How good are the Switch controls (handheld mode) for platformers?

#1 Posted by ProtossRushX (4816 posts) -

the d-pad looked kinda cheap on the joy cons I plan to use the switch only as a handheld does the controls work good enough or do you think i should wait for a revamp version of the switch?

#2 Edited by KBFloYd (21229 posts) -

@ProtossRushX said:

the d-pad looked kinda cheap on the joy cons I plan to use the switch only as a handheld does the controls work good enough or do you think i should wait for a revamp version of the switch?

you are better off using the analog stick imo... i dont use the "dpad" for any games. that includes shovel knight and all platformers. analog stick is the way to go for me.

#3 Posted by Nuck81 (7113 posts) -

@KBFloYd: I’m the opposite. I don’t use the analog for anything unless I have too. Not even for Mario kart.

You have way more precise control with the dpad on 2d platformers.

#4 Posted by KBFloYd (21229 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

@KBFloYd: I’m the opposite. I don’t use the analog for anything unless I have too. Not even for Mario kart.

You have way more precise control with the dpad on 2d platformers.

but the dpad on the pro control and joycons dont feel right to me.

#5 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (1522 posts) -

I love the dpad on the joycons. I wasn't a fan of another set of plain buttons for a dpad at first but, I have really grown fond of it and play platform games all the time. I play Azure Striker Gunvolt, Cave Story, a and a few other games with it.

#6 Posted by helenmai (4 posts) -

Yeah definitely

#7 Posted by sonic_spark (5667 posts) -

I would say d-pad. I played Sonic Mania Plus (100% the whole thing, thought I'd brag) and it took some time to get used to, but considering the precision you need, it was better than the joystick. Though, I wish Nintendo put a dpad in as they make the best dpad imo.