Red Sox vs. Dodgers in World Series! Who wins?

#1 Posted by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

Well, the Sports discussion threads are basically dead, so I figured I would more likely get an answer here before the series ends.

Ok, I am a dedicated Red Sox fan (Phillies in National League), and have been since I was 8 years old playing baseball for the pee-wee league Red Sox in 1969. Carl Yazstremski was my favorite player and we all collected and traded baseball cards. Fun times.

That being said, even stepping back and taking an unbiased view I don't see the Sox losing this. I think they already beat the 2nd best team in baseball, the Houston Astros. I don't think the Dodgers can stop the Red Sox hitting, and they have already beat up on good pitchers.

What are your thoughts?

I see Red Sox in 6.

#2 Edited by robert_sparkes (1769 posts) -

As uk baseball fan I've always been fascinated with the yankies but cant begrudge the Red Sox who have certainly been playing some top baseball. Beating the astros will certainly give them the confidence to beat the dodgers.

#3 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -

Sox I think, but damn if the Dodgers aren't defying every expectation this season. "They'll never make the playoffs, they're in too deep a hole," well..."they'll never beat the Brewers, Milwaukee's just a better team," well..."Boston just has a better lineup. They're up two runs on Sale, he never loses with a lead like that," I guess we'll see how that last one plays out.

Also, this might just be the best pitching matchup of a generation. If they can stay healthy for a while, they're both future Hall of Famers.

#4 Edited by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@theone86:

Honestly though the Dodgers were expected to beat the Brewers, it didn't matter that the Brewers had Yelich, unarguably the MVP of the National League and on a hot streak before the series with the Dodgers began. Sure, the Brewers had a better season record but I'm certain they were the underdog in the Dodgers series.

The Dodgers put up a good fight tonight for awhile but Nunez, a guy I'm always critical of, came through. Wonder how bad J.D. is hurt. He looked good at the plate tonight. He hits Kershaw well.

Yeah, good pitching matchup, though neither was great tonight. Kershaw is a certain Hall of Famer like Verlander. Sale needs a couple more years of great pitching.

#5 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:

@theone86:

Honestly though the Dodgers were expected to beat the Brewers, it didn't matter that the Brewers had Yelich, unarguably the MVP of the National League and on a hot streak before the series with the Dodgers began. Sure, the Brewers had a better season record but I'm certain they were the underdog in the Dodgers series.

The Dodgers put up a good fight tonight for awhile but Nunez, a guy I'm always critical of, came through. Wonder how bad J.D. is hurt. He looked good at the plate tonight. He hits Kershaw well.

Yeah, good pitching matchup, though neither was great tonight. Kershaw is a certain Hall of Famer like Verlander. Sale needs a couple more years of great pitching.

They had some really good innings, but I don't think anyone could get through these lineups unscathed. In the age of pitching, it's hitters taking the best pitchers in the game to school. Go figure.

Same tonight. Some really good pitching, but one mistake and they pay for it.

Most pundits think Kershaw needs a couple more seasons to be a shoe-in, though a lot of people have pointed out he's already ahead of Koufax in a lot of categories. Sale is younger. If he keeps this pace up through a typical MLB career he'll be a shoe-in, too.

#6 Posted by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@theone86:

Yes, pretty sure Red Sox have this, interesting to see how they make an adjustment to the NL park between the extent of J.D.'s injury and Mookies ability to play 2nd. Eovaldi is proving to be an excellent set-up man and Kimbrel seems to be back.

If I recall correctly, Koufax was either a late bloomer or he retired early. He was amazing in the 60's.

#7 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:

@theone86:

Yes, pretty sure Red Sox have this, interesting to see how they make an adjustment to the NL park between the extent of J.D.'s injury and Mookies ability to play 2nd. Eovaldi is proving to be an excellent set-up man and Kimbrel seems to be back.

If I recall correctly, Koufax was either a late bloomer or he retired early. He was amazing in the 60's.

