 posts) -

I prefer lights off but I still leave at least one lamp on as staring at a monitor for too long in complete darkness is bad for your eyes.

#10 Posted by goodzorr (411 posts) -

I have a lamp on, and the fishtank light gives off a hue, otherwise the 'main' light is only on when needed to see things more. I haaaaaate glare on the TV screen!

#11 Posted by brimmul777 (3880 posts) -

I normally play games during the day,but when I don't I keep the lights on.

#12 Posted by uninspiredcup (29208 posts) -

Na, usually fiddling with stuff or doing two things at once.

Unless it's something like a horror game.

#13 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42382 posts) -

Nope, lights off. Curtains closed. Dark dark dark is the way to be.

@heirren said:

First thing my roommates do when they come home is turn on all the lights in the living room, then watch TV. It really baffles the hell out of me tbh, never really met many people that did that.

Then again, maybe they just don't like being in the dark? They hate scary movies too, maybe they don't feel safe in the dark. KInd of makes me feel like a weirdo because here I am in the dark (or with the lights out) watching a movie and they come in and go "man it's dark in here" and they turn on all the lights. Not just the hallway lights and stuff, but the lamp (for reading) that's like five feet from the TV, and the kitchen lights which are behind the couch.

I mean, it's borderline bright after they're done. I get wanting some soft illumination, but that bright? Crazy.

I'll have to experiment next time we watch a movie together, I'm going to ask if it's OK to turn off the lights, see how they react.

#14 Posted by Heirren (687 posts) -

@mrbojangles25:

Im not the person to ask. I ask myself why i even own a tv as it hardly gets used. I suppose i did pick up football this year so...

If your roomates are making you babble that much id say bring it up. Common courtesy is a lost art these days, not just with kids but adults too. Come to think of it , if adults dont have common courtesy have they even reached adulthood? Hmm

#15 Posted by HEATHEN75 (500 posts) -

The TV is the light at my house.

#16 Posted by narlymech (1644 posts) -

I don't use alot of lights in my house. It's pretty dark in here always.

#17 Posted by byof_america (1911 posts) -

Used to, but it gives me a headache so I keep the lights on.

#18 Posted by VagrantSnow (96 posts) -

If watching a movie I really want to see, I'll always have the lights turned off but any other movie or playing games I'll have the lights on.

#19 Edited by Ezekiel43 (729 posts) -

I usually wait until dusk because my living room isn't dark enough even with the lights off and blinds closed. I have blackout curtains in the bedroom, but they're not quite wide enough. Yes, I want it dark when I'm enjoying cinema or games.

#21 Posted by Peasly (225 posts) -

Don’t watch much terrestrial tv boring in UK. Watch films/play games with lights on if at night during day.... no