Nintendo 64 has an odd visual problem

Avatar image for regularvideogamekid
#1 Edited by Regularvideogamekid (7 posts) -

I just got an n64 out of a truck that was just sitting for a month. But when I plug it in and play it. (With my existing cords that work fine...) it only shows one color. RED. The games are still playable, if you have zero nostalgia. But I would really like to play my n64 in color. Help. (All cables, the system, and the tv, are ntsc)

#2 Edited by xwingz900 (25 posts) -

Regularvideogamekid marked this as the best answer

@regularvideogamekid: Yeah your only remaining option is to take it in. Consoles like the 64 aren't made to withstand extreme temperatures so it's very possible the electronics were damaged. Taking it to a local retro store is your best bet.

#3 Edited by xwingz900 (25 posts) -

@regularvideogamekid What kind of video input are you using? (i.e. coaxial, composite, s-video) Best case scenario is that your video cable is messed up and you need a new one. It's possible that your N64's video port was messed up though, meaning you'll need to take it somewhere to get the soldering on the port fixed (unless you wanna try it yourself which I don't recommend). Another problem might be that you're trying to play in composite on a component video channel (unlikely but you never know). Make sure that if you're using the red white in yellow cables that they're plugged into the appropriate ports. If you're using a newer, HD Flat screen, it might not have video support for composite video. I just spewed out a lot of possibilities so if you have any questions please ask, I'll try to respond as soon as possible.

#4 Edited by Vaidream45 (1423 posts) -

Lol. Sounds like the virtual boy

#5 Edited by Regularvideogamekid (7 posts) -

@xwingz900: I know the visual cable is okay, because I used in my GameCube, and it worked fine. Also I have a crt tv and the only ports it has is composite. So should I take it to video games etc. or something? Would the temperature effect it? I live in Iowa, and found it in the winter.

#6 Edited by Regularvideogamekid (7 posts) -

@xwingz900: how much does it usually cost to repair something like that?

#7 Posted by xwingz900 (25 posts) -

@regularvideogamekid: I don't know the answer to that, it's gonna depend on where you take it and how severe the problem is.