Favourite Concept Album

#1 Posted by thehig1 (7064 posts) -

I haven't listened to many concept albums, my favourite I've only recently listened to, and thats Pink Floyd The Wall.

On repeated listens it coming close to my favourite album of all time, I like some of Floyds music and general sound, but the story behind the wall gripped and how the emotion is portrayed perfectly through lyrics and the music.

So now I'm on the hunt for another concept album to listen too, I'll have to give Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche a listen, not listened to them for years.

So what is your favourite concept album, if any ?

#2 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15632 posts) -

Tommy (The Who) is a classic and is many peoples introduction to concept albums. There's a few by Lou Reed but Berlin takes it. Ween has The Mollusk, which actually inspired the creation of Sponge Bob.

Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Primus, Rush, motherfreaking JOHNNY CASH...too many to name, man. How to even pick a fav?

Hell, here...have some Lou Reed.

Loading Video...

#3 Posted by thehig1 (7064 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: thanks will try out lou Reed, the guy who got me into the wall is also trying to get into some lou reed so that makes sense

#4 Posted by Vaidream45 (1535 posts) -

Operation Mindcrime takes the cake for me. Metropolis Part 2 by Dream Theater is also fantastic.

#5 Posted by thehig1 (7064 posts) -

@vaidream45 said:

Operation Mindcrime takes the cake for me. Metropolis Part 2 by Dream Theater is also fantastic.

Agree with Mindcrime, it was my favourite until I discovered the Wall.

Mindcrime is great album seen them perform the album in full in Leeds back in 2008.

#6 Posted by Vaidream45 (1535 posts) -

@thehig1: oh forget all about Leeds. Check out operation livecrime. That came out the year after Mindcrime. The best recorded performance of it ever. It’s available on almost every music platform and theres even live videos of it. You won’t regret it. I actually prefer to listen to this live version more than the studio record. After this you will forget allllll about Leeds because by 2008 their main guitarist Chris DeGarmo left the band and it wasnt the same.

#7 Posted by warmblur (1298 posts) -

Marilyn Manson Mechanical Animals.

#8 Posted by HEATHEN75 (545 posts) -

Not big on concept albums but I did watch Alice Cooper's Welcome to my nightmare and enjoyed that.

#9 Posted by thehig1 (7064 posts) -

@vaidream45 said:

@thehig1: oh forget all about Leeds. Check out operation livecrime. That came out the year after Mindcrime. The best recorded performance of it ever. It’s available on almost every music platform and theres even live videos of it. You won’t regret it. I actually prefer to listen to this live version more than the studio record. After this you will forget allllll about Leeds because by 2008 their main guitarist Chris DeGarmo left the band and it wasnt the same.

It was at Leeds University in a small gym, it was awesome I'll never forget that night.

Seen Operation Livecrime(I have the DVD), its incredible and a better performance with the band being younger etc.

However I was there for Leeds and such an intimate venue getting drunk and rocking to Queensyrche was my best concert experience ever

#10 Posted by Vaidream45 (1535 posts) -

@thehig1: oh that totally makes sense! That’s awesome.

#11 Posted by kingkilla3 (17185 posts) -

My favourite concept albums are "Tumbleweed Connection" by Elton John, with its theme of Americana (each song has an isolated story though), and "Blood Mountain" by Mastodon, essentially about climbing a mountain and struggling in the wilderness looking for the "Crystal Skull".

#12 Posted by iwilson1296 (2420 posts) -

From Mars to Sirius by Gojira

#13 Edited by Brag (15 posts) -

Foxtrot - Genesis

Selling England by The Pound - Genesis