Super Mario 64 is the most influential game of all-time

#1 Posted by Ntsshap4 (31 posts) -

This is arguably my favorite game of all-time. This video goes over what this game means to the gaming industry as a whole, but it's so good that it still holds up today as a Triple A title.

Even if you have never played Super Mario 64 before, you would enjoy it tremendously, without any nostalgic background at all.

#2 Posted by LuxuryHeart (988 posts) -

Great game, but no. If any game on the N64 was the most influential, I would say Zelda. That game literally inspired every open world action game that we see today. Even SKYRIM ripped them off. It's also why I don't understand why people say that Breath of the Wild ripped Skyrim and The Witcher off. Those games ripped them off, so technically Nintendo ripped themselves off.

#3 Posted by KBFloYd (21242 posts) -

i'd kill for an HD remake of this.

the Ds version would have been amazing but the graphics and controls held it back.

#4 Posted by Theproof (41 posts) -

Easily one of the top 5 games ever made imo.

#5 Edited by Glitch- (287 posts) -

I'll check out the video later, but it is definately one of the funnest games ever. Not sure if I feel the Galaxy games and Odyssey have surpassed it yet though. Not sure.

#6 Edited by uninspiredcup (30065 posts) -

Influential but pretty far from "the most".

Something like DnD for example is far more influential.

#7 Posted by paulschmitter7 (9 posts) -

I've only played the ds version but that game is legendary

#8 Edited by robotronx (19 posts) -

It is #1 as the most influential ever made. Those who disagree are probably younger than 20 years old. It was first 3D game on console to look absolutely beautiful and play just as well. Zelda OOT uses the same engine. To this day even Mario Odyssey is just a better looking Mario 64 with more mechanics.

Nintendo showed the world how to transform a 2D platform to a 3D one and never looked back. If you disagree you are completely wrong.

#9 Posted by CC4893 (5 posts) -

Golden Eye is

#10 Posted by qx0d (210 posts) -

I would say the most influential video game would be Grand Theft Auto 3.

#11 Edited by iambatman7986 (2722 posts) -

It did change the way we played games with the 360 degree controls. Plus it is a great game with amazing level design.

#12 Posted by xwingz900 (27 posts) -

I agree, 3D platforms were nothing before this game came out and let's not forget it's influence in the speed run community!

#13 Posted by AixmeetNSCase (7 posts) -

Ha so nice. Reminds me of my childhood!

#14 Posted by Longsnout (152 posts) -

Not by a long shot.

#16 Posted by Todddow (907 posts) -

Influential as far as 3D, sure. Mario games suck though. Goldeneye was so much better.

#17 Edited by TonyT316 (7 posts) -

Yes, it is the most influential game of all time. I agree 100%.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#18 Posted by storm_of_swords (2566 posts) -

It's not my favorite since I prefer 2D Mario, but it's definitely the most influential game of all time. Anybody that disagrees with that probably did not play the game when it was first released and therefore will never be able to fully understand how truly revolutionary this game was when it first released and how it had an influence on pretty much every good 3D game that followed.

#19 Posted by Krab (7 posts) -

Hey guys, i would like to share with you this hystorical tour of most of the nintendo games so far. Hope you enjoy it. :3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF04knspYoI&t=30s