Well, Dodgers Stadium is a known pitchers park, so if anything can silence the Red Sox bats it's that. Of course, that also means that Porcello, Eovaldi, and Kimbrel are going to have an advantage there as well. If Chris Sale gets a start in that park, wow.

Koufax started his career at twenty, so slightly late but not by a lot. He struggled his first two seasons, almost quitting the game completely. He then played 10 more. While his retirement was sudden and unexpected, it wasn't a horribly short career at 12 years. He said he wanted to leave the game before he became worn out and miserable. If Kershaw, who is at 10 years now, can play at this level for two more then he'll almost certainly reach the statistical milestones that Hall voters look at.

#8 Posted by Shmiity (6121 posts) -

Red Sox fan here. I live about 45 minutes from Fenway Park.

I see the Red Sox winning the series (currently watching game 3 in Extras). Up 2-0, Offense rolling, pitching has been good... I think we overmatch the Dodgers. But baseball is a crapshoot sport anyway so who knows?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#9 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) -

Well that sucked. Such a horrible feeling to watch a 7 hour game just to see my team lose like that. I feel bad for Eovaldi. Guy throws 100 pitches out of the pen all in extra innings where any swing could end the game and loses.

We're still up 2-1 but our rotation is all out of sorts after this. I'm guessing Rodriguez will start tomorrow (or tonight since its already almost 4am).

#10 Posted by theone86 (22328 posts) -
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Well that sucked. Such a horrible feeling to watch a 7 hour game just to see my team lose like that. I feel bad for Eovaldi. Guy throws 100 pitches out of the pen all in extra innings where any swing could end the game and loses.

We're still up 2-1 but our rotation is all out of sorts after this. I'm guessing Rodriguez will start tomorrow (or tonight since its already almost 4am).

I think it was a mistake on Cora's part to be that aggressive. Not only has he been emptying his bullpen for three games now, but he's gassed two of his starters by using them in relief roles. If you leave Kimbrel in there or pull Eovaldi earlier then you might lose the game, but who cares? You're up 2-0. There was no reason for Boston to fight as hard as it did in order to win that game.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#11 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12508 posts) -
@theone86 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I think it was a mistake on Cora's part to be that aggressive. Not only has he been emptying his bullpen for three games now, but he's gassed two of his starters by using them in relief roles. If you leave Kimbrel in there or pull Eovaldi earlier then you might lose the game, but who cares? You're up 2-0. There was no reason for Boston to fight as hard as it did in order to win that game.

Rodriguez was great tonight aside from 1 mistake pitch to Puig. The bats finally came alive in the late innings. Especially Pearce.

Many of Cora's decisions all postseason have been head scratching but they keep paying off with the exception of game 3. We really need to wrap this up in game 5 with Sale pitching though. I still don't trust Price in the playoffs despite him pitching well last time.

#12 Edited by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag:

Luckily Price shut them down, I'm very happy for him and the Sox. He, Pearce, and Eovaldi were great stories. Pearce grew up a Red Sox fan, that must be the ultimate drean, hitting HR's in the World Series for your team, and then being named MVP!

I sure hope Eovaldi stays on the team I like him personally as well from what I've seen.

As for Cora I thought he was getting a little to Kimbrel-happy, much more impressed with Kelly. Kimbrel wasn't Kimbrel. But heh it worked out.

#13 Posted by PSP107 (17285 posts) -

@AFBrat77:

Why were the ratings down despite having two big market teams competing?

#14 Posted by AFBrat77 (26643 posts) -

@PSP107:

Baseball is just not that popular anymore nationally compared to basketball and American football. Personally I like baseball better than either. Probably mostly just Red Sox and Dodgers fans watching, Red Sox were supposed to win easy anyways. Maybe people saw it as inevitable, seems alot of people are tired of Boston area teams winning anyways.

#15 Edited by PSP107 (17285 posts) -

@AFBrat77: "Baseball is just not that popular anymore nationally compared to basketball and American football. "

Baseball is losing they're appeal to kids.

" seems alot of people are tired Boston area teams winning anyways."

Red Sox are definitely ain't darlings anymore.